Today 06:30 PM
8 Replies, 1,076 Views

Old 08-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Patrick Stewart To Play Picard Again In New Star Trek Series For CBS All Access

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Iconic Star Trek actor Patrick Stewart has announced that he will once again portray Jean-Luc Picard in a new Star Trek series. As reported by CNET, the announcement was made during a Star Trek convention being held at Las Vegas, where Stewart appeared on stage to reveal his involvement and discuss his decision to return to the character. Stewart later posted a lengthy statement on Twitter, saying that it is "an unexpected but delightful surprise" to play Picard again.

"I will always be very proud to have been a part of Star Trek: The Next Generation, but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with Star Trek had run its natural course," he said. "It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.

"During these past years, it has been humbling to hear stories about how The Next Generation brought people comfort, saw them through difficult periods in their lives or how the example of Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps, pursuing science, exploration, and leadership," he continued.

"I feel I'm ready to return to him for the same reason--to research and experience what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times. I look forward to working with our brilliant creative team as we endeavor to bring a fresh, unexpected, and pertinent story to life once more."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

I love the guy as an actor and I love the character of Picard. This is still a bad idea creatively, though it may be a great business move by CBS since Stewart was a hit as captain in TNG. He's too old to carry a show. Perhaps as an occasional communique from him as admiral, but carrying a ST show? Too old.

Still, folks will want to see him again. He really was great in TNG.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Vulture
Evil Dead

Why am I having flashbacks of Bela Lugosi at the end?
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I love the guy as an actor and I love the character of Picard. This is still a bad idea creatively, though it may be a great business move by CBS since Stewart was a hit as captain in TNG. He's too old to carry a show. Perhaps as an occasional communique from him as admiral, but carrying a ST show? Too old.

Still, folks will want to see him again. He really was great in TNG.
Something tells me he'll be present as an Admiral, but he won't be the primary focus of the show.

Picard will be around to provide a level of legitimacy that Trek has been lacking since DS9.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Break out the scalp wax. Maybe Carrie Fisher will cameo in this one as well!
Old 08-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
Eats
Developer

Yeah, Patrick Stewart is 78. This is not the best idea unless he is like a 3 episode cameo.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
Azzy
Cthulian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
Why am I having flashbacks of Bela Lugosi at the end?
Because you're old as fuck.
It would be hard to imagine him signing on to do the lead in a made for interne-t.v. thing. He's an 8 and that would be a 6 decision.
I would love to have him around though, even if it's only every third or fourth episode with the occasional starring role once a season.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:41 AM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

Every TNG fan has waited for decades to see Picard as Admiral and Riker to sit in the Captain's chair of the USS Titan. First officer or even Captain Data would likewise be nice. The key is to move forward. Star Trek fans have been stuck at the end of Voyager since 2001, with only prequels (The awful Enterprise and the slightly less-awful but by no means good Discovery) and alternate universe films, each of decreasing quality. Trek fans want to see what happens after the Dominion War, how the Federation and the Alpha Quadrant progress, not see how events we already know about can be rewritten and somehow be more monumental than the contemporary occurrences.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Every TNG fan has waited for decades to see Picard as Admiral and Riker to sit in the Captain's chair of the USS Titan. First officer or even Captain Data would likewise be nice.
Data died.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #10
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Data died.
That, and let's face it Brent is to old to play him as well, and CBS isn't going to pay to de-age him through post production.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
That, and let's face it Brent is to old to play him as well, and CBS isn't going to pay to de-age him through post production.
Data had an aging program that would externally simulate the aging process. It wouldn't affect him physically, but he'd look older.

Basically, it was a handy-dandy way of explaining why an android (played by a human) would look older as the series progressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Data died.
His memories were uploaded into B-4, though. While it could be easily overwritten, Data (in B-4's body) was the captain of the Enterprise-E in Countdown, the tie-in comic for the 2009 movie.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #12
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Every TNG fan has waited for decades to see Picard as Admiral and Riker to sit in the Captain's chair of the USS Titan. First officer or even Captain Data would likewise be nice. The key is to move forward. Star Trek fans have been stuck at the end of Voyager since 2001, with only prequels (The awful Enterprise and the slightly less-awful but by no means good Discovery) and alternate universe films, each of decreasing quality. Trek fans want to see what happens after the Dominion War, how the Federation and the Alpha Quadrant progress, not see how events we already know about can be rewritten and somehow be more monumental than the contemporary occurrences.

At the end of voyager the writers were just like “We’re the last Star Trek bitches let’s burn it all down as we leave” and they returned home with a ship made of tons of future tech.

Voyager was the worst Star Trek for so many reasons, like the de-evolution episode. Enterprise was better, even with the lizard nazis.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #13
dirtbag
El Matador

Starfleet apparently has no mandatory retirement age. . .
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
Lutheran
Dreadnought

The guy is old in the same mold of late 70's age Clint Eastwood or Harrison Ford. He is in literally tip top shape. Dude still has decent arms on him. And his style of being a Captain was almost exclusively as a passive guy not a guy like Kirk doing drop kicks and karate chopping people. He can easily handle a 10 episode series for a season or two. This pic is from 3 years ago..at 75

Old 08-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
Lutheran
Dreadnought

Just read the rest of the comments, there is literally no way the series isn't based around him. No way will he just be making a few cameos. The guy still does plays in the UK, he would not have taken on a token role. Just listen to the interviews with him about it, the show is based on his character 20 years after Nemesis. I am sure there will be some nice side stuff going on along side his main story but he can do this shit in his sleep still. He isn't a guy who has slowed down a lot or been sick etc.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

He's going on 80. I don't care how 'fit' he may 'look' while filming the show under the proper lighting and make-up conditions, he looks and is old.

It's creative laziness on the part of CBS, but I don't blame Stewart. At his age, a lead role on a television series isn't exactly easy to come by. Not many 80 year olds are the prime focus of a show. He's also an excellent actor. Good for him. Make some bank. Stay relevant. Keep working rather than retire and die.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #17
Lutheran
Dreadnought

Who said he didn't look old lol, I said he is fit enough to take on the role. I see a few 70 plus year old guys at my gym who run circles around some of the way younger members. Creative laziness lol, stop already with that BS. The dude is playing an old former Starship Captain. He's a great actor, to say it is laziness on their part to bring back one of the most favorite Star Trek icon's of all time is just silly. If he was in the shape that Burt Reynolds is in right now I would agree with you. He's not, he is in better shape than you give him credit for. They won't have him climbing a mountain or fighting a Gorn, he will be the smartest Federation guy in the room though with vast experience and a commanding presence. He still holds all of those cards, even at 78.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutheran View Post
Creative laziness lol, stop already with that BS.
The best way forward for Star Trek is to return to several decades ago, lol. Yup...they've got a deep creative bench there!

Better hope he doesn't kick off during the series. He'll be 80 and the average lifespan of men in Western Europe is 79.

Tags
star trek