Last post by Dag-Sabot
Yesterday 10:49 PM
20 Replies, 1,401 Views

Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Marvelís Avengers: A-Day Official Trailer E3 2019

Quote:
Marvelís Avengers begins at A-Day, where Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor are unveiling a hi-tech Avengers Headquarters in San Francisco ó including the reveal of their own helicarrier powered by an experimental energy source. The celebration turns deadly when a catastrophic accident results in massive devastation. Blamed for the tragedy, the Avengers disband. Five years later, with all Super Heroes outlawed and the world in peril, the only hope is to reassemble Earthís Mightiest Heroes.

Marvel Entertainment and Square Enix are excited to unveil Marvelís Avengers, an epic action-adventure game that combines cinematic storytelling with single-player and co-operative gameplay. Developed by Crystal Dynamics in collaboration with Eidos-Montrťal, Nixxes Software, and Crystal Northwest, Marvelís Avengers will release simultaneously for the PlayStationģ4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X, Stadia, and PC on May 15, 2020.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The multiplayer sounds fun, but the art needs some serious work. The sections that looked like gameplay looked pretty fun, the cut-scene stuff was painful to watch. Made worse by the fact that none of the voices is even close to the movie characters.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Captain America is probably my favorite Avenger.

There I said it.

Anyways, I'm already feeling the need for more so I'll probably take a look at this.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

I just watched the Square Enix presentation. Hard cams on the super-fans for audience shots? Check. Paid-for streamers creaming all over the place over the Life Is Strange 2 cut-scenes? Check. Finish with Avengers and show zero game-play? Check.

You couldn't get more cringe. Now I remember why I don't watch these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The multiplayer sounds fun, but the art needs some serious work. The sections that looked like gameplay looked pretty fun, the cut-scene stuff was painful to watch. Made worse by the fact that none of the voices is even close to the movie characters.
I'm pretty sure that was simulated game-play. The likenesses didn't even come close to the movie characters. Not even the comic characters (not the ones I am used to at least). They had a short "sit-down" conversation with the voice actors during the presentation. Way more cringe than should be allowed. Nolan North is the voice of Tony Stark, though, so there is that.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 AM   #6
NESter the Unlikely
Subscriber

Why do people throw a tantrum if Marvel characters don't resemble/sound like their movie incarnations, now? I saw a Marvel Encyclopedia hardcover recently, that just had pictures of the movie characters on the cover, like the comic books never existed and Marvel was always just a movie studio. Now you can criticize the art direction for being ugly all day long, but whining that they don't look like the actors in the movies? Come the fuck on now.
NESter the Unlikely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:08 AM   #7
Scherge
Evil Dead

I'd say Bruce Banner looked somewhat like Mark Ruffalo's Hulk (which is okay by me, as I liked his always-tense portrayal of the character). Overall, though, the faces looked bland (almost like taken directly from the asset store), which was exacerbated by the way-too-subtle facial expressions. I felt reminded of SEGA's somewhat soulless "Iron Man" games on last-gen consoles.

What I found more aggravating, though, was the fact that even after 3 minutes, I have no idea what kind of game they're pitching here. For all I know, it could be a string of quick-time events, held together by a series of dialogue choices. I just hope it's not something like the LEGO games - button mashing, go to checkpoint, use character-specific ability, more button mashing, switch character, repeat. That was bad enough with a humorous storyline. I can only imagine how bad it would be in a more serious setting.

And who was that narrator? Squirrel Girl???
Old 06-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I think the problem here is that the characters don’t look like the comics or the movies, instead they look like generic stock assets of Marvel Characters.

It was a bad idea to show the game off in a state like that. I know they wanted to show something from Avengers because the stockholders expect it or there will be a sell off after the press conference, but showing off bad art is worse than showing off no art.

