Unboxing the 500 Million...
Last post by blackzc
Today 06:30 PM
8 Replies, 1,076 Views

Old 07-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Mission Impossible Fallout Dominates the Box Office

After six movies, 22 years, countless bruises and a broken ankle, Tom Cruise’s death-defying Mission: Impossible stunts continue to pay off at the box office.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of July 27th to July 29th, 2018.
  1. Mission: Impossible - Fallout $61.2/$61.2
  2. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again $15.1/$70.5
  3. The Equalizer 2 $14.0/$64.2
  4. Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation $12.2/$119.1
  5. Teen Titans Go! To The Movies $10.4/$10.4
  6. Ant-Man and the Wasp $8.7/$183.4
  7. Incredibles 2 $7.2/$572.8
  8. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom $6.7/$397.5
  9. Skyscraper $5.3/$59.0
  10. The First Purge $2.2/$65.4
  11. Unfriended: Dark Web $1.4/$7.3
  12. Sorry to Bother You $1.3/$13.2
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
LostToys
Evil Dead

I would have watched Fallout this weekend, but Moviepass seems to be on its dying breath, and only theaters that offer e-tickets can be booked. And all e-ticket theaters where I live are independent theaters only.

So I may go see it tomorrow night, when Cinemark cinemas offer half-off-tickets all day long.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

We are going out to see this one this weekend. I think I'm like 3 movies behind on the series, so I'm going to see what's available on Netflix or Amazon.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Stock of the parent company of Moviepass dropped 60% based on the Moviepass meltdown this weekend due to Fallout.

I am starting to agree Moviepass is choking out its dying breath. There are so many other services that don't have the rigmarole Moviepass requires and the bullshit new stuff (like taking pictures of your movie ticket... really?)

It was great when I could use it to go to the movies. Now they have made it such a pain in the ass it almost seems more effort than it is worth.

If I were a new subscriber? I'd look to Sincema or one of the others.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
Lutheran
Dreadnought

This movie looks real good, say what you want about Cruise but most of his movies are at the very least entertaining. This one looks to be one of his better efforts.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
I would have watched Fallout this weekend, but Moviepass seems to be on its dying breath, and only theaters that offer e-tickets can be booked.
Same. Couldn't use it for MI if you wanted to, as the film was blocked entirely in the app.

* Thursday night the service was literally broke (no money, no credit card processing). They borrowed five million to get it back up and running.
* Since surge pricing literally all of the showings for mainstream films after the first one (an a.m. show) have been an extra fee.
* The service was down again today.
* We canceled all of our memberships. This is why I knew better than to buy an annual membership, lol. We got our money's worth and more. I'll be taking a very close look at AMC's membership program. That looks really, really good.

Will see MI this week at a local theater for seven bucks. Looks GREAT!

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
* We canceled all of our memberships. This is why I knew better than to buy an annual membership, lol. We got our money's worth and more. I'll be taking a very close look at AMC's membership program. That looks really, really good.
Everyone needs to do this, cancel cancel cancel. At this point they're just trying to drag you along long enough to bill you for one more month before the company goes completely tits up. It wouldn't surprise me if the so-called "technical issues" aren't issues at all and they've purposely have started to limit the service to try and take in as much money as possible without putting any money out. Expect "bankruptcy" and "MoviePass" to share a headline on business websites even as early as the end of this week.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
I paid the $6.99 a month for a year. I have more than payed for it at this point, so I really do not care if they go under at this point. But it does suck having to resume going back to normal movie watching habits (ie. trying to save money) rather than just going when I want to go. The benefit of MoviePass was that it was a universal system, so if I wanted to I could use it at Cinemark or AMC theaters, which greatly improved my chances of catching a show time and getting a good experience.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Everyone needs to do this, cancel cancel cancel.
I agree. Get out before it becomes the Hotel California, lol. In other news:

* MoviePass will be upping its monthly fee to $14.95 on your next renewal.
* Releases on more than 1,000 theaters (you know, the ones you actually want to see) will be restricted for at least the first two weeks, if not entirely.

Get out!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

My pass is good through November with the Grandfather into 1 movie a day so I'll keep using it then I'm switching to something else.

The bullcrap restrictions are getting really old.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
My pass is good through November
I don't think they'll make it to the end of August.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
* Releases on more than 1,000 theaters (you know, the ones you actually want to see) will be restricted for at least the first two weeks, if not entirely.
That is fine with me. I try to no longer see movies the opening week or two due to how shitty moviegoers are these days. Even when I go see a premium showing people are still picking up their cell phones, talking to the people next to them, and overall just being shitty individuals. So I actually enjoy going much later when there are less people to annoy me.

But if I still had the AMC in walking distance from me (it closed in March), I would switch to A-List and just go during my days off or really late at night. But I like having MoviePass since I can choose between AMC, Cinearts and the Century that are all equal distance from me.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:05 AM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Since about July 28th Moviepass has taken to turning off their service at around 8 or 9PM Eastern time. When you go to check into a movie in most places you’ll get an error that there are no showings in your location.

