Yesterday 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,347 Views

Old 01-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

PUBG Becomes Xbox One Sensation Surpassing 3 Million Players in a Month

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
In one month, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - you might have heard of it - has amassed 3 million players on Xbox One. This doesn't equate exactly to sales (as many of you have pointed out - my apologies) as multiple accounts can access a game on an Xbox One. PUBG raced to 1 million players in 48 hours on Xbox One.

Microsoft announced the milestone overnight, clearly pleased with itself for bringing the gaming sensation of 2017 to Xbox One before Sony looks anywhere near doing similar for PlayStation 4.

Remember, PUBG is available unfinished on Xbox One via the Xbox Game Preview programme - a kind of early access service Sony does not offer in any form on PlayStation 4. Microsoft also worked on the Xbox One conversion itself, keen to strike while the iron was hot.

The plan is to have PUBG on PS4 eventually, though.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Shit is so much fun. My friend's list is nothing but this lately.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.

Yeah ... I just don't get the hook w/ this game. Ninety percent of my playing time has been spent collecting loot only to be destroyed by some douche bag hiding in a closet. It's Call of Duty camping on steroids. I've said it once and I'll say it again, this game is a passive gamer's wet dream. Maybe it's more fun with a team, but solo it is a nightmare.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGXGamingTV View Post
Yeah ... I just don't get the hook w/ this game. Ninety percent of my playing time has been spent collecting loot only to be destroyed by some douche bag hiding in a closet. It's Call of Duty camping on steroids. I've said it once and I'll say it again, this game is a passive gamer's wet dream. Maybe it's more fun with a team, but solo it is a nightmare.

I don't get the allure either! 95% of everyone playing will never get good enough and end up just being fodder for the "elite" players. Sorry, but I'm not going to play something where I just end up being someone else's conquest over and over and over, nevermind the horrendous graphics and frame rates.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:21 AM   #5
Azrael
Evil Dead

Went to my friends house to check out his sweet new rig. He had bought PUBG and played about 7-8 hours of it, was unimpressed thought I would give it a go.

Jump out the plane, as i ran around for 15 minutes exploring and picking up guns I hadnt seen a single sole. Made it to last 15 people alive. Then I was shot in the back and game was over. 15 minutes, I hadnt fired a bullet and the experience was over.

I quit the game, told my mate it was shit and uninstalled it from his computer (to be fair I was drunk). He wasnt even mad, my experience was the same thing he had had over and over.

Maybe fortnite is better?
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #6
Methos
Savior of Boleteria

Played with close friends in squad, this game is a blast. Playing solo, or with randoms; not fun at all IMO.
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #7
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post

Its all the same. Unless you want to eat sleep and shit the game i cant imagine it being much fun.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
Hagetaka
Evil Dead

Playing with a group of friends is the way to play. Duos are decent, but a full squad can be pretty enjoyable. You still get moments of running around collecting loot for 20 minutes, followed by a merciless death. But, often enough you find yourself in intense firefights that require skill, terrain related positioning (elevation, typically), and coordinated movement. Gets the heart pumping.
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
TheMadHatter
Squire

works great for me on pc =D
TheMadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Went to my friends house to check out his sweet new rig. He had bought PUBG and played about 7-8 hours of it, was unimpressed thought I would give it a go.

Jump out the plane, as i ran around for 15 minutes exploring and picking up guns I hadnt seen a single sole. Made it to last 15 people alive. Then I was shot in the back and game was over. 15 minutes, I hadnt fired a bullet and the experience was over.

I quit the game, told my mate it was shit and uninstalled it from his computer (to be fair I was drunk). He wasnt even mad, my experience was the same thing he had had over and over.

Same. Hated it. A friend purchased it for me and I tried to get into it maybe 3-4 different times.

It is an average shooter with average mechanics, well below average visuals, pretty poor level design, it's full of bugs, it's an un-optimized mess,and apparently the "hook" is that you're all shoehorned into a confining space so you can't camp. The randomness of loot spawn will destroy several matches for you in a row at times. It's clunky. It controls clunky. It crashes with fair frequency, it suffers from ungodly pop-in, it's community is garbage, the gun-play is average. (buy hey, you can upgrade your guns and armor as you play - that's never been done before) And on and on. I'd struggle to give the game anything more than the label of "average", and in my mind, that's being generous.

