Last post by vallor
Yesterday 11:42 PM
31 Replies, 2,007 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Steam's New Stats Page Reveals Huge Number Of Refund Requests

Valve continues to work on improving customer support. GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
A new blog post from Valve discusses the ongoing efforts to improve Steam's support operations. And while it didn't provide much new information about specifically how it continues to evolve its customer support, it does highlight just how big the task is. Valve currently sees an average of about 75,000 help requests every day, and recently it's averaged just under 10,000 requests per day that were left awaiting a response. That's a big decline from the 50,000-plus that fell in that category in January and February.

"Our goal going forward is to keep the backlog of requests shrinking and to be able to respond to all requests as quickly as possible," Valve explained.

Coinciding with this blog post, Valve has launched a stats page for support requests. This shows both the number of submitted requests on any given day and the number that are waiting for a response from Valve.

The page also breaks requests down into specific categories. This reveals how many refund requests or account security questions have been submitted over the past 24 hours, along with the typical response time. As of this writing, the last day has seen just over 48,000 refund requests, which were typically answered in 1.35 to 1.99 hours.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Sounds like there are a whole lot of people abusing the Steam refund system just to get a "demo" of popular games.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:59 AM   #3
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Sounds like there are a whole lot of people abusing the Steam refund system just to get a "demo" of popular games.
Hm. The number does seem high. However, how many games are sold (including everything from USD 0.99 to full price) on Steam every day? A million? More? Are there official stats for that? I can only find the download/bandwith chart, which says that - at any time of day - downloads are running at 1.5 to 2.5 Tb/s. That would mean between 20,000 and 25,000 TB a day, which could translate to ... uh... anything from 500,000 huge to 20 million smallish games. Of course, this number contains f2p games, DLC and mods, too, making my calculations even more hazy (or rather: completely obsolete). ... Can you "refund" free games?

tl;dr: I have no idea, but I find the subject fascinating. Does anyone know more?
Old 05-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

.... and 97.8% of those questions can most likely be answered by doing a simple Google search. -ExCustomerServiceRep
Old 05-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
.... and 97.8% of those questions can most likely be answered by doing a simple Google search. -ExCustomerServiceRep
While everyone was looking at the customer support numbers, Steam gutted their gifting system.

For good or ill all the workarounds and buying low, selling high that had been going on is going to come to an end.

Some are pissed because a missing revenue stream. Some are pissed because they now can't get games in their region through the grey market. Some are pissed because they don't like change. Others don't understand why anything had to change at all since it basically seemed like it was working and Valve rolled this out with their usual transparency (which is to say none).

What you have now is safe and snug but afaik anything from yesterday on is under this new policy.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pc master race, steam, valve, valve software