I went to watch Antman and Wasp tonight at 7:45 at the theater near my house. I checked at 4 and all was well. Drove to the theater and tapped to check in at 7:15 and it told me there was an error. Tried again till I finally shut the app down and restarted. After it rebooted it told me there were no other showings for the evening.

I was annoyed because the theater had plenty of open seats (you can pick your seat at the ticket kiosk at this theater). But OK, I went to try another movie and NO movies at this theater were available. So I checked a different close by theater and same thing, no screenings available.

So I checked every theater in 30 miles and there were no screenings for ANY movie at ANY theater except for e-ticket theaters.

This is apparently a new feature along with surge pricing and movie simply being unavailable to moviepass owners.

Currently Christopher Robin and MI:Fallout are not available for movie pass and I suspect it will be the same with Darkest Minds. Peak pricing is tagged for the top 5 movies in general and can reach to as high as $8, at which point you may as well buy the ticket.

There is an entire thread in the Moviepass subreddit tracking this new “feature” of making the service unavailable for evening shows across America. I am not sure how they are picking the areas or if it’s global but I’ve now heard LA, Las Vegas, New York, Seattle, and a few other areas in Central Florida and North Carolina.

I am going to call them up and demand a pro-rated refund since they’ve now basically made my moviepass a worthless service except their customer service is about the worst aspect of their service even with all this other bullshit.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:28 AM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

I have until August 14th on my membership (went to see Equalizer a few days ago) and I have noticed the same shutdowns. E-ticketed theaters still work (I believe MoviePass has a revenue share arrangement with a small theater chain or two), but regular theaters just display...nothing.

They've taken to complaining in their corporate statements that theaters are being greedy with their ticket and concession prices. Whining is another sure sign they're losing and dying.

I don't think they have any money to give you, though I think you have every right to a refund on the remaining service. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I have until August 14th on my membership (went to see Equalizer a few days ago) and I have noticed the same shutdowns. E-ticketed theaters still work (I believe MoviePass has a revenue share arrangement with a small theater chain or two), but regular theaters just display...nothing.

They've taken to complaining in their corporate statements that theaters are being greedy with their ticket and concession prices. Whining is another sure sign they're losing and dying.

I don't think they have any money to give you, though I think you have every right to a refund on the remaining service. Good luck!
I almost signed up for Moviepass a few months ago because of how much you were raving about it. Their Facebook page, however, was loaded with nothing but complaints from perturbed customers. One of the most common complaints was being charged for the service despite the fact that Moviepass was "having trouble" getting cards out to people; some folks were charged for 2 to 4 months while still waiting on their cards (they were, of course, repeatedly told the cards were "on their way".)

The service seemed like a mess even a year ago, so these newfound woes and issues don't surprise me in the least.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:40 AM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

The service was rave-worthy until a month or two ago. I've had a few hiccups here and there prior to its recent spiral into oblivion, but they were easily tolerable considering how many movies I was seeing for ten bucks a month. I could count on one hand the number of times I had an issue prior to its recent collapse.

That being said, if you didn't sign up six or more months ago, like I did, I don't think you got in early enough to really maximize the enjoyment, and new members have had issues for a while getting their cards. When I signed up they didn't start the first billing period until I first used the card!!!

It was amazing while it lasted, but it's over now. If it were a restaurant, they've limited the menu, added fees, occasionally closed without notice, had their menu disappear at times preventing any orders, complained about food service providers' prices and greed, borrowed money from "Big Louie" down the street, sold millions of stock in a company worth a dime a share, and on and on. We're just waiting for the restaurant to shutter completely at this point.

Man was it fun for...nine months or so? Can't remember when I first joined. Late last year I believe. It was great.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
The service was rave-worthy until a month or two ago. I've had a few hiccups here and there prior to its recent spiral into oblivion, but they were easily tolerable considering how many movies I was seeing for ten bucks a month. I could count on one hand the number of times I had an issue prior to its recent collapse.
Yeah, that's basically what I gleaned from everything I saw; if you got in early enough, it was great. Everyone who signed up after that initial period, however, was essentially screwed.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #18
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Yeah, that's basically what I gleaned from everything I saw; if you got in early enough, it was great. Everyone who signed up after that initial period, however, was essentially screwed.
PONZI for movies. Doomed to fail from the beginning. Not sure who made out in this scheme except for the early adopters and ????
Old 08-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Dan View Post
PONZI for movies. Doomed to fail from the beginning. Not sure who made out in this scheme except for the early adopters and ????
I think they egregiously misunderstood how schemes of that nature work.
It seems like the only people who got their money and/or enjoyment were the movie theaters and the early adopters.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

I was an early adopter. I made out like a bandit. I also was wise in not buying an annual pass (those folks won't be getting any refunds, you can be sure). I'm also cutting bait when it's time to do so.

Got free tickets for my wife and myself to see The Spy Who Dumped Me tonight. We're going to enjoy the milk until the cow goes home on the 14th, lol.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart