Today 08:28 AM
17 Replies, 2,046 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #21
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post

It's always great to have another company in the mix, but a half-assed attempt doesn't do anyone any good.
Yeah your right, and there have been plenty of those to go around lately.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #22
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Fun fact. From 96 on any arcade game with the Atari Games logo, was actually produced by WMS. Better known as Miday or Bally Midway.
Yeah, the Atari name has been passed around more times than a drunk cheerleader on prom night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Yeah your right, and there have been plenty of those to go around lately.
It's a shame, mainly because it ultimately damages the prospect of something that isn't Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony in the eyes of consumers right out of the gate. Why should I bother to even remotely pay attention to the offerings from some other company when everything of a similar nature released over the past decade has failed miserably?

When even companies like Valve drop the ball with hardware, I don't have much faith in Atari building something worthwhile.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #23
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yeah, the Atari name has been passed around more times than a drunk cheerleader on prom night.

It's a shame, mainly because it ultimately damages the prospect of something that isn't Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony in the eyes of consumers right out of the gate. Why should I bother to even remotely pay attention to the offerings from some other company when everything of a similar nature released over the past decade has failed miserably?

When even companies like Valve drop the ball with hardware, I don't have much faith in Atari building something worthwhile.
I would guess that for the last half of the 90s nearly all arcade machines were produced by 1 company including Pinball. With the exception of Sega, Capcom and Konami. Kinda interesting when you really break it down as to who owned what IP after the crash.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #24
Grumsh
Evil Dead

Am I the only one getting flashbacks to Atari Jaguar?

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #25
Terran
Evil Dead

Another ROM box. DOA. Do not want.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #26
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I would guess that for the last half of the 90s nearly all arcade machines were produced by 1 company including Pinball. With the exception of Sega, Capcom and Konami. Kinda interesting when you really break it down as to who owned what IP after the crash.
Now that you mention it, most of the arcade cabinets I remember were either Sega or Capcom.

It's interesting how a small handful of companies dominated the arcade market after the crash right through the demise of the arcade. It's not entirely unlike the current console landscape, really.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #27
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Why would they make it PC based and make it a ROM box?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #28
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Now that you mention it, most of the arcade cabinets I remember were either Sega or Capcom.

It's interesting how a small handful of companies dominated the arcade market after the crash right through the demise of the arcade. It's not entirely unlike the current console landscape, really.
It's partly why I see a mini crash type of situation happening in the near future. Granted the industry is a whole hell of a lot larger than it was back then as well.
So it certainly wouldn't be near the same scale as the early 80's crash.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:09 AM   #29
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:

If it is PC based, then the Modding potential for the system is certainly there. It could make a great Mame box in theory. I considering doing that with my OUYA, but it was kind of a pain in the butt compared to just building a Mame PC.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 AM   #30
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
If it is PC based, then the Modding potential for the system is certainly there. It could make a great Mame box in theory. I considering doing that with my OUYA, but it was kind of a pain in the butt compared to just building a Mame PC.
Was just going to mention the OUYA. Modding potential was definitely there, but that's niche stuff. Not enough to "compete" with the other set top box leaders. I don't know enough about what it is, but I'm taking guesses and no matter how I slice it, I just don't see room in the console market. But who knows.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #31
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
It's partly why I see a mini crash type of situation happening in the near future. Granted the industry is a whole hell of a lot larger than it was back then as well.
So it certainly wouldn't be near the same scale as the early 80's crash.
I think we're approaching a crash, too. Like I mentioned in the thread for one of Metal Jesus' videos, I don't think it will look much like the previous one...but it'll still be a crash, nonetheless. Budgets are too big, there's simply too much money at stake and companies are growing far too consumer-unfriendly in their practices.

I digress.

I don't think this particular box will be successful, mainly because the software support is questionable, at best.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #32
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I would add to Chimp's statement not that I think there is so little creativity left in in big budget gaming that I think that will be the cause of part of the crash.

Look at Activision. Right now that company produces basically a single game, Call of Duty, juggling three different studios to make sure a new CoD is on the store shelves every year. If one year consumers just up and decide they are bored of CoD, that whole company and three studios could be instantly wiped off the map.

And you know that is going to happen. Look at this years offering... back to WWII again. Pandering to leftists by offering female soldiers and doing weird things like having both sides use the same guns in multiplayer.

At some point that strategy is just going to fail one year and that developer/publisher will be gone.

Same with EA. Not to get all political, but they have let SJW's ruin most of their games and it already cost them the Mass Effect franchise. They basically closed the studio that made Mass Effect Andromeda and have put any sequel on the shelf. What happens when Dragon Age comes out next year and it's another bomb? Another closed studio and another DOA franchise.

So, we are already starting to see the beginnings of a mini-crash.

(I would add Assassin's Creed to my list... the new one doesn't look as bad as the last two, but it certainly does't look like anything special either.)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #33
Sinistar
Evil Dead

Quote:
I would add to Chimp's statement not that I think there is so little creativity left in in big budget gaming that I think that will be the cause of part of the crash.
There won't be another crash but there will always be consolidation. The smart, big publishing companies know when to pivot and when to cut excess.

Quote:
Look at Activision. Right now that company produces basically a single game, Call of Duty, juggling three different studios to make sure a new CoD is on the store shelves every year. If one year consumers just up and decide they are bored of CoD, that whole company and three studios could be instantly wiped off the map.
Activision is SO much more than COD. COD might be one of their bigger bread winners in their portfolio but do remember they have the Bli$$ard monies too. And Overwatch is massive.