They should have held this one back until they had some better art in place.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Bruce Banner is very Avengers (2012) Mark Ruffalo. Tony Stark is painfully not-RDJ Tony Stark. I think I recognize that smarmy voice from other Marvel products, which I did not find as appealing. It's like Dan Castenella doing the Genie when you want Robin Williams.

Not a fan of SWAT Cap's look. Iron Man's suit and Hulk's look are alright. Widow is Widow.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
I think the problem here is that the characters don’t look like the comics or the movies, instead they look like generic stock assets of Marvel Characters.
I saw some comments today that these look like the stunt doubles instead of the main characters. Or maybe a cheap knock-off.

Say hello to "The Avenging Heroes", with "General Freedom", "Man of Metal", "The Green Monster", "Viking Lord", and Cobie Smulders as "Dark Spideress"!
Old 06-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
Xqa
Reaper

Who ever skinned those characters needs to find another line of work.
Xqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #12
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #13
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

The obviously aren't going to use RDJ, Chris Evans, etc... because that would mean they have to pay them too.

I would have made them look more like their comic book counterparts, but they aren't going to use movie likeness that is for sure.

I am not saying they look great, but they will never look like their MCU counterparts.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #14
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

First, let's talk about the visuals. With the Marvel license they couldn't get anything even close to any marvel iteration of any of these characters? There are dozens and dozens of recognizable and much improved variations of these characters faces and costumes to use.

Second, what kind of name is "A-Day"? This is a retarded title. It doesn't roll of the tongue at all and the implications of anything with an "A" is it is good - like "A Game". So not only is it awkward to say it is incongruity used with standard vernacular.

Finally, the scenario doesn't seem great in the context of the Marvel Universe as an attempt to shoehorn Watchman type tale into a Marvel game with another dash of Civil War which will end up being a thin framework considering the content restrictions Marvel has on their characters.

The geo-political environment of the watch Watchman was a character in and of itself in that series and was ever present and was always influencing the the characters who reacted to it as real people with real problems, physical and psychological. These won't be present with the Avengers because they are heroes even when they don't have their costumes on.

I don't think this game will work well but it will sell like gang busters because it is Marvel-Diabloish.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #15
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESter the Unlikely View Post
Why do people throw a tantrum if Marvel characters don't resemble/sound like their movie incarnations, now?
The problem is the costumes in the game resembles the ones from the movie so of course people expect some similarity when it comes to likeness of the characters.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:32 AM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I don’t think this game is going to sell unless they change the visuals. They have commented both that they are changing it and someone else from the team said they are standing by the art they created. I think that I feel sorry for the three teams putting this game together, because I guarantee that after the E3 reaction that heads are going to roll at these studios and everyone is going to be working 100+ hour crunch weeks while they re-do all the art assets.

The property is too big for Square to let it fail, so that means a complete re-work of all the art. Ouch.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #17
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Either go with a distinct comic style or go with a style clearly meant to imitate the films. This is sort of between the two and it just doesn't work.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:14 AM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I can’t get over that Square posted a picture of the developers working on this game. It was three teams of like 50+ people per team. All that staff and not a single person stood up and said that the art kinda sucked? None of those people is aware of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and how fantastic the characters all look? (The gameplay seems kinda lame and busy with too much explosions, but the characters are spot-on.)

I always wonder about that. I remember when we were working on Interstate ‘82 and like everyone on the team was telling the bosses that the art wasn’t very good and the gameplay wasn’t good and the executives and the lead designers just totally ignored everyone, but at least people were standing up and saying it was bad.
Old Today, 10:12 AM   #19
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
I always wonder about that. I remember when we were working on Interstate Ď82 and like everyone on the team was telling the bosses that the art wasnít very good and the gameplay wasnít good and the executives and the lead designers just totally ignored everyone, but at least people were standing up and saying it was bad.
Who did the art on that? A friend of mine worked Blur Studios as the systems administrator and he mentioned something about Interstate '82 and how his face was used for one of the heads in that game.

I still need to play it to see.

Tags
marvel's avengers