LEGO The Incredibles...
Last post by excalibur1814
Yesterday 02:36 PM
2 Replies, 487 Views

Old 05-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Boston Marathon Bomber Gets Death Penalty

Which in this day and age of appeal after appeal is the same as life in prison, so... yay?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/us...ence.html?_r=0

I have to wonder if it's really going to matter or help, in fact it might even be a strike against our system because the case was constructed in such a way it would be impossible to avoid it.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Which in this day and age of appeal after appeal is the same as life in prison, so... yay?
This got me thinking so I looked it up.

The average time between when someone is placed on death row and is executed is 190 months (about 16 years). Additionally, the legal battles and extended incarcerations cost taxpayers ~$120 million for each execution. There is a lot of evidence showing that it does not serve as a deterrent.

Logically, I should be against the death penalty, but I'd like to see this guy fry. Honestly, I wish the police would have shot him and saved the taxpayers $120 million, but barring that.

Of course, that is Massachusetts' money - not mine. I wouldn't personally pay that much even if I had it. There are so many better ways to spend that money.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

He won't last sixteen years in prison, any more than Jeffrey Dahmer did (murdered after two years by a fellow inmate)...unless they send him to the Supermax prison in CO and he's isolated 23 hours of every day and allowed outside, alone, one hour a day, protecting him from the general population...in which case he'll kill himself in a few years.

There's a code and pecking order in prison. Child molesters and people like this bomber are looked upon as fodder for the meat grinder. I'd have a hard time arguing against that kind of code of justice, honestly.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post

The average time between when someone is placed on death row and is executed is 190 months (about 16 years). Additionally, the legal battles and extended incarcerations cost taxpayers ~$120 million for each execution. There is a lot of evidence showing that it does not serve as a deterrent.

Logically, I should be against the death penalty, but I'd like to see this guy fry. Honestly, I wish the police would have shot him and saved the taxpayers $120 million, but barring that.

Of course, that is Massachusetts' money - not mine. I wouldn't personally pay that much even if I had it. There are so many better ways to spend that money.
Where did you pull this 120 million per execution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Penalty
Financial Facts About the Death Penalty

Washington

A Seattle University study examining the costs of the death penalty in Washington found that each death penalty case cost an average of $1 million more than a similar case where the death penalty was not sought ($3.07 million, versus $2.01 million). Defense costs were about three times as high in death penalty cases and prosecution costs were as much as four times higher than for non-death penalty cases. Criminal Justice Professor Peter Collins, the lead author of the study, said, “What this provides is evidence of the costs of death-penalty cases, empirical evidence. We went into it [the study] wanting to remain objective. This is purely about the economics; whether or not it’s worth the investment is up to the public, the voters of Washington and the people we elected.” (Although Washington's death penalty was reinstated in 1981, the study examined cases from 1997 onwards. Using only cases in the study, the gross bill to taxpayers for the death penalty will be about $120 million. Washington has carried out five executions since reinstatement, implying a cost of $24 million per execution. In three of those five cases, the inmate waived parts of his appeals, thus reducing costs.) The study was not able to include the likely higher yearly incarceration costs for death row inmates versus those not on death row.

"The Costs of the Death Penalty"
Quote:
The most comprehensive study conducted in this country found that the death
penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the costs of a nondeath penalty system imposing a maximum sentence of imprisonment for life.6These findings are sensitive to the number of executions the state carries out.
However, the authors noted that even if the death penalty was 100% efficient, i.e., if every death sentence resulted in an execution, the extra costs to the taxpayers would still be $216,000 per execution.
______
HOW MUCH DOES THE DEATH PENALTY COST?
The major cost studies on the death penalty all indicate that it is much more expensive
than a system where the most severe sentence is life in prison:
⇒ The most comprehensive study conducted in this country found that the death
penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the costs of a nondeath
penalty system imposing a maximum sentence of imprisonment for life.6
These findings are sensitive to the number of executions the state carries out.
However, the authors noted that even if the death penalty was 100% efficient, i.e., if
every death sentence resulted in an execution, the extra costs to the taxpayers would
still be $216,000 per execution.
⇒ Some years ago, the Miami Herald estimated that the costs of the death penalty in Florida were $3.2 million per execution, based on the rate of executions at that time.7 Florida's death penalty system has bogged down for a number of reasons, including a controversy over the electric chair. As a result, a more recent estimate of the costs in Florida by the Palm Beach Post found a much higher cost per execution: Florida spends $51 million a year above and beyond what it would cost to punish all firstdegree murderers with life in prison without parole. Based on the 44 executions Florida had carried out from 1976 to 2000, that amounts to a cost of $24 million for each execution.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Where did you pull this 120 million per execution?
I'm going with "A dark and smelly place for $400."

Old 05-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Out of his ass where he pulls all his "facts". I'm from Mass, I live here, I hope they fry the cocksucker. Shame the cops didn't blow both he and his brother away.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I'm going with "A dark and smelly place for $400."
I've read a lot of disgusting lines in my time but for some reason that one just makes my face shrivel as I laugh.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
There is a lot of evidence showing that it does not serve as a deterrent.
It doesn't need to be a deterrent. It's what justice requires.

