Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 08:14 AM
12 Replies, 977 Views

Old 05-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #41
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I have the PSVR and I've spent weeks with Microsoft's Hololens...

and I would take Hololens in a second.. It's completely self contained with the battery CPU GPU and all the tech in the device itself, does both VR and AR and then can mix them together & adapts to your surroundings in real time. Hololens is the future..
Are you on a newer HoloLens or something because when I tried it at Build last year the field of view was a TINY RECTANGULAR BOX in your field of vision. Anyway, I'm sure my college buddy who is leading HoloLens will be thrilled with your comments.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #42
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I can absolutely understand what you are saying. But i firmly believe that at some point in the next 10 years, you will not have a choice but to use VR in some capacity. At some point VR and AR will blend, so that will alleviate some of your concerns. But playing cames like Contraption Maker and Coolpaintr VR immediately sell the idea that the future of education and the future of engineering/mechanics is VR.

Im an artist so i spend a lot of time studying Artistic Anatomy. Part of that study means using medical apps to explore and learn the human body. In even just the past few years, anatomy study has become infinitely more accessible, cheap and of a much higer quality do to tablets and touch interfaces. VR even lespfrogs THAT by an tremendous amount.

The concept of not having to look at slides of famous artworks in an art history class but rather being sble to view them in VR st accurate scale and in their intendee environment is of tremendous scademic value.

The ability to work on a 3d CAD file and be able to work on the z axis by reaching INTO the z axis is similarly revolutionary. Anyone who has done any 3d modelling knows how frustrating it is to deal with the camera.

Long story short, VR/AR will quickly become a necessary part of professional and academic life.

I agree with what yourself and Chief say about it being unavoidable in the future, but I'm talking about it in the context of video games. I do think there's a role, and a good role even, in the academic space and professional space for the reasons you cited above, but as a device related to video games, it's nothing I'll personally likely ever want to get into.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #43
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbaine View Post
I love my PSVR, when I have something to play on it. The two biggest problem is lack of quality games and their stupid controls that people need to adapt to. Bring a real controller to the platform and bring out some quality games and you will have a winner.
I will never understand why Sony adopted the Move controller for PSVR, but shunned the Navigation controller. Can anyone explain that? Sure, it can't be tracked by the camera, but it could still be a fully-functional one-hand controller, and I believe it had gyroscopic sensors as well...
Old 05-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #44
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
#1)
I very much agree with what you're saying. My family still games fairly often but we've also been trying to get back to more analog ways of entertaining everyone. We've been playing a lot of board games over the last couple of years and we do a lot more reading and hands on hobbies than in previous years. Jazz, I also very much agree with you that VR will be unavoidable in the future. But it will be in the future, not as it is now.
Same here. Man, over the last 2 years I've really gotten into table top board games. I force my family over to play them all the time! I just had my sisters over a few weekends ago and made them play a cooperative deck building game with me for a few hours. It's a nice change of pace from sitting in my office or on the couch playing games sometimes.

I've got probably a good 50 board games, most of them cooperative. (my partner doesn't like competitive games. She's too competitive and gets really pissed if she loses ) I've really latched on to that hobby. I've started to dabble with painting mini's for the games as well.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #45
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I will never understand why Sony adopted the Move controller for PSVR, but shunned the Navigation controller. Can anyone explain that? Sure, it can't be tracked by the camera, but it could still be a fully-functional one-hand controller, and I believe it had gyroscopic sensors as well...
I have absolutely no idea. But the only thought I can make up as to a reason is possibly “because they didn’t want developers to use it.”

Sony was incredibly paranoid about motion sickness and the first wave of psvr games were nerfed considerably because developers didn’t want to make customers sick. even now developers are releasing games that do not feature what has come to be known as “full locomotion” only to be shouted down by the player base. Skyrim only included free locomotion at the last minute to appease fans.

I think Sony was just scared.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #46
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
In other news, IT'S STILL JUST A FAD! Wow! Geniuses.

I have not touched my PSVR in months. It sits on the floor in a corner. Was cool for a while but it's a pain in the butt to set up correctly, and even when I do, there's still tons of blurriness on my periphery because my eyes are too far apart and there is no hardware way to increase eye distance like on some other headsets.

Now if only they'd bring back the 3D TV technology instead. That was actually cool and much easier to use if you had just the right TV and glasses for optimum results. By far best results were with Plasma TVs not LCDs. I don't know how OLED was, but its was probably awesome. It was a total shit move for TV makers to remove the damn feature from TVs. What the actual F?
i can tell you for a fact, my 2016 LG OLED 65" 4K has the BEST 3D you will ever see. Passive, but full 1080p resolution for each eye because it's a 4K set. OLED is stunning to begin with.

until you see a proper 3D movie like Avatar or the Hobbit Series or Pixar's Dinosaur you haven't seen good 3D.

I still but as many BluRay 3Ds as possible and am largely importing them now since the US distributors have all but abandoned it.

Sadly so have the TV manufacturers.

I agree with you. 3D is not for all-the-time watching, but on a 4K set, passive and lite glasses rock. OLED make it all the more stunning.
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #47
Jigfrog
Squire

I've got a Vive.. it's amazing. Everyone loves it. The only things slowing adoption are the cost of entry.... re: the computer and headset. The cords are an inconvenience but wireless should help this year.

After thinking about it.. it's possible people being extremely fat in general could slow down adoption. It is often quite a workout to play.
Jigfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:33 PM   #48
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigfrog View Post
it's possible people being extremely fat in general could slow down adoption. It is often quite a workout to play.
I agree. I would put it in less aggressive terms, but I think the the physicality of VR will be a turn off for a lot of people. But I think it will be a major plus for others.

I am playing Knockout League, for example. In one of the training excercizes, you are faced with three snow blowers shot out blue and red water balloons as well as balls and barbells. You are asked to punch the red and blue water balloons with designated hands, block the balls and dodge the barbells. The sheer physicality and coordination it takes to play the game is exponentially higher than anything required from holding a gamepad. But once you get it down, you really feel like you are a boxer in training. It's incredible fun.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:33 AM   #49
Jigfrog
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I agree. I would put it in less aggressive terms, but I think the the physicality of VR will be a turn off for a lot of people. But I think it will be a major plus for others.

I am playing Knockout League, for example. In one of the training excercizes, you are faced with three snow blowers shot out blue and red water balloons as well as balls and barbells. You are asked to punch the red and blue water balloons with designated hands, block the balls and dodge the barbells. The sheer physicality and coordination it takes to play the game is exponentially higher than anything required from holding a gamepad. But once you get it down, you really feel like you are a boxer in training. It's incredible fun.
I was thinking of trying that game this weekend with the free month of Viveport...
Jigfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #50
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I have the PSVR and I've spent weeks with Microsoft's Hololens...

and I would take Hololens in a second.. It's completely self contained with the battery CPU GPU and all the tech in the device itself, does both VR and AR and then can mix them together & adapts to your surroundings in real time. Hololens is the future..
Amen. Bring on hololens... at a reasonable price, though they have to do much better on the field of view. When they are getting their ass kicked by a far smaller competitor like Meta in Field of View they need to reevaluate.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oculur rift, ps vr