Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
pwnophobia
Sophisticated Pirate

[Product] - FPS Freek Prestige Review

FPS Freek Prestige Review [Product]

Developed by: Kontrol Freek
You pay: $13.99
Adam 'pwnophobia' Cogswell

You still need to use them to believe me.

You've probably heard me rave and rave over how awesome the FPS Freeks are. For those unfamiliar with the product line, an FPS Freek is a small extender for your Xbox 360 or PS3 joysticks. As I mentioned in my first review, the joysticks allow you greater thumb movement and more precise accuracy. Everyone that I have recommended this product too has fallen in love with them and with that I continue to try each new FPS Freek that makes it to market. For the launch of Call of Duty: Black Ops we see a new product called the "FPS Freek Prestige", which promises the same grip and extension that a normal FPS Freek has.

Now you're asking yourself: "What makes these so much different than the regular FPS Freek set?" I'll answer that for you! Not much. The FPS Freek Prestige set comes with the CODBLOPS symbol on top and a ring of small nubs around the outer edge. Snapping them onto your XBox 360 or PS3 controller is easy but the first thing you'll notice is they feel different than the FPS Freek. The grip doesn't feel as tight because of the design and you may find your finger slip once or twice. It took about a game to get adjusted to them but after playing with them since before the release of CODBLOPS I can say with great certainty that they offer nothing more than the regular FPS Freek does. Actually, when playing with this set, I found that I was pushing my tumb on the side of the Freeks rather than on the top. I did it this way to move and spin quickly because it allowed me to roll my thumb over the joystick and press as far to one side as I could.

You may be surprised by the score I'm about to give them but I'll justify it like this: If you REALLY like Call of Duty, you should probably pick up a pair...just to say you have them. Other than that, stick to the FPS Freeks you have now because there is no added grip or stability with this pair. The FPS Freek Prestige offer a very, very small difference in feel because of the design on top but still provide the same advantage and accuracy as the regular Freeks.

• Still allows for increased accuracy and precise movement control.
  • Comfortable to hold your thumb on the design.
  • Thumb may slip once when you're breaking them in.
  • Design adds no extra grip or comfort.
  • Now that they're black, nothing!
pwnophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Ranhert
Evil Dead

My CODBLOPS needs extended length and grip
Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
lockwoodx
Photobomber

You know what those would look badass on the new silver controller with the B&W buttons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
dr_wily
Evil Dead

i have the normal ones, found it didnt really improve my game as the added throw actually caused me to take longer to aim. Took em off.

Maybe ill try again for shits but thats just me.
gamertag: cisownz
dr_wily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Thin_J
Evil Dead

I actually had to take these off to make Black Ops playable. I had them on previously for Halo and Gears of War and a few other games and liked them a lot, but I couldn't do *anything* in Call of Duty with them.

I have no idea what's so different, but I spent a couple of days trying to play with them on before realizing they were the only thing that had changed between my last play session of MW2 and getting Black Ops.

Took them off and immediately started doing significantly better. Again though, I improved with them in Gears of War and Halo.
Thin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
3Suns
Evil Dead

I'm beyond saving. I bought the FPS Freeks but my error in precision aiming is bigger than can be corrected with stick extenders. lol I have friends that do like them, however.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
pwnophobia
Sophisticated Pirate

That's odd that both dr_wily and Thin_j had issues with Call of Duty, I've never even contemplated taking them off.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

I havent used these in COD but the basic Freeks work great in all the other shooters I've been playing.

I really enjoy them in Monday Night Combat with the Tank secondary weapon (ASMD)
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Thin_J
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnophobia View Post
That's odd that both dr_wily and Thin_j had issues with Call of Duty, I've never even contemplated taking them off.
I obviously didn't either at first, but I've been pretty solid at the last few Call of Duty games and I was just completely useless at Black Ops. It took some time to figure out, but eventually my eyes went to those stick extensions.

I'm sure it's just something weird with me but I absolutely could not make them work for me in CoD. I spent a few games at almost every possible sensitivity setting and just could never get used to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
I really enjoy them in Monday Night Combat with the Tank secondary weapon (ASMD)
They worked really well for me in MNC too!
Thin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
dr_wily
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnophobia View Post
Yeah, im an oldskool mouse/keyboard gamer that migrated to the controller 95% of the time about 5 yrs ago.. been able to get my skill up to where i avg more kills than deaths (1.2 - 1.3 KD) so im not particularly awesome or terrible.

I had hoped that the FPSfreeks would give me an advantage, but I really didnt do any better or worse.. they are better in some situations (being hidden and trying to get someone at medium-long range who isnt looking and only has his head showing. Then you can dial in the aim) Keep in mind I am NOT a sniper an any shape or form whatsoever.

Close quarters to short-medium where they see you, i couldnt get that fast twitch-aim to beat them at heads-up.

In conclusion; it wasnt the cure-all i hoped for

My next cure-all thatll sure to dissapoint is getting a MW2 or BLOPS controller with those buttons on the back.
I'm a tactical user (right stick to duck) so I cant knife worth shit.
gamertag: cisownz
dr_wily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
birdofprey_2000
Subscriber

For you fellas who are not liking them in CODBLOPS, what sensitivity do you have your controls set too? I turned mine up to high and the freak's work just like the normal sticks do in default mode to me. except i can spin around a lot faster. I always had issues with twitchy aiming when i played on higher sensitivity before, but i could adjust my direction much faster. If it doesn't feel right try cranking the speed up!
birdofprey_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

You use these things to add more weight so It can go faster? what is this I don't even?

Last edited by Agnostic Pope; 11-17-2010 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Because it fuken can
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
Roman
Dread Lord

For general aiming there's not much of a difference, but for long shots it does help me. in Battlefield BC2 I've carefully traced guys far away with sustained fire from an LMG, something I wouldn't do too well with the regular sticks.
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #14
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
those designs do nothing but introduce a very good system for collecting finger sweat and grime.

well, ok, they also get to milk people for an extra few bucks in the process.

the classic design was on the money, this is stupid at best.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
IveGotThatWiperFluid
Reaper

Picked some up after these were posted a few months ago. Have one on every right analog stick in the house!
IveGotThatWiperFluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #16
x darkstar21 x
Yoda's Master

how do these help with accuracy???
x darkstar21 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by x darkstar21 x View Post
how do these help with accuracy???
By extending the length of the stick, any given point has a large arc distance between it, meaning you can be more accurate. It's like a magnifying glass for aiming practically.

Hmm, how else to describe it.

The increased length increases the total area of the "swath" the joystick goes through. Imagine if the joystick were really tiny, even the slightest movement would send your view through wild swings. So, by making the joystick longer, the opposite of that, then tiny movements make less difference, giving you fine-grained control on your aiming.

It is a very real advantage.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
x darkstar21 x
Yoda's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
By extending the length of the stick, any given point has a large arc distance between it, meaning you can be more accurate. It's like a magnifying glass for aiming practically.

Hmm, how else to describe it.

The increased length increases the total area of the "swath" the joystick goes through. Imagine if the joystick were really tiny, even the slightest movement would send your view through wild swings. So, by making the joystick longer, the opposite of that, then tiny movements make less difference, giving you fine-grained control on your aiming.

It is a very real advantage.
Hmmmm ok that makes sense... maybe ill pick some up next time i have 15 bucks siting around
x darkstar21 x is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condom for controllers, evav review, fps freek, in-house content, kontrol freek, prestige freek