2 Replies, 257 Views
Serious Sam 4: Planet...
Last post by ministryofwrath
Yesterday 09:10 AM
7 Replies, 903 Views

Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #21
Rommel
International Playboy

I am excited to see this--Looks very faithful and the cast is perfect. The eyes, however, they got the design wrong. They should have done something but making her a lemur and CONSTANTLY focusing each camera shot on that fact was a mistake.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #22
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I am excited to see this--Looks very faithful and the cast is perfect. The eyes, however, they got the design wrong. They should have done something but making her a lemur and CONSTANTLY focusing each camera shot on that fact was a mistake.
I think it was an enormous waste of resources making the eyes so pointedly omg she's an anime cyborg but I'll watch it anyway. Of course my pittance of contribution will be their wake up call but too bad.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #23
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Yikes, I thought this was a cut scene for a video game at first. Terrible CGI. For example, watch from 1:09 to 1:12 and tell me that's not the cut scene for an upcoming PS4 game...
Since when is any CGI that isn't completely and utterly unnoticeable, TERRIBLE CGI? This honestly looks like some of the best CGI I've ever seen. Say what you will about Cameron, but he wouldn't accept anything less.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:13 AM   #24
Paranoia
Evil Dead

I can't see myself enjoying this movie with that abnormal eyes.

Mass Effect Andromeda dead eyes is already caused gamers to get upset.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #25
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Watched it again with the girlfriend who adores the comic. Both agree it will be at least as big a flop as the Ghost in the Shell live action movie.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #26
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I think it looks great, but this will tank. The eye thing is precisely the kind of weird quirk that willl turn general audiences off.

They will keep saying “why are the eyes so weird? I didn’t like the eyes. I can’t get over the eyes.”
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Terran
Evil Dead

I have to agree that this will tank, in large part because of the doe-eyed strangeness as well as the unusual subject matter. This isn't Japan. We don't have millions of middle aged folks chasing after wide eyed pre-adolescent weirdness. Just 535 of them, plus nine and one more.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #28
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Looked great. I'll watch it. Of course I also thought Ghost in the Shell got a bad rap. Not having jerked off over every panel in the manga I went in fresh and found a pretty good movie in there.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #29
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Looked great. I'll watch it. Of course I also thought Ghost in the Shell got a bad rap. Not having jerked off over every panel in the manga I went in fresh and found a pretty good movie in there.
The anime film was also nothing like the manga. It took some of the details and concepts, but was not a good adaptation of the source material. But it was a good translation as a film. It is similar to Blade Runner and Total Recall where they were poor adaptations of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and We Can Remember it For Wholesale, respectively, but where good movies because they had respect for the source material and understood how they could be used to make a good movie.

Whereas I think Ghost in the Shell (2017) tried to just mimic the work before it, so what it tried to do on its own, it failed at, thereby making the iconic scenes feel cheap and unearned.
LostToys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #30
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
The anime film was also nothing like the manga. It took some of the details and concepts, but was not a good adaptation of the source material. But it was a good translation as a film. It is similar to Blade Runner and Total Recall where they were poor adaptations of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and We Can Remember it For Wholesale, respectively, but where good movies because they had respect for the source material and understood how they could be used to make a good movie.

Whereas I think Ghost in the Shell (2017) tried to just mimic the work before it, so what it tried to do on its own, it failed at, thereby making the iconic scenes feel cheap and unearned.
I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of the problem with many adaptations. Hitting an iconic scene means nothing when you skip all the foundation that leads to the iconic scene in the first place.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:17 AM   #31
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Yikes, I thought this was a cut scene for a video game at first. Terrible CGI. For example, watch from 1:09 to 1:12 and tell me that's not the cut scene for an upcoming PS4 game...
yeah. and then i thought the whole movie would be CGI.

thought perhaps cameron was going for something like Final Fantasy The Spirits Within, with the more "realistic CGI"

looks interesting in any case

someone mentioned we rely too much on CGI. go back and watch the original Blade Runner for a movie that today, looks better than CGI. and that was 1982. i agree with you. we have lost something - just as we did when Disney so long ago and started blending CGI into traditional animation, and then pretty much let CGI take over (thank you Pixar, but at least that was always Pixar's thing...)
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:05 AM   #32
ÜberJumper
Former Relic Stalker

I think the eyes will constantly remind us she is not human. We'll be seeing her human emotions but going "but she doesn't LOOK human?"
ÜberJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #33
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I saw a twitter comment I really agreed with a few days ago talking about how we aren’t invested at all in these Super Hero films because in the last act the main character always ends up fighting a CGI cartoon.

