20 Replies, 927 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Yesterday 08:05 PM
11 Replies, 1,026 Views

Old 11-11-2018, 01:07 AM   #21
Azrael
Evil Dead

I've been sucked into D2 + Forsaken for a couple weeks now. I think the game is really good (almost great). Gun play is tight, i like the way they seem to handle lag for a MMOFPS game. Its not without flaws and some of my time in the crucible has been horrible. Some quests are excessively grindy, ults need balance but it has promise (Titan Captain America ult and the one where the warlock flys and blows everything up).

Only thing is, i dont think they will be releasing content anywhere near quick enough to keep this game appealing in the long term.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:11 AM   #22
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I'll check it out man, I havent played a really good RTS in years.

OH, have have you heard of Ion Maiden? It's ^#$^ awesome. Spent the day playing that. 3D Realms game that plays like a smoother Duke Nukem 3D. It's already a better shooter than Destiny 2
It's actually turn based not an RTS, no base building, but there is unit management, pilot skill upgrades, upgrades to your drop ship that do various things like improve your medical skills to heal pilots quicker or repair mechs quicker etc. both a full fledged campaign and a career mode as well coming in the next patch in a couple weeks when the first expansion drops that will add chained story missions called flashpoints as well as a revamped reputation system with the various houses of the Inner Sphere (where the game takes place) Also there's another expansion coming next summer and a 3rd one that has no release date yet. The support for the game has been amazing. It's a Paradox published game, they actually bought the dev team right before they shipped it. (was a kickstarter title)
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #23
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Loving Destiny but I guess I always have. The grind to 600 was perfect. It took me 2 months to get to 600 and during those two months something new happened every week.

That was new in my Destiny experience. Usually I hit max Power in less than a month and just grind away little things like catalysts or different exotics to pass the time. But there is so much to grind for in the game now. Exotic Weapons/Armor, catalysts, God Rolls, Triumphs, Seals, Lore, etc... Having a great time. Plus Dreaming City is a sight to behold. And watching it change over time was really cool and rewarding.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #24
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
It's actually turn based not an RTS, no base building, but there is unit management, pilot skill upgrades, upgrades to your drop ship that do various things like improve your medical skills to heal pilots quicker or repair mechs quicker etc. both a full fledged campaign and a career mode as well coming in the next patch in a couple weeks when the first expansion drops that will add chained story missions called flashpoints as well as a revamped reputation system with the various houses of the Inner Sphere (where the game takes place) Also there's another expansion coming next summer and a 3rd one that has no release date yet. The support for the game has been amazing. It's a Paradox published game, they actually bought the dev team right before they shipped it. (was a kickstarter title)
The gushing you do for that Battletech game has gotten me to almost pick it up a few times, now. It's still on my list, but I've spent enough on games over the past few weeks.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #25
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The gushing you do for that Battletech game has gotten me to almost pick it up a few times, now. It's still on my list, but I've spent enough on games over the past few weeks.
I'll be the first person to say, that when it launched it was rough around the edges, the game wasn't polished, it didn't run all that great and it had a huge memory leak issue. That being said this dev team along with Paradox as the publisher has been excellent at engaging with the community, keeping them informed on what's in the pipe, and polish and bug fixing.

The game runs extremely well for me now a couple months in. Granted YMMV, Battletech is one of my favorite IP's going back to the pen and paper version back in the 80's, so I have a soft spot for it. But I really love the game alot, there's very few titles I'll sink a ton of time into, and according to Steam I'm over 600 hours, didn't even notice all that time going by. I really enjoy it. The campaign was fun and their first expansion is adding chained story contracts for after you finish the campaign that will further give people stuff to do and be rewarded for it with mechs, rare weapons etc. Really looking forward to it dropping at the end of November.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #26
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I'll be the first person to say, that when it launched it was rough around the edges, the game wasn't polished, it didn't run all that great and it had a huge memory leak issue. That being said this dev team along with Paradox as the publisher has been excellent at engaging with the community, keeping them informed on what's in the pipe, and polish and bug fixing.

