Sins of a Solar Empire:...
Last post by Mozain
11-18-2018 10:26 AM
1 Replies, 310 Views

Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

In-House Review: Tomb Raider

Evil Avatar member The 7th Patriot has written a review of Crystal Dynamics' latest entry in the Tomb Raider series.

Quote:
Tomb Raider begins in an abrupt manner, and so shall I. One brief cutscene is all that stands between you and the game's tutorial. Our heroine survives a devastating shipwreck along with a few colleagues and finds herself stranded on a mysterious island. While attempting to regroup with her friends and make her way back to civilization, Lara discovers that the storm which destroyed her ship might not have been a mere natural occurrence. She also discovers that she and her fellow survivors are not the island's only inhabitants.
Click here to read the rest and let him know what you think in the comments.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Goldchamp
Squire

So the link to the review is broken, as well as the admin link to let them know its broken...
Goldchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldchamp View Post
So the link to the review is broken, as well as the admin link to let them know its broken...
<Insert Xzibit meme here>
Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldchamp View Post
It should be working now
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
It should be working now
It's working now. Thanks!
Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I am LOVING this game! Cannot believe they so completely reboot a series so long in the tooth like this...but Crystal Dynamics has done it.

Almost finished with the single player and then going to go back and explore previous levels & tombs/vaults
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

I'm actually having a lot of fun with it myself.

I have to say that in reading the review, it is easy to understand where he is coming from with a few of the issues, but maybe I'm not as critical?

The story is ok for me. Nothing truly exceptional, but solid enough to carry the title.

The environments are pretty well put together IMO. But I must agree that they are somewhat linear - this does open up a bit later if you are the type that will go back and explore once you have all the "I can explore everything now" Samus gear. I'm a dad & work about 12 hours a day. I rarely get to invest THAT kind of time into a game, unless it's deserving. I swear - they need to make some kind of ADD medicine for gamers... I must put in like 30 minutes on 10 titles a week.

Characters... yeah. Stereotypical, but the voice actors did a pretty good job with what they were given.

Graphics? It's pretty. I don't have the fancy hair.

Now... one of the points I will agree with is the redundancy of "bad-guy" encounters. I believe this was well said when 7th wrote something along the lines of waiting until the next scenic battle scene. Yes. It is a bit redundant and needless. The island appears abandoned until thirty machete-wielding beards jump out and come at you... and then once you step on their toes - it's back to being quiet again. I don't like that part, but hopefully some day, difficult will mean the AI is much smarter, rather than being health meter driven.

I never played the Uncharted series. I'd like to - but I don't own a PS3.

I liked the review, despite that I don't agree with everything. It was pretty well written.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Claus DuBois
Dread Lord

Wow, I'm surprised at the 3 rating. The narrative only supports about a 1.5 to 2 at best.

I unshamefully give the game a 4.5+, but I'm guilty of being a simpleton who evaluates a game almost solely on whether or not I enjoyed the experience and how much. If I played a game like an IRS agent trying to Fk U Up on your unsupported 1040 deductions, I'd likely die of aneurysm before the first cutscene.
Claus DuBois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

This game got a 3/5 for being pretty? Okay...
Old 03-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
I am LOVING this game! Cannot believe they so completely reboot a series so long in the tooth like this...but Crystal Dynamics has done it.

Almost finished with the single player and then going to go back and explore previous levels & tombs/vaults
Agreed. It's a truly great game and only a burned out gamer would give it less than 4.5 out of 5. There was one tiny annoyance in the game which happened real late when I was supposed to use stealth but, try to go kill crazy instead. Other than that, it was close to perfect. I don't think the reviewer knows what "fun" is anymore. Tomb Raider had it in spades.

It had a real RE4 vibe to it. I liked the weapons and upgrading and the light RPG aspects about it. Graphics were incredible on my PC. It was a very smooth and fun experience. I enjoyed killing all the bad guys, really felt they deserved it.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Im enjoying it. It does look amazing on my PC(the hair effect does make a difference. lol). One of the best parts about it is the sound. I use 7.1 surrond headphones and its amazing what you can hear. The creaks and small clanks in the tombs and caves. The little noises that Laura makes in combination of the animations that randomly happen. For instance she will slip a little in waist high water or put her hand against a cave wall if she is close to it. Little shit like that goes a long way. Ive never been a Tomb Raider fan and I love this game.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
It had a real RE4 vibe to it.
Don't you tease me!
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #13
Sobran
Reaper

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Review
We have a forgotten island that seems uninhabited at first (hint: it's not) which was also sought by the Allied Powers in World War II in hopes of obtaining its great power. For those of you who played Uncharted or Far Cry 3, this should be sounding eerily and disappointingly familiar.
This game was in development at the same time as Farcry 3. Your review sounds over the top and not particularly objective. You remind me of my little brother, when he exaggerates claims to make his case. I'm not saying there aren't issues with the game. I'm just saying your tone seems disingenuous.
Sobran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
Blog
Evil Dead

I really enjoyed Tomb Raider. It was a lot of fun, and it made me realize how much better the Uncharted series would have been if I could have played it with a mouse/keyboard.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
Grumsh
Evil Dead

I must be getting truly out of touch with Video games (preemptive comment the review was well written) because I really enjoy this game. All the games it was compared to are games I have not played so to me Tomb Raider does excell in all aspects because I have yet to play the games that do it better.

Again I freely admit I am becoming a Video game Dinosaur I have purchased 2 retail games in the past calendar year, Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 3 so maybe my bar for quality is just set low.

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in-house content, tomb raider