Quote:
Same with EA. Not to get all political, but they have let SJW's ruin most of their games and it already cost them the Mass Effect franchise. They basically closed the studio that made Mass Effect Andromeda and have put any sequel on the shelf. What happens when Dragon Age comes out next year and it's another bomb? Another closed studio and another DOA franchise.

So, we are already starting to see the beginnings of a mini-crash.
Again, I think you misinterpret a "coming crash" with simple consolidation and pivoting. EA is deep in bed with Star Wars and that is their latest tent pole that they will be able to ride for the next few years or so - it will help them grow even more when you include the Madden and FIFA monies that those 2 franchises bring in. EA is not going anywhere but up.

Quote:
(I would add Assassin's Creed to my list... the new one doesn't look as bad as the last two, but it certainly does't look like anything special either.)
Ubisoft is doing a fantastic job of pivoting right now. They are holding court by offering new versions of their previously strong franchises that their core audience will gobble up. And then they'll use that revenue to help develop their new IPs that they showed at E3 - this will help guide them for the next decade.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #34
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I have a mame box already. It runs on Raspberry Pi, is the size of a pack of smokes and plays everything from Atari 2600 to PS1 games with ease.

It has a Bluetooth controller, WiFi (or wired) and an HDMI port. If i wanted to I could buy a cabinet for it and have a full Arcade experience. I don't need another poor Atari emulator. I am really confused where this new Atari fits. What category does it server? What hardware? What incentive to 3rd parties? What incentive to customers who have investments into other platforms?

I don't think we're going to see a crash soon. I think we're seeing the evolution of how games make money to support their huge expense in the way Overwatch and other current games are doing. Price of Entry + MTX. The key is the value of the MTX and how much it adds to the game and ensuring it keeps the game even for all players.

Last year was one of the biggest years ever for the market and Activision once again was a leader. Bobby got himself something like $57m salary and most of that was due to performance bonuses IIRC.

And the market is more diversified than ever. There is a game out there for everyone for nearly any mood. Even some of the darker more tasteless moods IMO. Even if something starts to sink there's another game that will have a corresponding rise.

I mean look at the popularity of the Last Man Standing games this year between H1Z1 and PUBG. Hardly a thing last year and this year they're hot with PUBG making, what $100m in 6 months or something?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #35
Terran
Evil Dead

A collapse is inevitable, in EVERY industry and EVERY economy. They are cyclical, they are guaranteed. The only questions are when, for how long, and how destructive/low.

Entertainment is a discretionary luxury, and as such it can easily suffer from a fickle populace or a bad economy. This product seems to be attempting to play the strings of people's emotional attachment to the visual setup, because in reality its form factor is completely unnecessary as is its existence.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #36
Sinistar
Evil Dead

Quote:
A collapse is inevitable, in EVERY industry and EVERY economy. They are cyclical, they are guaranteed. The only questions are when, for how long, and how destructive/low.

Entertainment is a discretionary luxury, and as such it can easily suffer from a fickle populace or a bad economy. This product seems to be attempting to play the strings of people's emotional attachment to the visual setup, because in reality its form factor is completely unnecessary as is its existence.
Yeah, you are thinking way to broad here.

When I read on a random gaming forum where someone says "another crash is coming", I always figure that they're referring to a repeat of the great crash in the 80's.

My only response to that it simply:
That. Will. Not. Happen. Again.

It's kinda of like people wearing "Jesus is Coming" shirts. Most sane people would say "Ain't gonna happen, it's all a myth". The zealots will say "it may not happen in your lifetime, but IT'S GONNA HAPPEN and bible and stuff."
Old 07-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #37
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I have a mame box already. It runs on Raspberry Pi, is the size of a pack of smokes and plays everything from Atari 2600 to PS1 games with ease.
The Pi is breddy gud i guess but i still use my hacked wii because it works and its what i know.

Id love to switch over but i cant seem to find a good image that works and has controllers set up. I have a Pi 3 and a 128gb sd. Got any links bro?
Old 07-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #38
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
I always figure that they're referring to a repeat of the great crash in the 80's.

Because it's no longer the 80s and no crash is identical to any other, so the 80s crash will not happen again. There will be another crash, however...and another, and another, and another, and they will potentially be even more destructive. I find it utterly hilarious how ignorant and arrogant people are, as if history has ceased to repeat itself and somehow the basic laws of every industry and economy in all of human history have suddenly ceased to apply because...because...because...whatever the fuck the latest excuse is for halting basic macroeconomic realities.

Nope, no crash will occur in gaming. Ever again. It's TOO BIG TO FAIL! lulz.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:11 AM   #39
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar View Post
Yeah, you are thinking way to broad here.

When I read on a random gaming forum where someone says "another crash is coming", I always figure that they're referring to a repeat of the great crash in the 80's.

It's kinda of like people wearing "Jesus is Coming" shirts. Most sane people would say "Ain't gonna happen, it's all a myth". The zealots will say "it may not happen in your lifetime, but IT'S GONNA HAPPEN and bible and stuff."
Here's the thing: There's absolutely no way a new crash would look anything like the one from the 80's. It's inherently impossible, because the circumstances are entirely different.

Saying the video game industry cannot suffer from a similar crash is, however, quite foolish.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #40
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
You mean something like this? That looks pretty sweet actually. Easy to assemble (just snaps together), get a couple of controllers, download RetroPi, and you're off.

This Atari thing still has my interest though...

Tags
atari