Quote:
Logically, I should be against the death penalty, but I'd like to see this guy fry.
In cut and dry cases where someone's caught red handed like this, I support it too. There's no chance he didn't do it.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
So cold, distant, emotionless, pragmatic and calculating. I fear you and your merciless rise to power O mightiest of the mighty. What have ye in store for us?
Old 05-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
So cold, distant, emotionless, pragmatic and calculating. I fear you and your merciless rise to power O mightiest of the mighty. What have ye in store for us?
Well, the first thing is to reduce literacy rates; something which Bean's Progressive agenda appears to be talented at: see the abysmal reading proficiency rates in progressive bastions such as Baltimore's public school system.

You can see poor reading comprehension in action with Bean's claim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19

Old 05-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Personally, in cut and dried cases like this we could save $119,999,999 and just put a bullet through his head.

Of course maybe it's better justice for him to rot in prison for 16+ years in what amounts to solitary confinement not really knowing when his day will come. Even without being in gen pop his treatment at the hands of the guards probably isn't going to be super gentle.

But that whole $120 mil thing, if it's true, is just like him getting to twist the knife in deeper to the State and taxpayers.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Personally, in cut and dried cases like this we could save $119,999,999 and just put a bullet through his head.

Of course maybe it's better justice for him to rot in prison for 16+ years in what amounts to solitary confinement not really knowing when his day will come. Even without being in gen pop his treatment at the hands of the guards probably isn't going to be super gentle.

But that whole $120 mil thing, if it's true, is just like him getting to twist the knife in deeper to the State and taxpayers.
Ven already disproved bean's figure with actual links. So as usual bean made some shit up and ran with it. King of intellectual dishonesty that he is.
Personally I wish they would just put a bullet in his head and call it a day, once his first appeal gets denied if it hasn't already. He won't be in the general population anyway, though he's likely to off himself anyway, most cowards who end up in that situation do.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #13
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Leave it to bean to use an extremist attack and the subsequent sentencing of said attacker to not only try and push his views but make light of those who lost lives for no reason at all. Bean you're a piece of garbage.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #15
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

We've already seen what would happen if Bean had power: censorship in an effort to silence those that do not agree with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean
Also, half the time, these "stories" don't even have links to whichver "SJW" source they find offensive. Some of these posters I've read for ten years or more (back when I was a teenager or a naive college student), and they never seemed to have a political alignment but were just normal people who have opinions about political issues, but hadn't joined a team. The place wasn't filled with mindless cheerleaders. Maybe you'll get somewhere with these kinds of posts. I've given up and now spend my time making fun of them OR posting substantively to gaming threads.
This, ironically enough, is from the individual that frequently claims to have a source, but he does not provide it -- even when directly asked for the source.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerdawn
Just curious, but where did you come to that conclusion, can you link your sources?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean19
A story about a Gamergater doing it, but like I've said many times now, I asked about this stuff precisely because I haven't followed these stories after they became so frequent and repetitive. My ventured explanations of it were a result of the only answers to the questions being vague or just being insults that assume that I'm for one position or the other. I've gone back and edited that answer, so people don't feel the need to correct something already corrected once again.
Asked directly for a source, and the answer appears to be: No. That sort of behavior, when Bean feels someone else is doing it, is a problem. It's something which Bean frequently does, however.

Quote:
Well, you aren't talking about actual activists here. I think people on the left dislike fake activist-for-profit people like Sarkeesian and disdain slacktivists who post stupid shit about the issues or play the victim of non-issues too. Making this a "left" or "right" thing is just assigning another label to play "us" vs. "them" instead of meaningfully and specifically attacking actual arguments.
Where is the source for his claim that people on the left dislike people like Sarkeesian? It's not going to come from the Washington Post or NYT, that's for sure.

Then there is the objective fact that Bean has no issue with turning topics into an "us" versus "them" deal when he wants to.

Remember, Bean is a SJW to his core, and he has been for years:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallor
I don't live at the extreme ends of the spectrum. By reexamining their preconceptions about sexuality we see transgender, transvestite, and all other stripes of previously "deviant" behavior being reevaluated against the evolving standard western society deems to be the norm in the more friendly gay rights world. I suspect this includes pedophilia.
Quote:
And here you get to hate speech and on my ignore list. Being a bigot didn't get you there. Venom and blackzc have been straight-forward about being homophobic for years. What got Venom on ignore is hate speech like this. Also, I already explained why this is hate speech, so I'll just quote myself:
"I think your argument seems to be that more people were bigots who found homosexuality to be gross or unacceptable 50 years ago, but the difference is that there was never anything immoral about homosexuality. People who hate homosexuals are hateful because they think they are better than homosexuals. With homosexuality, the problem is in the bigotry. People who hate children being hurt are just sane. A bigot who says they find homos gross is not wanting to protect someone from harm. They are actually harming themselves and others through their hate. Finally, this argument is insulting (my sister is lesbian) and disgusting because it implies that homosexuality should be hated as something gross or evil like hurting little kids."
Point out an objective fact that sexual behavior that was previously seen as deviant is no longer viewed that way is hate speech in Bean's mind. It's also a good example not having the level of reading comprehension needed to discuss these types of issues. This poor reading comprehension, in this case of this specific thread, leads to Bean making a false claim that it costs $120 million per execution. When the source is requested and the error pointed out, Bean devolves into nothingness. Of course, you could argue that's actually maintaining the status quo with him.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Bean's 'wife' will be along any minute to set you straight. You better watch out!