Yesterday 08:08 PM
25 Replies, 1,357 Views

Old 07-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Nintendo Switch Sales Near 20 Million, Down Slightly on Last Year

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
Nintendo shifted another 1.88m Switch consoles between April and June this year, bringing the console's lifetime sales total up to 19.6m.

This figure is down slightly on the same quarter last year, when it sold 1.97m over the same three months, albeit soon after the console's launch and during a period when Nintendo released Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Arms.

Switch is still selling well, then, and roughly equivalent to the PlayStation 4 at the same point in its lifecycle (while only having had one holiday sales period when PS4 had had two). And, importantly, game sales more than doubled over the same period last year - where Nintendo makes a lot of its money.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze sold 1.4m copies since May, while Mario Tennis Aces is already up to 1.38m copies in its first couple of weeks on sale. Combined sales of the two Nintendo Labo sets totaled 1.39m units.

On 3DS, Nintendo sold another 360k handhelds and 2.95m games - both figures unsurprisingly down year-on-year in this, the 3DS' eighth year of release.

Meanwhile, Nintendo's re-release of the NES mini microconsole shifted another 1.26m units. Kerching!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

I am in the market for one. Just haven't seen it on sale. Or any bundles with a game I want.

A price drop or a new bundle would probably help.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
I am in the market for one. Just haven't seen it on sale. Or any bundles with a game I want.

A price drop or a new bundle would probably help.
I'm in the same boat. I'd prefer a price drop.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:29 AM   #4
Azzy
Cthulian

Same here. It'll be my first console since the 360 if they play their cards right.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:13 AM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

If you have not bought one now, I would wait another year just to make sure that they do not release a 2.0 revision with a better screen, battery life, or some other enhancements that will invariably make everyone who bough the console at launch go out and by another.

Or wait for a Black Friday sale where you can get a bundled game or two for the price of the console itself.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Yeah I wish I waited for a revision. I like it fine, but I haven't really got into a game on it since Zelda, and I played that on WiiU for the most part.

I probably own 20-30 games for it, I keep buying them hoping to get hooked on a Switch game, but most games I buy are played better elsewhere. I still play the 3DS more because of games like Metroid Samus Returns and all the Mario/Zelda games.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:46 AM   #7
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I bought one, from eBay, just to have a quick play but quickly sold as I wasn't willing to spend x amount of cash on the games. They're a bit expensive so I'll wait even longer and buy once the games are dirt cheap.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:57 AM   #8
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
If you have not bought one now, I would wait another year just to make sure that they do not release a 2.0 revision with a better screen, battery life, or some other enhancements that will invariably make everyone who bough the console at launch go out and by another.
That's exactly my train of thought right now, although I have to admit that the idea of finally playing "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker" is mighty tempting. Then again, I just know that I'd play it for an hour, never to return - like with so many of my games...
Old 08-01-2018, 05:39 AM   #9
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
That's exactly my train of thought right now, although I have to admit that the idea of finally playing "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker" is mighty tempting. Then again, I just know that I'd play it for an hour, never to return - like with so many of my games...
This.

The must haves are almost nil. I have Captain Toad on the Wii U and that is exactly what happened.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

It doesn't come with a full controller, you have to buy it separately for $70. I'm waiting for a hardware revision anyways and some new games that aren't regurtitated from the Wii U.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #11
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Yes captain toad is one of the games I am interested in. But it looks like a rental.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #12
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Any switch owners having warp issues?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #13
EGO
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
This.

The must haves are almost nil. I have Captain Toad on the Wii U and that is exactly what happened.
This is the classic Nintendo cycle;
1. Everyone scoffs. "Everyone" being hardcore gamers.
2. Everyone buys one. "Everyone" being every other gamer, nostalgia miners and some hardcore gamers.
3. Everyone who got one plays the 3-4 Nintendo exclusives.
4. Everyone who has one gets bored, starts buying random games that just don't measure up or having the "stickiness" of Nintendo 1st party. Or they buy no new games, at all.
5. Almost everyone lets it sit and collect dust, until the next Nintendo spits out another exclusive.
6. Dust again for years, until the "new machine" comes out. Return to #1.

With that said, the Switch is the most fun I've had with a Nintendo platform, since the SNES. The selection is not nearly as good as the SNES days, but I don't have that kind of SNES time any more. A lot of the indies I wanted to play on my PC are now portable and better suited (Slain, Thumper, Dead Cells, Celeste, etc.)
Old 08-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGO View Post
2. Everyone buys one. "Everyone" being every other gamer, nostalgia miners and some hardcore gamers.
4. Everyone who has one gets bored, starts buying random games that just don't measure up or having the "stickiness" of Nintendo 1st party. Or they buy no new games, at all.
5. Almost everyone lets it sit and collect dust, until the next Nintendo spits out another exclusive.

With that said, the Switch is the most fun I've had with a Nintendo platform, since the SNES. The selection is not nearly as good as the SNES days, but I don't have that kind of SNES time any more. A lot of the indies I wanted to play on my PC are now portable and better suited (Slain, Thumper, Dead Cells, Celeste, etc.)
Yah, I really like the selection of exclusives on the Switch. From Bayonetta stuff, Zelda obviously, Octopath Traveler, Mario + Rabbids.

(btw Captain Toad got some mentions. It's a fun little puzzle game. I really enjoyed 100% the game, and ended out easily worth the buy. )

But I think they need to really drop some announcements soon. The system needs more exclusives. Some games to put it over the top into the "must buy" category. Where the hell is Metroid Prime 4 news anyway?

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
It doesn't come with a full controller, you have to buy it separately for $70.
When you attach the two joy-cons to the grip that comes packaged with the console, they function like a normal controller. It's a little on the small side, but definitely more than serviceable for anyone with hands that aren't gargantuan.

I have - and prefer - the Pro controller...but my hands are on the larger side of the scale and I never had any issues using the joy-cons with the supplied grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
Any switch owners having warp issues?
I haven't had any warping issues and I use it docked almost exclusively. I do, however, undock it and lay it flat after extended periods of playing a game...more as a precaution than anything else.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #16
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

I'd like to see Nintendo offer a one piece version without the dock.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #17
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGO View Post

Who's this everyone? I haven't owned a Nintendo branded product since the N64 for 4 player Goldeneye and the old WWF games also 4 player. And really? I bought ziltch other for that system. The cutesy cutesy kiddie shit just doesn't interest me.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:13 AM   #18
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
I'd like to see Nintendo offer a one piece version without the dock.
I was like WTF is the point of that. But after a bit of googling rumors of just that are floating around. Data miners found some evidence of such a thing.

They also claim an 8 gig s of ram switch. Instead of the current 4 gigs of ram. Considering the switchs paid net service is supposed to be out in a month or so that makes some sense if they launch a new more ram switch along their gaming service.

Or it could just be rumors and BS.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:43 AM   #19
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I have - and prefer - the Pro controller...but my hands are on the larger side of the scale and I never had any issues using the joy-cons with the supplied grip.
The joy-cons are in fact usable, preferable...no.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #20
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

the switch home brew scene is expanding rapidly, and if nintendo does do a 2.0 , they will most certainly patch that exploit.
price reduction would be nice but the software lineup is still lacking , maybe one day i will find one for cheap, but ps4 and PC have so many games.
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo