Today 09:53 AM
680 Replies, 66,368 Views
» Promotion

Old 08-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #21
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I wasn't recommending a Core iCPU with a full 970m. That would require a laptop battery and be more powerful than any MS Surface.

Power draw is going to heavily depends on the GCN Radeon portion of that SoC. If the chip is similar to the outdated Kabini chip, which also used jaguar core architecture, then the unit will be too weak to run games but use 15-20 watts to do so. That's not going to complete with a shield's tegra x1, which uses approximately 19 watts to game like a champ.
My laptop uses an older AMD A8-3520m and it plays games surprisingly well at 1366x768. I just really can't stand using the laptop keyboard for anything too intensive so I don't play FPS on it. (Though it's been getting quite a bit of use for Minecraft, Defense Grid 2 and Cities Skylines lately.)

I think this handheld will probably be slightly less powerful than an Xbox one. Which, for a handheld, really isn't too shabby.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #22
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Even with one of those portable chargers, the types of games I like (RPGs, action) kill the battery pretty fast.
You don't have a properly powered battery pack then! I've tried some of the smaller/weaker ones, and they're garbage. I bought this Anker 15,000 mAh unit nearly two years ago and it still easily goes the whole day feeding a device (it has lost a bit of juice over time, but still very capable).

Anything with less than five-digit (10,000+) mAh capacity just isn't powerful enough for a device doing anything graphically intensive. I got a free 1,500 mAh unit from my boss at work and, sadly, it is a useless little brick. It can barely charge an old flip phone, let alone a smartphone. I agree that battery drain is a pain, but there is just no way I can go back to lugging around a dedicated gaming device (I'd rather lug the battery pack instead) while paying $35+ for each title. That's just no longer within the realm of reason to me. I've also found, as I travel with my kids, that they clamor for the kindle/tablet devices and the unlucky ones get saddled with a DS that promptly goes back in the case shortly thereafter (and we have a terrific selection of DS/3DS games.).

I've been having an absolute BLAST with Mortal Kombat X on my phone. Great game, looks great, keeps me coming back. I don't need to spend a dime on that game, and it's better than many dedicated handheld games, frankly. Far better.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #23
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
It's a dumb idea if you're an invester. It's destined to fail. If, like Ouya, it keeps people employed for a couple years, it's not a completely stupid idea for the people working there.

Every now and then I wonder if you could make a living with the stupid ideas and finding stupid investors to fund them. Then just move onto the next stupid idea when the investor money ran out.
This is valve, they're entirely private. They have no investors to speak of. They can do whatever the fuck they want.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #24
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Finally, a platform deserving of the indie trash that comprises 99% of Steam releases over the past 5 years.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #25
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
Every now and then I wonder if you could make a living with the stupid ideas and finding stupid investors to fund them. Then just move onto the next stupid idea when the investor money ran out.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #26
ashikenshin
Subscriber

it lacks the anime big tit games that the PSVITA has so it's not for me :P
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #27
Anemone
Evil Dead

Battery life is all that matters. If it isn't >6 hours, this will fail.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #28
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Battery life is all that matters. If it isn't >6 hours, this will fail.
Being only a 720p screen helps.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
screwyluie
Evil Dead

this thing was 'announced' a long time ago and so far it's been vaporware... I'll believe it when I see it.

as for would I buy it? no and here's why. I have an nvidia gpu, which means I get game streaming. I can stream to another computer, my phone, my raspberrypi I have attached to my tv... damn near anything. I just don't have a need for this.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handheld, pc gaming, smach zero