33 Replies, 2,132 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Report: Nintendo is Bringing The Legend of Zelda to Smartphones

Gamasutra has the story.

Quote:
Nintendo will bring its popular Legend of Zelda franchise to smartphones sooner rather than later, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal.

The outlet claims "people familiar with the matter" have said the company's upcoming Animal Crossing app will hit shelves in the second half of 2017, and will be followed up by the rumored Zelda title.

Although it's worth taking the news with a pinch of salt, Nintendo clearly has no qualms with bringing its biggest franchises to smartphones.

The Japanese console maker has already released mobile versions of its popular Super Mario and Fire Emblem games, and confirmed Animal Crossing will be heading to smartphones in the future.

With that in mind, it wouldn't be at all surprising to see Zelda make the jump to mobile, particularly if Nintendo is hoping to capitalize on the success of Breath of the Wild, which sold 2.76 million copies on the Switch alone.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

LOL at the idea that Nintendo's IP requires Nintendo hardware to make it work. That's bunk that clearly even Nintendo doesn't buy.

Looking forward to Nintendo becoming a platform-agnostic company as regards software. Sell it everywhere, Nintendo! EVERYWHERE!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

I have no interest in Nintendo games on mobile (phone) devices. I don't like how much monetizing intrudes on your gameplay in almost everything available for that market. It sucks that the mainstream buys into it because that means it won't go away anytime soon. But I get that I'm not the only one on the planet and everyone has the right to enjoy what they enjoy.

Such powerful little devices and yet I almost never play any games on my phone.
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Looking forward to Nintendo becoming a platform-agnostic company as regards software. Sell it everywhere, Nintendo! EVERYWHERE!
Wishful thinking. I would love to see Nintendo go this route because I generally love their games but abhor the hardware they put it on.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

I've gotten a solid amount of playtime out of Super Mario Run and a great deal more out of Fire Emblem Heroes (which just added a new chapter). If they can drop a Zelda title on par with those, I'll be all over it.

Kinda wondering what mobile genre standard lends itself best to a Zelda title though. Already have an endless runner and two 'gacha' games (if you count Pokemon Duel). Do we expect Animal Crossing Mobile to be a touch city builder?
Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Wishful thinking.
Except for the fact that they're putting their IP on non-Nintendo hardware. You know, the thing that the NDF around here called out as blasphemy and a blight upon the potential quality of the software, which is so inextricably linked to Nintendo hardware alone in their minds, lol.

So...not so wishful. Happening now. See the OP!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

In before Pat or screwydouche calls it best mobile game of all time.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:15 AM   #8
Juan
Evil Dead

If Nintendo want to cash grab from the Mobile market then so be it but but it's a very dangerous game as it devalues their franchises (which are already overly familiar). I will buy their genuine first party content but i have no interest in trash mobile games. There has never been a genuinely good videogame released on a mobile phone.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Except for the fact that they're putting their IP on non-Nintendo hardware. You know, the thing that the NDF around here called out as blasphemy and a blight upon the potential quality of the software, which is so inextricably linked to Nintendo hardware alone in their minds, lol.

So...not so wishful. Happening now. See the OP!
Uh... I'd like to remind you we don't defend shit. We're offensive. We're out to offend you.
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Well you're failing miserably. I remain deeply un-offended!
Old 05-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post
Uh... I'd like to remind you we don't defend shit. We're offensive. We're out to offend you.
Exactly.

Now, to untangle this web of shit:

Quote:
LOL at the idea that Nintendo's IP requires Nintendo hardware to make it work. That's bunk that clearly even Nintendo doesn't buy.
Have you played Super Mario Run? Have you played that Fire Emblem mobile game? Okay. Now.

Have you played Super Mario Maker, Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

I'm sure you can tell the difference.

They're not bringing their major games to mobile. They're giving mobile gamers mobile games with their IP stickered on top. I'm sure Zelda would continue that trend. Maybe a "Zelda" tower defense or something.

A lot of their games could exist on other platforms, it's true, but I personally prefer Nintendo to have maximum freedom on the hardware front, so they can have maximum freedom on the software front.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
In before Pat or screwydouche calls it best mobile game of all time.
Did you see me call Super Mario Run or the Fire Emblem game "best mobile game of all time"? I've played them both now, and they were slightly above average experiences for me that I could easily take or leave. I don't like the way most games are developed on mobile platforms, and that includes run games at gotcha games, even if they are released by Nintendo.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
A lot of their games could exist on other platforms, it's true
Exactly! Thank you for untangling the web of shit.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:39 AM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Exactly! Thank you for untangling the web of shit.
Hey, any time man. That's what I'm here for.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
I wonder how offended you're gonna be when Halo and other first party MS games start appearing on Nintendo hardware in the future.

But buck up son, you'll always have those games... on Windows 10.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
I wonder how offended you're gonna be when Halo and other first party MS games start appearing on Nintendo hardware in the future.
You think that would be....offensive to me? LOL! I'm platform agnostic so I don't, and won't, give even the slightest little crap about any of that. I'd prefer most software be available across the major platforms. You shouldn't need a dozen different pieces of hardware to access your favorite titles. One home and one mobile device ought to be enough to cover the bases.

Make it so!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #17
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post

But buck up son, you'll always have those games... on Windows 10.
How delusional one must be to actually believe this.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:15 AM   #18
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
How delusional one must be to actually believe this.
It's already slowly happening. If every first-party MS game has now been decreed that it must also appear on Win10, the point and future of the Xbone experiment becomes murky.

In the long run, Nintendo will still be here with their own hardware and so will Sony, MS... not so much.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #19
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
I remain unconvinced. You seem upset that Nintendo games are still locked to Nintendo hardware. You're tantalized that a couple of mobile games have be produced for iOS. You're seeing that the Nintendo magic can be distilled on non-nintendo hardware. Yet, seems to me like Nintendo holds all the keys still. Switch hardware to your and spectral's chagrin, sells. How are you going to get Zelda on Playstation or xBone when Nintendo's hardware still sells?

Moreover, it's gotta burn that Nintendo can get critics to wail about the discontinuation of the NES Classic Edition. Nintendo can kill off a successful product and not have to worry about it, just because. Seriously, Evil Avatar was lamenting that the 2DS XL was being released in favor of continued productions of the NES Classic edition. I mean, I understood criticism of the NES Classic Edition to be that it was just a shameless money grab again.

When you don't care that Nintendo still produces their own hardware and don't care whether any particular franchise or individual game of theirs isn't sold everywhere on all systems -- Then i'll be convinced you are un-offended.

Last edited by 31 Flavas; 05-18-2017 at 06:40 AM..
Old 05-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #20
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
You think that would be....offensive to me? LOL! I'm platform agnostic so I don't, and won't, give even the slightest little crap about any of that. I'd prefer most software be available across the major platforms. You shouldn't need a dozen different pieces of hardware to access your favorite titles. One home and one mobile device ought to be enough to cover the bases.

Make it so!
If you'd be in favor of having the switch, as is, in place of the PS4 or xBone (or PS Pro or the ProBone) -- Ok. But, you know Spectral wouldn't like the Switch dominating since it's hardware is for shit and he can only get hard off of 4K games.

Tags
nintendo, zelda