And I look at how much polish and effort are put into some brilliant games that sadly went up against PUBG for game of the year this year and think...not only is it sad that gamers are telling the industry that an incomplete mess is AS GOOD as masterpiece quality games, I wondered how the hell PUBG did well at all.

But then I remember how well Candy Crush Saga did. I see what scores in all the money at the box office. I hear popular music on the radio. The masses never have good taste

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #11
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Article forgets to mention that MS gave away PUBG to anyone who bought a One X.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #12
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

People seem pretty polarized on this game, but I really love it (PC player since about September/October). I don't much care for solo, but I especially love Duo and Squad is a lot of fun as well. Working together to take down other teams, listening carefully for footsteps, and the excitement of finding that rare gun/scope is a blast. You have to be very tactical in this game, and at least on the PC side, the technical issues have been mostly ironed out.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #13
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

PUBG is getting a lot more attention than it deserves.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Thats crazy, could you image if it had more than 2 maps and wasn't so buggy?
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Article forgets to mention that MS gave away PUBG to anyone who bought a One X.
Uhhh no. I bought an X1X and it didn't come with PUBG at all.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Uhhh no. I bought an X1X and it didn't come with PUBG at all.
The game was, in fact, given away for free. The offer was only available for consoles purchased between December 17-31 in "select areas".
Old 01-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #17
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The game was, in fact, given away for free. The offer was only available for consoles purchased between December 17-31 in "select areas".
I didn't actually realize it when i bought it. But i saw an article like this and went back to check my receipt. The guy at GameStop didn't even mention it to me, though it was pretty packed the week after christmas.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:22 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
I didn't actually realize it when i bought it. But i saw an article like this and went back to check my receipt. The guy at GameStop didn't even mention it to me, though it was pretty packed the week after christmas.
Yeah, it seemed like the promotion was a bit of a clusterfuck; it apparently wasn't available everywhere, stores weren't telling customers and you had to buy the console within a two-week window to actually get it.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #19
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Battle Royale games are the new MOBAs; expect to see the industry flooded with them by major players. PUBG was the only one built from the ground up to be a BR game which may be why it is doing well. It has also throttled the microtransactions earning good will from a community which has been squeezed by other games like H1Z1.

Amazon Games has one announced called the Crucible which I suspect is being done by the San Diego studio. This studio is run by John Smedley who was ousted by Daybreak a few years ago but while he was there he oversaw the beginning of H1Z1 which included the first mainstream BR mode. Before that most BR games were amatuer mods.

With the billion dollars made last year between PUBG, H1Z1, and Fortnite and probably hundred million players (though admittedly along with failed indy properties like "The Culling" and some which are up in the air like "Isle of Nyne") expect a very crowded pool as soon as other publishers see how they can tap into the market.

Pretty soon I suspect you either won't be able to trip over a franchise without finding the inevitable "Battle Royale" twist to one of their multiplayer modes or you'll see big bucks from people like Ubi and Activision filling studios to tap into the craze.

Personally I don't get it either. An H1Z1 match can take 30 minutes and you can die in two or three bullets delivered in quick succession by someone you can't even see because the graphics are so indistinct and gunplay can be so sloppy you're dead before you react. Waste of time.

But as I've said before, when the pros play it can be really entertaining to watch.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Battle Royale games are the new MOBAs; expect to see the industry flooded with them by major players. PUBG was the only one built from the ground up to be a BR game which may be why it is doing well. It has also throttled the microtransactions earning good will from a community which has been squeezed by other games like H1Z1.

Amazon Games has one announced called the Crucible which I suspect is being done by the San Diego studio. This studio is run by John Smedley who was ousted by Daybreak a few years ago but while he was there he oversaw the beginning of H1Z1 which included the first mainstream BR mode. Before that most BR games were amatuer mods.

With the billion dollars made last year between PUBG, H1Z1, and Fortnite and probably hundred million players (though admittedly along with failed indy properties like "The Culling" and some which are up in the air like "Isle of Nyne") expect a very crowded pool as soon as other publishers see how they can tap into the market.

Pretty soon I suspect you either won't be able to trip over a franchise without finding the inevitable "Battle Royale" twist to one of their multiplayer modes or you'll see big bucks from people like Ubi and Activision filling studios to tap into the craze.
Which is a shame because these games are all terrible, mobas are terrible, BR games are terrible. It's lazy development, I will not pay 60 dollars for multiplayer only titles, often with a single fucking map play area. It's asinine that people are willing to fund this shit.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pubg, pubg corporation