26 Replies, 2,469 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

PUBG Style Battle Royale is Coming to Crytek's Futuristic Shooter Warface

PC Gamer has the story.

Quote:
Crytek are looking to capitalise on the battle royale explosion by adding the mode to their futuristic free-to-play shooter Warface. It's coming in the next update (no date is given), and it will hang around temporarily to allow the developer to gather feedback, tinker with the formula, and then reintroduce the final package later on.

Expect a large desert map and a ever-shrinking play zone with random loot—basically, it's the formula that PUBG proved grabs players and doesn't let them go. Crytek says that the map is the largest ever in the game, but from the looks of early footage (some international versions of the game already have the mode added) it only supports 16 players. Rather than parachute in, players are randomly spawned across the map.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

If Crytek can make it FUN then it's a good move.

I'm down for checking it out.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:22 AM   #3
ministryofwrath
Soul Reaper

Hey.... if pubg doesn't give us what they said I'm all fore the competition stepping up to the challenge
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:30 AM   #4
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
Hey.... if pubg doesn't give us what they said I'm all fore the competition stepping up to the challenge
It kind of sucks in some regards. While PUBG has already made quite a bit of money, when innovative little guys cannot see the full rewards for their innovation, they won't be able to innovate.

We'll see this become a bigger problem as games turn into "Game as a service" more readily and publishers have dedicated teams out trolling to add The Next Big Thing into their game before the little guy can even get a foothold.

In short, you might have seen Warthog Soccer in Halo before Rocket League could even get off the ground.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:52 PM   #5
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
It kind of sucks in some regards. While PUBG has already made quite a bit of money, when innovative little guys cannot see the full rewards for their innovation, they won't be able to innovate.

We'll see this become a bigger problem as games turn into "Game as a service" more readily and publishers have dedicated teams out trolling to add The Next Big Thing into their game before the little guy can even get a foothold.

In short, you might have seen Warthog Soccer in Halo before Rocket League could even get off the ground.
PUBG was hardly doing much innovation. It's not like with titles like DayZ and Rust and the like this type of gameplay wasn't already being done, it's just PUBG became popular for whatever reason.

Most indie games suck, I hate to break that to you but it's just the honest truth. It wouldn't bother me to see half that shit go by the wayside, it would certainly make steam easier to browse without all the clutter from indie shit all over the place.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

I understand they want to copy the success of PUBG, but personally I'm really sick of these games. I want more co-op games with progression and RPG elements.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
Exodus
Evil Dead

If they can do better then let them enter the arena and come out victorious. Let's be real here it took pubg over a year to introduce vaulting. If it's going to take a year for every innovation I'll gladly let the next guy who can do it better to begin get my support.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #8
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

I hope bethesda does a pubg style skyrim!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

I don't own PUBG, haven't played it, and I find myself wondering what the hell differentiates it from the million other multiplayer shooters out there. They all involve maps with boundaries, running around, shooting at other players, scoring points...so what's the big evolution to that formula in PUBG?

Not getting it...
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I don't own PUBG, haven't played it, and I find myself wondering what the hell differentiates it from the million other multiplayer shooters out there. They all involve maps with boundaries, running around, shooting at other players, scoring points...so what's the big evolution to that formula in PUBG?

Not getting it...
People like the thrill of the 1 against 100. The scale of the battle royale games and then being the last one standing is a huge thrill. The extra mechanics of forcing people out of any comfortable spot they might have been camping out in means you can't just stand still and survive and win.

Any engagement draws the ears of others who might come up and take out the winner while the winner is trying to recover so care is necessary but being aggressive is also a requirement for winning.

In PUBG has the standout mechanic of attachments like scopes and extra doodads to improve your weapons. Others have different gimmicks like Fortnite's building.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I most recently worked on a BR game. I don't now so I can talk about 'em
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crytek, warface