Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Six years later, Star...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 05:23 PM
33 Replies, 2,429 Views
Battlefield V Single...
Last post by Chief Smash
Today 04:55 PM
21 Replies, 908 Views
Switch Diablo III:...
Last post by Terran
Today 02:08 PM
35 Replies, 1,490 Views
Spider-Man PS4 DLC The...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 12:18 PM
10 Replies, 561 Views
Venom Swings into the #1...
Last post by MADxMrMike
Today 07:09 AM
19 Replies, 1,343 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 08:21 PM
2,612 Replies, 316,904 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Metal Jesus
Yesterday 01:19 PM
4 Replies, 710 Views
Thronebreaker: The...
Last post by Exodus
Yesterday 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,347 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 31,166
Blog Entries: 58
PUBG Becomes Xbox One Sensation Surpassing 3 Million Players in a Month


Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
In one month, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - you might have heard of it - has amassed 3 million players on Xbox One. This doesn't equate exactly to sales (as many of you have pointed out - my apologies) as multiple accounts can access a game on an Xbox One. PUBG raced to 1 million players in 48 hours on Xbox One.

Microsoft announced the milestone overnight, clearly pleased with itself for bringing the gaming sensation of 2017 to Xbox One before Sony looks anywhere near doing similar for PlayStation 4.

Remember, PUBG is available unfinished on Xbox One via the Xbox Game Preview programme - a kind of early access service Sony does not offer in any form on PlayStation 4. Microsoft also worked on the Xbox One conversion itself, keen to strike while the iron was hot.

The plan is to have PUBG on PS4 eventually, though.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Primus
Valar Morghulis
 
Primus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairfax Ruins
Posts: 2,422
Shit is so much fun. My friend's list is nothing but this lately.
__________________
XBL: Primus DCE

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.
 
IGXGamingTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 269
Yeah ... I just don't get the hook w/ this game. Ninety percent of my playing time has been spent collecting loot only to be destroyed by some douche bag hiding in a closet. It's Call of Duty camping on steroids. I've said it once and I'll say it again, this game is a passive gamer's wet dream. Maybe it's more fun with a team, but solo it is a nightmare.

__________________
"Sometimes when you have to fight for what's right, you have to fight dirty." -Deadpool
IGXGamingTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGXGamingTV View Post
Yeah ... I just don't get the hook w/ this game. Ninety percent of my playing time has been spent collecting loot only to be destroyed by some douche bag hiding in a closet. It's Call of Duty camping on steroids. I've said it once and I'll say it again, this game is a passive gamer's wet dream. Maybe it's more fun with a team, but solo it is a nightmare.

I don't get the allure either! 95% of everyone playing will never get good enough and end up just being fodder for the "elite" players. Sorry, but I'm not going to play something where I just end up being someone else's conquest over and over and over, nevermind the horrendous graphics and frame rates.
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:21 AM   #5
Azrael
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 3,191
Went to my friends house to check out his sweet new rig. He had bought PUBG and played about 7-8 hours of it, was unimpressed thought I would give it a go.

Jump out the plane, as i ran around for 15 minutes exploring and picking up guns I hadnt seen a single sole. Made it to last 15 people alive. Then I was shot in the back and game was over. 15 minutes, I hadnt fired a bullet and the experience was over.

I quit the game, told my mate it was shit and uninstalled it from his computer (to be fair I was drunk). He wasnt even mad, my experience was the same thing he had had over and over.

Maybe fortnite is better?
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #6
Methos
Savior of Boleteria
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,197
Blog Entries: 1
Played with close friends in squad, this game is a blast. Playing solo, or with randoms; not fun at all IMO.
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #7
blackzc
Evil Dead
 
blackzc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I am boot, hear me win!
Posts: 6,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post

Maybe fortnite is better?
Its all the same. Unless you want to eat sleep and shit the game i cant imagine it being much fun.
__________________
Nintendo: A guiding light in a sea of video game degeneracy
blackzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
Hagetaka
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,649
Playing with a group of friends is the way to play. Duos are decent, but a full squad can be pretty enjoyable. You still get moments of running around collecting loot for 20 minutes, followed by a merciless death. But, often enough you find yourself in intense firefights that require skill, terrain related positioning (elevation, typically), and coordinated movement. Gets the heart pumping.
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
TheMadHatter
Squire
 
TheMadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: texas
Posts: 25
works great for me on pc =D
TheMadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Went to my friends house to check out his sweet new rig. He had bought PUBG and played about 7-8 hours of it, was unimpressed thought I would give it a go.

Jump out the plane, as i ran around for 15 minutes exploring and picking up guns I hadnt seen a single sole. Made it to last 15 people alive. Then I was shot in the back and game was over. 15 minutes, I hadnt fired a bullet and the experience was over.

I quit the game, told my mate it was shit and uninstalled it from his computer (to be fair I was drunk). He wasnt even mad, my experience was the same thing he had had over and over.

Maybe fortnite is better?
Same. Hated it. A friend purchased it for me and I tried to get into it maybe 3-4 different times.