I agree. When you look at Winter Soldier with a real human villain, that’s always considered the best of the Marvel films.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #34
Scherge
Subscriber

Count me in the "What the hell were they thinking with those eyes?!?" camp. This is exactly what I DON'T want to see in a live-action adaptation. I have to admit that I'm not overly familiar with "Battle Angel Alita" (I even confused it with "Armitage III" there for a second), but I bet that in the whole manga, there isn't a single scene where a person on the street stares at or mentions her "doll-like" eyes, BECAUSE THEY'RE COMPLETELY NORMAL IN THAT WORLD! In manga and animé, eyes are just a way to transport a character's traits and alignment (like, chaotic good for most protagonists). In this trailer, though, I find them more distracting than any cybernetical limbs that were shown. Also, it seems the actors weren't made aware of the post-production effects, either, which is why Christoph Waltz almost pokes Alita in the eye when trying to comfort her. That's just wrong, in my opinion.

Case in point, I just looked up the Alita wiki, and one of the other main characters is a fully-human girl who's eyes are just (or at least nearly) as big as Alita's:

Old 12-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #35
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I saw a twitter comment I really agreed with a few days ago talking about how we aren’t invested at all in these Super Hero films because in the last act the main character always ends up fighting a CGI cartoon.

I agree. When you look at Winter Soldier with a real human villain, that’s always considered the best of the Marvel films.
I agree that the cap films are the only truly good marvel films, but I don’t think it has to do with the cgi. I think it has to do with the dumb “make it personal’ trope that winds up having heroes fighting villains to settle personal grudges that we don’t actually care about. Cap gets to fight Nazis. That’s something we understand. His heroism is genuine. So e en though he’s fighting The Red Skull, who is essentially a cgi monster, we get that hes fighting for what’s right.

Postmodernism and globalization is what ruins superhero movies, in my opinion. Because these movies have to be sold in all regions to all people, no matter what, heroes can’t ACTUALLY take a position on anything.They just fight... aliens.

I look at The Creed Of The Lone Ranger and feel like I see immediately what’s wrong with superheroes.

1. I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one.

2. That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

3. That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.

4. In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

5. That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

6. That "this government, of the people, by the people, and for the people," shall live always.

7. That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

8. That sooner or later... somewhere... somehow... we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

9. That all things change, but the truth, and the truth alone lives on forever.

10. I believe in my Creator, my country, my fellow man.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #36
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

You guys aren't paying attention to your FB feeds. All those cutesy pictures, mostly women, are taking that makes them look like furries, well a lot of them are making there eyes look like anime eyes all ready. I don't think it will be a big deal.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:46 AM   #37
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Dan View Post
You guys aren't paying attention to your FB feeds. All those cutesy pictures, mostly women, are taking that makes them look like furries, well a lot of them are making there eyes look like anime eyes all ready. I don't think it will be a big deal.
It's kind of jarring at the outset of a trailer that clocks in at less than two minutes...but, it's the sort of thing most folks would probably adjust/get used to over the course of a two hour run time.

While there will certainly be those who never adjust to it, Alita's eyes had already started to look less "off" by the end of the trailer (for me, at least)...so, I don't think I'd have much of a problem with it by the end of the movie.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:04 AM   #38
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
While there will certainly be those who never adjust to it, Alita's eyes had already started to look less "off" by the end of the trailer (for me, at least)...so, I don't think I'd have much of a problem with it by the end of the movie.
I'm on the same boat. By the end of the trailer I didn't care that much.

I hope it's good. Movies lately have been a disappointment.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #39
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's kind of jarring at the outset of a trailer that clocks in at less than two minutes...but, it's the sort of thing most folks would probably adjust/get used to over the course of a two hour run time.
That is a problem, though, because it means that there are going to be times where you are pulled back out of the film and become aware of her abnormal eye size. For example, when the doctor is wiping away a tear from her face. Any scene of intimacy will likely become distracting for this reason. Avatar had a similar issue whenever you had humans and the Navi in the same scene.
LostToys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #40
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:

Oh, I think it’s fine. I think me and many other people on this board will be fully okay with it. But out there amongst the “normal people”. Many people have a VERY strong aversion to “weird”. It almost borders on irrational.

Tags
alita: battle angel