17 Replies, 907 Views
Favorite VR Games
Last post by GreenZA
Today 03:13 AM
1 Replies, 14,513 Views

Old 01-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

It's Sunday: What NFL Games Are You Watching?

Wild card play offs this weekend. Is your team still in the fight? Who would you like to see in the wild card spots, and who would you like to see go all the way?

What games are you watching?
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

The bills are mediocre. But somehow they are in the playoffs. Let's go Bills!
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Saints vs Panthers
Old 01-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

The flags, replay reviews and commercials are too much. The NFL has rule booked a fast paced sport into a slow slog. Ugh.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
The flags, replay reviews and commercials are too much. The NFL has rule booked a fast paced sport into a slow slog. Ugh.

It has gotten worse, no doubt. The quality of the games this entire year was poor.

Then again, we have BADASS gamers on the Packers.

Meet one of our linebackers, Blake Martinez, known in the DOTA 2 community as "pussyfucker69".

https://compete.kotaku.com/green-bay...rid-1821853674
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Agreed. It is fixable. I don't think most of the old farts in charge even know what the NFLs problems are though.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

I don't think it can be fixed because I don't think they see it as needing fixing; they just rehired the guy in charge, after all. The NFL is swirling the drain, it's just not obvious because their 'boat' started so high above the pipe, but they're headed down and broadcasters, who paid billions based upon eyeballs that are dropping away by the millions, are noticing and are pissed.

Too many issues. I've listed them before, too bored to do it again.

#NoFunLeague
#NoFansLeft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Supposedly, some of the owners have been heard to say that the biggest problem with the NFL is the Thursday night games. I do agree that the NFL is probably fixable but it won't actually be fixed. You'd need to change the whole culture around the sport right now.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Supposedly, some of the owners have been heard to say that the biggest problem with the NFL is the Thursday night games. I do agree that the NFL is probably fixable but it won't actually be fixed. You'd need to change the whole culture around the sport right now.
It's certainly one of the problems, for certain.

The NFL's time in the spotlight may be nearing its end. I don't think the league will go away anytime soon, but one of the other three major sports will easily slide into it's place.

My bet is on NHL.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Supposedly, some of the owners have been heard to say that the biggest problem with the NFL is the Thursday night games.
Well, they're the same morons who rehired Goodell in the midst of a cascade of issues he has either abdicated leadership on, been late getting around to, or directly caused himself. The list is long; here it is again (add to it!):

* Off-field behavior issues (criminality) among its employees going unaddressed. You don't get sanctioned unless the video comes out if you beat your wife/gf, but if you smoke a joint, you're done! Priorities; derp.
* On-field behavior issues (kneeling during flag) among its employees going unaddressed. Allowing the interjection of political positions by your employees during work, positions that piss off a substantial portion of your fan base, is a stupid idea. Morons.
* CTE/concussion issues that are rotting the foundation of the league. Pulling a player who receives a concussion is safety-theater just like the TSA at airports; it's completely ineffective, because the real issue is the repeated low-level (unaddressed) trauma of dozens of collisions each game bouncing players' brains around, not the more rare concussions that are obvious but ultimately less consequential to players' health.
* Game interruptions. Constant interruptions, for advertising, for reviews, for time-outs, for everything.
* An inability to consistently call the parameters of the game in a way that fans can understand and support. Is it a catch? Is it not a catch? Did he bobble it a microscopic amount, moving it at all? The game is replay theater with a few minutes of football attached, lol.
* Overexposure. NFL games are fewer than most sports, and used to be available in large part only on Sunday and Monday night. Now you also have Thursday and occasional Saturday games, as well as international games. Too much.
* Injuries. Probably tied to Thursday games as well as to a lack of full contact/pads practice time, the best players are getting hurt and that leaves fans bored/upset.
* Overprotective rules. Yes, injuries need to be lessened, but they've made the quarterback akin to Mother Theresa; don't hit her!

If I had to bet, I'd say that soccer will see the most growth in the next decade in the US. Most popular sport in the world, with lots of immigrants bringing its fandom to the US, and more popular now than baseball in the US among the young.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

This is pure opinion on my part but I don't see soccer being the next big thing. People have been saying it for a while and though it has grown in popularity, it doesn't seem to be taking hold of our national attention. I also don't think playing it when you're a kid necessarily translates into it being a big spectator sport. I can still remember one of my early grade school teachers telling us it would take over soon and that was probably 30 to 35 years ago. I think it has massive appeal to kids when they're young because of the low skill cap. A kid really only needs to be able to run to be able to play it. It's extremely accessible compared to other sports. But accessible doesn't necessarily translate into viewership.

As for the NHL, I love it but I also don't see it taking over. You need to be able to pull in the whole family to make a sport part of the national fabric and hockey doesn't seem to be able to do that in its current form. Maybe they'll bastardize it into something with broader appeal but right now, it's not there. And frankly I kind of like it that way.

If I had to guess, I'd say that baseball might make a resurgence in popularity to fill part of the void that's being left by the NFL's woes. Baseball is already built into our national identity and it seems less marred by the types of issues that are taking a bite out of the NFL. Maybe I'm wrong but the NFL won't die out. It will just matter less and something like baseball might start to just matter a bit more. Will any league in the US be as big as the NFL was over the past decade or two? I don't know. I don't think there has to be that one massively dominant thing.

Last edited by Chief Smash; 01-08-2018 at 03:00 PM..
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gameday, nfl, nfl game day