It is an average shooter with average mechanics, well below average visuals, pretty poor level design, it's full of bugs, it's an un-optimized mess,and apparently the "hook" is that you're all shoehorned into a confining space so you can't camp. The randomness of loot spawn will destroy several matches for you in a row at times. It's clunky. It controls clunky. It crashes with fair frequency, it suffers from ungodly pop-in, it's community is garbage, the gun-play is average. (buy hey, you can upgrade your guns and armor as you play - that's never been done before) And on and on. I'd struggle to give the game anything more than the label of "average", and in my mind, that's being generous.

And I look at how much polish and effort are put into some brilliant games that sadly went up against PUBG for game of the year this year and think...not only is it sad that gamers are telling the industry that an incomplete mess is AS GOOD as masterpiece quality games, I wondered how the hell PUBG did well at all.

But then I remember how well Candy Crush Saga did. I see what scores in all the money at the box office. I hear popular music on the radio. The masses never have good taste
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #11
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead
 
Kreigmstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunny, FL
Posts: 1,332
Article forgets to mention that MS gave away PUBG to anyone who bought a One X.
__________________
Gamertag: Kreigmstr
Kreigmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #12
hurstshifter
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 274
People seem pretty polarized on this game, but I really love it (PC player since about September/October). I don't much care for solo, but I especially love Duo and Squad is a lot of fun as well. Working together to take down other teams, listening carefully for footsteps, and the excitement of finding that rare gun/scope is a blast. You have to be very tactical in this game, and at least on the PC side, the technical issues have been mostly ironed out.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #13
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter
 
Demo_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,773
Blog Entries: 7
PUBG is getting a lot more attention than it deserves.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 504
Thats crazy, could you image if it had more than 2 maps and wasn't so buggy?
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Article forgets to mention that MS gave away PUBG to anyone who bought a One X.
Uhhh no. I bought an X1X and it didn't come with PUBG at all.
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Uhhh no. I bought an X1X and it didn't come with PUBG at all.
The game was, in fact, given away for free. The offer was only available for consoles purchased between December 17-31 in "select areas".
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #17
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead
 
Kreigmstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunny, FL
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The game was, in fact, given away for free. The offer was only available for consoles purchased between December 17-31 in "select areas".
I didn't actually realize it when i bought it. But i saw an article like this and went back to check my receipt. The guy at GameStop didn't even mention it to me, though it was pretty packed the week after christmas.
__________________
Gamertag: Kreigmstr
Kreigmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:22 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
I didn't actually realize it when i bought it. But i saw an article like this and went back to check my receipt. The guy at GameStop didn't even mention it to me, though it was pretty packed the week after christmas.
Yeah, it seemed like the promotion was a bit of a clusterfuck; it apparently wasn't available everywhere, stores weren't telling customers and you had to buy the console within a two-week window to actually get it.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #19
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7,146
Battle Royale games are the new MOBAs; expect to see the industry flooded with them by major players. PUBG was the only one built from the ground up to be a BR game which may be why it is doing well. It has also throttled the microtransactions earning good will from a community which has been squeezed by other games like H1Z1.

Amazon Games has one announced called the Crucible which I suspect is being done by the San Diego studio. This studio is run by John Smedley who was ousted by Daybreak a few years ago but while he was there he oversaw the beginning of H1Z1 which included the first mainstream BR mode. Before that most BR games were amatuer mods.

With the billion dollars made last year between PUBG, H1Z1, and Fortnite and probably hundred million players (though admittedly along with failed indy properties like "The Culling" and some which are up in the air like "Isle of Nyne") expect a very crowded pool as soon as other publishers see how they can tap into the market.

Pretty soon I suspect you either won't be able to trip over a franchise without finding the inevitable "Battle Royale" twist to one of their multiplayer modes or you'll see big bucks from people like Ubi and Activision filling studios to tap into the craze.

Personally I don't get it either. An H1Z1 match can take 30 minutes and you can die in two or three bullets delivered in quick succession by someone you can't even see because the graphics are so indistinct and gunplay can be so sloppy you're dead before you react. Waste of time.

But as I've said before, when the pros play it can be really entertaining to watch.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 7,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Battle Royale games are the new MOBAs; expect to see the industry flooded with them by major players. PUBG was the only one built from the ground up to be a BR game which may be why it is doing well. It has also throttled the microtransactions earning good will from a community which has been squeezed by other games like H1Z1.

Amazon Games has one announced called the Crucible which I suspect is being done by the San Diego studio. This studio is run by John Smedley who was ousted by Daybreak a few years ago but while he was there he oversaw the beginning of H1Z1 which included the first mainstream BR mode. Before that most BR games were amatuer mods.

With the billion dollars made last year between PUBG, H1Z1, and Fortnite and probably hundred million players (though admittedly along with failed indy properties like "The Culling" and some which are up in the air like "Isle of Nyne") expect a very crowded pool as soon as other publishers see how they can tap into the market.

Pretty soon I suspect you either won't be able to trip over a franchise without finding the inevitable "Battle Royale" twist to one of their multiplayer modes or you'll see big bucks from people like Ubi and Activision filling studios to tap into the craze.
Which is a shame because these games are all terrible, mobas are terrible, BR games are terrible. It's lazy development, I will not pay 60 dollars for multiplayer only titles, often with a single fucking map play area. It's asinine that people are willing to fund this shit.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pubg, pubg corporation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM.