Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 12:19 AM
19 Replies, 1,512 Views

Old 07-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Lucy - Car Chase Movie Clip

Quote:
From La Femme Nikita and The Professional to The Fifth Element, writer/director Luc Besson has created some of the toughest, most memorable female action heroes in cinematic history. Now, Besson directs Scarlett Johansson in Lucy, an action-thriller that tracks a woman accidentally caught in a dark deal who turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human logic.
Click on the headline to watch the video.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
Joliet Jake
Death Knight

Scarlett Johannson: spokeswoman for Sodastream products, built on illegally occupied land in Palestine.
BDS.
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Hatchetforce
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliet Jake View Post
Scarlett Johannson: spokeswoman for Sodastream products, built on illegally occupied land in Palestine.
BDS.
Sodastream is in Lod, Israel. Nothing illegal there.
Hatchetforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

I didn't know that... Glad I never bought one to mess with.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Joliet Jake
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetforce View Post
Sodastream is in Lod, Israel. Nothing illegal there.
Although SodaStream products are labeled as "Made in Israel," its main production facility is in the industrial zone of Mishor Edomin, an illegal settlement in the occupied West Bank. As a result, SodaStream enjoys cheap land and water, confiscated from the indigenous Palestinian owners; a captive Palestinian labor force; tax benefits; and lax regulation of environmental and labor protection laws - See more at: http://www.codepink4peace.org/sectio....ocE1tgIN.dpuf

Multiple other sources confirm. Simple google search so demonstrates.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

1 of 22 factories, and she's no longer their spokesperson. But what the fuck does that have to do with anything in this thread? Can we have a thread that doesn't turn into a clusterfuck of political bullshit?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Joliet Jake
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
1 of 22 factories, and she's no longer their spokesperson. But what the fuck does that have to do with anything in this thread? Can we have a thread that doesn't turn into a clusterfuck of political bullshit?
Incorrect. Ms Johansson is STILL spokesperson for Sodastream despite the association with illegal settlements in Palestine being pointed out to her by such organizations as Oxfam.

She did, however, resign as Oxfam Goodwill Ambassador rather than turn down the lucrative Sodastream contract.

It has to do with this thread because it is part of the story. What you do with the information is up to you. Just stating the facts.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
I TOTALLY AGREE. This is clearly a thread that should be a clusterfuck of sexual objectification, not politics. You people disgust me.

AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Gah, wtb edit button I hit Quick Reply by accident, yes you are right. But in any case the point being it's only one of 22 factories and they hire both Palestinians and Israelis. Sure she's no longer the spokesperson for Oxfam, but this is probably due to her signing a contract and not researching the company before she signed on the dotted line (something many celebrities are guilty of). And while she probably isn't happy that she agreed to deal with SodaStream, a contract is a contract and it's not something you can simply walk away from. And no, I wouldn't buy SodaStream products because I honestly think they're overpriced crap for what they do, but I don't think this has any bearing on this thread. It can only end as badly as the Persecuted movie trailer thread.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I bought a SodaStream and several of their sugar-based flavors. While it's a fun way to make soda, the carbonation just doesn't hold long. At least that's what we found to be true. Maybe we were doing something wrong.

Also, the whole Palestine vs. Israel thing just bores me to death. But by all means, please continue to wage war.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
Joliet Jake
Death Knight

Quote:
Sure she's no longer the spokesperson for Oxfam, but this is probably due to her signing a contract and not researching the company before she signed on the dotted line (something many celebrities are guilty of)..
Incorrect. She is no longer spokesperson for Oxfam because they told her that her endorsement of Sodastream and ambassadorship with a human rights organization were fundamentally incompatible. Between the two commitments, she actively chose to give up the Oxfam one.

Quote:
And while she probably isn't happy that she agreed to deal with SodaStream, a contract is a contract and it's not something you can simply walk away from.
Incorrect. Contracts can be broken for many reasons, especially of the endorsement variety, wherein incompatibilities between either the image of the celebrity or the endorsed firm can justify termination. In any event, Ms Johannsson has been very vocal and spirited about her support for Sodastream when directly asked about how it relates to occupation in Palestine, citing the employment opportunity offered to the Palestinians by the plant (despite the plant existing on stolen land, and economically perpetuating further land theft).

Quote:
And no, I wouldn't buy SodaStream products because I honestly think they're overpriced crap for what they do
Correct. I also think Ms Johannsson is overpriced crap for what she does.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
I TOTALLY AGREE. This is clearly a thread that should be a clusterfuck of sexual objectification, not politics. You people disgust me.

I'd repost the nudes but I already made a thread about it long ago!
Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
Hatchetforce
Subscriber

Lod is not Palestine. Quit crying. Palestine has never even been a country in the first place. The Palestinians were never a people until after the Six Day War. Just a loose collection of Arab people from different areas. Why drag that crap into this thread when there is an OT section for people that want to cry over something that never belonged to them in the first place. Why? What we do with this is up to us, eh? No it isn't because I do not have delete or ignore abilities. The best I can do is print it on toilet paper and wipe my ass with it.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #15
DrizziTx
Evil Dead

to answer or not to answer, that is the question ....
ah hell, answer: You are invited to israel to see the truth, if you rely on stupid internet where anyone can twist anything, you best not take a stand, as u r clueless as a newborn.

and "that's all i got to say about that"

Now un-highjack the forum and talk to the point.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #16
DrizziTx
Evil Dead

"From La Femme Nikita and The Professional to The Fifth Element, writer/director Luc Besson has created some of the toughest, most memorable female action heroes in cinematic history. Now, Besson directs Scarlett Johansson in Lucy, an action-thriller that tracks a woman accidentally caught in a dark deal who turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human logic. "

Playing on her Avengers character guidelines/movie performance?
Old 07-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #17
Hatchetforce
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrizziTx View Post
"From La Femme Nikita and The Professional to The Fifth Element, writer/director Luc Besson has created some of the toughest, most memorable female action heroes in cinematic history. Now, Besson directs Scarlett Johansson in Lucy, an action-thriller that tracks a woman accidentally caught in a dark deal who turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human logic. "

Playing on her Avengers character guidelines/movie performance?
Strong dangerous women that discover their latent side are a theme with Besson. I liked his movies most when he directs rather than simply produces because the majority of the time he operates the camera himself and as such it leads to a slightly different shooting style.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetforce View Post
Lod is not Palestine. Quit crying. Palestine has never even been a country in the first place. The Palestinians were never a people until after the Six Day War. Just a loose collection of Arab people from different areas. Why drag that crap into this thread when there is an OT section for people that want to cry over something that never belonged to them in the first place. Why? What we do with this is up to us, eh? No it isn't because I do not have delete or ignore abilities. The best I can do is print it on toilet paper and wipe my ass with it.
That sounds like kind of a hypocritical view on things.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
That sounds like kind of a hypocritical view on things.
How it the truth hypocritical? Do some actual research, Palestine didn't even exist prior to the 6 day war, and is made up of different Arab ethnicities, and are constantly shooting rockets into Israel. I really don't understand why the Jews are always made out to be the bad guys, they're our only ally in the middle east and people seem to have this thing for shitting all over them in support of a state that didn't even exist 70 years ago. It's mind blowing.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

To be fair while it wasn't their land but the Palestinians occupied the territory at the time before the borders were set. Nobody agreed with the borders except the Jews because fuck the surrounding countries. To this day they have both committed atrocities against each other except most of the Jewish ones aren't reported by the West since we kinda gave them the tech.

Tags
lucy