Today 06:30 PM
8 Replies, 1,076 Views

Old 07-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Spider-Man Has Gone Gold For September Release on PS4

Game Informer has the story.

Quote:
Pretty much every PlayStation 4 owner is anticipating September's release of Marvel's Spider-Man, the open-world superhero game starring everyone's favorite webslinger. Today, Insomniac tweeted out that Spider-Man has gone gold, meaning that a master disc has been printed and sent off to manufacturers.

That means the copy you buy at a retail store has basically been finished, not including any post-gold development that might come between now and release.

The image references a meme taken from the 1960s Spider-Man cartoon, showing Spider-Man sitting at a desk with a picture of himself in the back. The actual scene is from the episode Electro the Human Lightning Bolt and involves Spider-Man taking cover behind a desk, but the meme took on a life of its own. Insomniac added their own flair to it by appending Spider-Man's picture once again to the gold disc in the back.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

yeah, I want this one.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

I am excited about this. Everything I have seen about the game looks awesome, so the only way this will not be a day-one-purchase would be if the reviews land and they say that the gameplay just ends up being boring in the long run.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Only slightly more than 4 weeks away and I've got that sweet red PS4 Pro on the way to go with it!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
Primus
Valar Morghulis

This may be my first not horribly disappointing exclusive for my PS4.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:08 PM   #6
Blog
Evil Dead

Fuck me. Monster Hunter World (PC) is dropping this week and Tomb Raider drops mid-Sept as well. It's gonna be like having a second job right up through January.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:43 AM   #7
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Spiderman in September, Red Dead Redemption II in October. Perfect timing.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
This may be my first not horribly disappointing exclusive for my PS4.
Really? Did you not play God of War yet or do you just have questionable taste in games?
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
DarkestHour00
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Really? Did you not play God of War yet or do you just have questionable taste in games?
Yeah, fuck difference of opinion.
DarkestHour00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestHour00 View Post
Yeah, fuck difference of opinion.
Christ, here we go...

Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Christ, here we go...
Wait, weren't you the one who immediately took offense at the notion of someone not adoring God of War?

Old 07-31-2018, 11:38 AM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Meh people raved about both Zero Horizon Dawn and GoW, personally I didn't like either one at all. People are different that's all.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:25 AM   #13
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Wait, weren't you the one who immediately took offense at the notion of someone not adoring God of War?
At first, I wanted to reply: "No need to white-knight the white knight of the troll", but then I re-read Primus' post. Of course, it'd be blatant trolling had he claimed that all PS4 exclusives were "horribly disappointing". But he didn't. He said it might be his first non-disappointing PS4 exclusive, so I'll just assume he only bought "Street Fighter V" and "Gran Turismo Sport" so far. Well, serves him right, then.

The irony here is that "Spider-Man" has been hyped so much, it's very likely to end up a disappointment. I'm pumped for it myself, but every single snippet I've seen so far on the topic of web-swinging looked completely unrealistic and not at all like "Spider-Man 2" and "Spider-Man 3" (which sucked as a game, but actually improved on the races, if I remember correctly). We'll see in a month, I guess...
Old 08-01-2018, 05:38 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
At first, I wanted to reply: "No need to white-knight the white knight of the troll", but then I re-read Primus' post. Of course, it'd be blatant trolling had he claimed that all PS4 exclusives were "horribly disappointing". But he didn't. He said it might be his first non-disappointing PS4 exclusive, so I'll just assume he only bought "Street Fighter V" and "Gran Turismo Sport" so far. Well, serves him right, then.
Honestly, I'm just getting tired of the notion that virtually any negative reaction or response to something warrants someone farting out the term "triggered" each and every time.

Responding to someone or having a negative opinion doesn't mean you're "triggered", for Christ's sake.

Quote:
The irony here is that "Spider-Man" has been hyped so much, it's very likely to end up a disappointment. I'm pumped for it myself, but every single snippet I've seen so far on the topic of web-swinging looked completely unrealistic and not at all like "Spider-Man 2" and "Spider-Man 3" (which sucked as a game, but actually improved on the races, if I remember correctly). We'll see in a month, I guess...
I'm not overly hyped for it, although I do plan on picking it up. The combat looks like a slightly-off version of the system from the Arkham games. The web-slinging looks perfectly fine to me from what I've seen; it doesn't seem overly unrealistic, for what it is.

I know Spider-Man 2 was a beloved game, but something tells me things were able to be improved over the past 14 years. It was great at the time, but something tells me it might not be considered quite as good when played in 2018.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I know Spider-Man 2 was a beloved game, but something tells me things were able to be improved over the past 14 years. It was great at the time, but something tells me it might not be considered quite as good when played in 2018.
You're certainly right about the game as a whole. The camera was wonky, the side missions repetitive/ridiculous ("Yet another balloon? Sheesh!"), and Spider-Man 3 added tedious boss battles and amazingly annoying QTEs to the mix. The swinging, however, holds up very well to this day. It could certainly look better, but I hope controlling the new Spidey will feel just like it did all those years ago.

Tags
ps4, spider-man