Tres Ganadores for Coco...
Last post by Paranoia
Today 06:24 PM
2 Replies, 344 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #41
Terran
Evil Dead

I believe they're actually trying that. I don't know that it will work now. It might have a year ago, but now folks are so keyed into the whole 'who's still doing it around the league' thing that it may not be easy to hide any longer. All it takes is one and the storm will continue. Goodell is to blame, IMO. He's a progressive and he essentially agrees with the protesters, so rather than protecting the game and taking a solid stance early on, he aided and abetted the protesters. He's been a truly terrible leader these past few years. The list of screwups is long.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #42
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I believe they're actually trying that. I don't know that it will work now. It might have a year ago, but now folks are so keyed into the whole 'who's still doing it around the league' thing that it may not be easy to hide any longer. All it takes is one and the storm will continue. Goodell is to blame, IMO. He's a progressive and he essentially agrees with the protesters, so rather than protecting the game and taking a solid stance early on, he aided and abetted the protesters. He's been a truly terrible leader these past few years. The list of screwups is long.
I did notice the broadcasters were beginning to shy away from talking about it, let alone showing it. Unfortunately, videos of kneeling players - such as Marshawn Lynch sitting for the US anthem, then standing for the Mexican anthem - still find their way online for people to froth at the mouth over.

It's too little, too late.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #43
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The easiest solution would be for the league to simply tell their broadcasters to stop cutting to the sidelines, if they actually bother to air the anthem at all. Don't talk about it, don't show it and let everyone just move on.
Yep just ignore it and pretend. Awesome solution.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #44
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Yep just ignore it and pretend. Awesome solution.
And what would your solution be? Fire everyone who kneels and force everyone to stand via contractual obligation?

Removing the spotlight is a viable option.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #45
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Smile

Quote:
And what would your solution be? Fire everyone who kneels and force everyone to stand via contractual obligation?

Removing the spotlight is a viable option.
Tax payer money goes to the NFL to promote nationalism. My solution is they stand for the anthem, respect the country, the flag and the fans who pay them millions to play football or don't play. The NFL is not the place to play identity politics.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #46
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Tax payer money goes to the NFL to promote nationalism. My solution is they stand for the anthem, respect the country, the flag and the fans who pay them millions to play football or don't play. The NFL is not the place to play identity politics.
I'd rather see our tax dollars go toward something other than bought-and-paid fake patriotism.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #47
Terran
Evil Dead

Agreed...and perhaps we can also stop handing billionaires hundreds of millions of taxpayer money to build shrines to their almighty god of <insert major sport here>.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #48
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Agreed...and perhaps we can also stop handing billionaires hundreds of millions of taxpayer money to build shrines to their almighty god of <insert major sport here>.
Good Lord, yes. I'm tired of seeing taxpayer dollars going toward these stadiums.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #49
SouljaOfChrist
Lord

Hey guys, just my 2 cents. The thread is called "what game are you watching," not "what do you feel like bitching about this sport today." I'm not a fan of the whole kneeling crap, but fuck those guys, we all see how much that helped Kapernick. Go Vikings!
Old 11-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #50
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouljaOfChrist View Post
Hey guys, just my 2 cents. The thread is called "what game are you watching," not "what do you feel like bitching about this sport today." I'm not a fan of the whole kneeling crap, but fuck those guys, we all see how much that helped Kapernick. Go Vikings!
(This is precisely my point, but if you try to explain this to certain people, you're clearly advocating for echo chambers, etc, etc.)
Old 11-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #51
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
(This is precisely my point, but if you try to explain this to certain people, you're clearly advocating for echo chambers, etc, etc.)
Please this thread would be deader than a doornail without it. You know it I know it. Better to spend tax dollars on promoting patriotism rather than handing it out in welfare to people who refuse to work for a living.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #52
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Please this thread would be deader than a doornail without it. You know it I know it. Better to spend tax dollars on promoting patriotism rather than handing it out in welfare to people who refuse to work for a living.
If you have to pay for it, it's fake patriotism.

I'd rather see that money go toward making secondary education - both college education and trade school - more affordable. I don't need to see every sporting event turned into a pep rally for the military on our dime.

Welfare certainly does need significant reform, but that's more of a state-by-state issue.

As for thisnthread being dead without the extra horseshit...it would be and that's perfectly fine. Week-to-week discussions tend to be relatively short. If we can avoid the umpteenth, "Them KNEELERS hate 'Murica! If you don't like it, then get the Hell out!" comment, even better.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 11-22-2017 at 05:06 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #53
Terran
Evil Dead

Whether taxpayer money goes to the poor or to billionaires, it's all welfare to me, and in the case of billionaires, they should scratch together their own stadium money. The studies have shown that the stadiums, with the hundreds of millions tossed in from taxpayers, are a net loss to locals. Not worth it.

At least with folks at the bottom of the income scale I know that the money is going right into the local economy, lol...with billionaires, it's probably headed to the Caymans.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #54
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Good Lord, yes. I'm tired of seeing taxpayer dollars going toward these stadiums.
Agree with you there, these owners need to cough up their own dough. It's not a boon to the fans. These guys are filthy rich.

Tags
nfl, sunday gameday