The game runs extremely well for me now a couple months in. Granted YMMV, Battletech is one of my favorite IP's going back to the pen and paper version back in the 80's, so I have a soft spot for it. But I really love the game alot, there's very few titles I'll sink a ton of time into, and according to Steam I'm over 600 hours, didn't even notice all that time going by. I really enjoy it. The campaign was fun and their first expansion is adding chained story contracts for after you finish the campaign that will further give people stuff to do and be rewarded for it with mechs, rare weapons etc. Really looking forward to it dropping at the end of November.
Well damn, cool man. It's on my wishlist. Going to have to wait until payday, but I'll likely nip it up and give it a try.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #27
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Well damn, cool man. It's on my wishlist. Going to have to wait until payday, but I'll likely nip it up and give it a try.
If you do end up picking it up let me know whacha think of it.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #28
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
The difficulty curve was ENORMOUS. I had to restart several times from simply running out of money trying to keep my mechs repaired and my team fed. It was a very unforgiving game I eventually put down about 3/4 (estimated) through.

I had hoped once I got assault mechs it would change but all it did was increase my downtime and repair outlay.

I don't know what it is like now; they hadn't issued any patches when I stopped playing. In defense, outside of the memory leak the game never crashed once and the only real problems were design related.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #29
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
The difficulty curve was ENORMOUS. I had to restart several times from simply running out of money trying to keep my mechs repaired and my team fed. It was a very unforgiving game I eventually put down about 3/4 (estimated) through.

I had hoped once I got assault mechs it would change but all it did was increase my downtime and repair outlay.

I don't know what it is like now; they hadn't issued any patches when I stopped playing. In defense, outside of the memory leak the game never crashed once and the only real problems were design related.
See I didn't have any of the issues you did at all. My first time through it was difficult, but once I got the mechanics of the game down, figured out what pilot skills have synergy with each other, and realized that positioning and using cover as much as possible were the tools to cake walk, I stopped having issues at all. In fact most missions even end game are generally easy as pie.

Edit: I think the other place that you may have had issue with Vallor is mech builds. Most stock mech builds in Battletech and in mechwarrior in general are terrible builds, most stock builds have low armor and sub optimal weapon groups. If you're not editing your mechs to have near max armor and weapons that work well together, you're not going to have a very good or easy time. Just as an easy example let's take a look at the stock shadowhawk and vindicator medium mechs you start the campaign with. The SH has an AC 5, a single medium laser, an SRM2 and an LRM5 and isn't max armor. A better build to maximize survival and fire power would be that same AC5, 2 medium lasers, and an SRM6, removing the LRM gives you room to add more armor to the chassis as well and due to the range of said weapons they're all mid range to brawl distance weapons, they synergize and allow you not only more survivability but the chance to do better damage because with the exception of the AC5 the rest are all the same optimal range.

The Vindicator is much the same, it's stock with not full armor, a PPC, a single med laser, a single small laser, and an LRM5, this is a hodge podge setup stock. You want to stay mid range to get the best use of the PPC which means you're never using the small laser ever, you're better off dropping the LRM, dropping the small laser, adding an additional med laser and again an SRM6 and maxing armor. As just a couple examples. This really applies to every weight class in the game. The other major thing is positioning, know where the weapons on your mechs are located and when you're getting into battle position your strongest weapons AWAY from the arc of the enemy, this makes those components harder for the enemy to hit, also using skills like Bulwark combined with using cover like forests make that make that much harder to hit between the combination of damage reduction from both the skill itself, and being in cover. Btw skills are changing in the 1.3 patch that drops with Flashpoint, Juggernaut is being replaced by Coolant Vent, which will allow you to fire more but at the same time take extra heat penalties per round for 4 rounds (it's a cool down skill once every 4 rounds you can use it) Some minor changes to how sensor lock works (for the better) Evasive Movement is also being replaced by a skill called Sure Footing that works a little differently. The rest of the pilot skills remain unchanged.

Last edited by SpectralThundr; 11-13-2018 at 01:14 AM..
Old 11-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #30
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Great game that I will return to once the expansion drops for sure (gotta finish it up heh).

My only issue was that at least in the missions I got up to, there was no such thing as tonnage limits for a mission. So once you have 4 assault mechs there was no reason to run anything else. Kinda makes it a bit stale. Maybe that changes later, dunno.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #31
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Great game that I will return to once the expansion drops for sure (gotta finish it up heh).

My only issue was that at least in the missions I got up to, there was no such thing as tonnage limits for a mission. So once you have 4 assault mechs there was no reason to run anything else. Kinda makes it a bit stale. Maybe that changes later, dunno.
I'm not 100% on this but I believe some flashpoints actually do have tonnage limits on certain missions.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #32
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Vallor and anyone else interested, this is a link to a dev stream talking about the changes coming with 1.3 and the Flashpoints expansion. This will be the last time I hijack this thread for Battletech, sorry.

Tags
destiny 2 forsaken