Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Six years later, Star...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 05:23 PM
33 Replies, 2,429 Views
Battlefield V Single...
Last post by Chief Smash
Today 04:55 PM
21 Replies, 908 Views
Switch Diablo III:...
Last post by Terran
Today 02:08 PM
35 Replies, 1,490 Views
Spider-Man PS4 DLC The...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 12:18 PM
10 Replies, 561 Views
Venom Swings into the #1...
Last post by MADxMrMike
Today 07:09 AM
19 Replies, 1,343 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 08:21 PM
2,612 Replies, 316,904 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Metal Jesus
Yesterday 01:19 PM
4 Replies, 710 Views
Thronebreaker: The...
Last post by Exodus
Yesterday 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,347 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 31,166
Blog Entries: 58
Nintendo Files Patent For Playable Smartphone Case Resembling A Game Boy


Game Informer has the story.

Quote:
A patent applied for by Nintendo that hinted at a Game Boy Classic appears to more than meets the eye, now that a more full look at the information has become available. Nintendo appears to be seeking to create a case for smartphones that acts as a playable shell for Game Boy games, effectively using your phone as a Game Boy Classic.

The patent, which was applied for in March 2018, became fully available this week. The patent illustrations show a wallet smartphone case with a Game Boy-style front that would be placed over the touchscreen. The buttons on the front cover would be usable, while the screen cutout on the front would presumably play Game Boy games.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber
 
brandonjclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,579
Why would you want to limit your screen size?
__________________
~B$
Gamertag: legisilverback | Steam Nickname: brandonjclark
...playing Rebel Galaxy
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,805
"...using your phone as a Game Boy Classic."

Your phone can already do that. And the DS. And the NES. And the 2600. And......
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:12 AM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Why would you want to limit your screen size?
Because they want to emulate the look and feel of the original Gameboy. Which means limiting the size of the screen. Regardless, you will be limiting it to 4:3, so you might as well create a universal screenspace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Your phone can already do that. And the DS. And the NES. And the 2600. And......
They do, using virtual buttons. The idea of this kind of case would be that Nintendo would make an app, which would then access the Gameboy games. This will allow them to virtually place the buttons to the physical buttons on the case.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:36 AM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
This will allow them
...to charge for emulated games. Let's be honest about what's going on here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
...to charge for emulated games. Let's be honest about what's going on here.
It's not like this hasn't been going on since 2006, with all three companies. All three of 'em have been charging for emulated games for over a decade.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's not like this hasn't been going on since 2006, with all three companies. All three of 'em have been charging for emulated games for over a decade.
Corporate whataboutism is the most boringest of boringest whataboutisms.

Nintendo is especially, egregiously piggish about triple/quadruple/infinite dipping into your pocket for the same title over and over again. Hence why they don't give you the ability to have a uniform digital account with which to carry content across hardware.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 7,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Corporate whataboutism is the most boringest of boringest whataboutisms.

Nintendo is especially, egregiously piggish about triple/quadruple/infinite dipping into your pocket for the same title over and over again. Hence why they don't give you the ability to have a uniform digital account with which to carry content across hardware.
No they'd rather charge you every console for the same 30 year old shitty platformers. And of course the Nintendo zealots are ok with this, it's only rehashing if Sony or MS or EA does it. Nintendo is only innovative doncha know?
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
No they'd rather charge you every console for the same 30 year old shitty platformers. And of course the Nintendo zealots are ok with this, it's only rehashing if Sony or MS or EA does it. Nintendo is only innovative doncha know?
Not to put too fine a point on it but both MS and Sony have made a mess of remastering old content to inflate their woefully weak to a far greater degree this generation. We've hit Peak Remastering for both of them to the point it's been disgusting. Nintendo has actually be the best of the three, likely because their release cadence has been slow as hell. Plus Nintendo games at least tend to be fun to play again. And they aren't charging fricking $30 for the remake like Square Enix is for the iPad version of Final Fantasy VII. Talk about a ripoff!

And I suspect it only gets worse here on out as games get more expensive to produce and less expensive to remaster and release online instead of at retail.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 7,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it but both MS and Sony have made a mess of remastering old content to inflate their woefully weak to a far greater degree this generation. We've hit Peak Remastering for both of them to the point it's been disgusting. Nintendo has actually be the best of the three, likely because their release cadence has been slow as hell. Plus Nintendo games at least tend to be fun to play again. And they aren't charging fricking $30 for the remake like Square Enix is for the iPad version of Final Fantasy VII. Talk about a ripoff!

And I suspect it only gets worse here on out as games get more expensive to produce and less expensive to remaster and release online instead of at retail.
I agree I can't stand generation remaster either. Just saying Nintendo isn't any more innocent with this kinda crap than anyone else.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Corporate whataboutism is the most boringest of boringest whataboutisms.
Botching about tactics utilized by all three companies while singling one out is just lazy. They all sell emulated games and have since around the exact same time, around a decade ago.

Quote:
Nintendo is especially, egregiously piggish about triple/quadruple/infinite dipping into your pocket for the same title over and over again. Hence why they don't give you the ability to have a uniform digital account with which to carry content across hardware.
Prior to the Wii, their double-dips were typically remade versions of their older titles.

While I absolutely hated the way they used to handle their digital purchases (everything being tied to the hardware it was purchased on), all digital purchases for the Switch (and moving forward) are tied to a uniform digital account that can carry content across hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I agree I can't stand generation remaster either. Just saying Nintendo isn't any more innocent with this kinda crap than anyone else.
That's pretty much my point: They're all guilty of selling emulated games and relying on remasters to pad libraries.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Botching about tactics utilized by all three companies while singling one out is just lazy.
It's a thread about just one. Botching about a lack of botching about other companies in a thread not about other companies is boring botching whataboutism.

Mr. Crankypants, you complaineth too much.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #13
LostToys
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it but both MS and Sony have made a mess of remastering old content to inflate their woefully weak to a far greater degree this generation.
I'd consider remasters completely different from whatever you get from emulation or re-releases of older games. A remaster, at least a good one, will make the game look and play better than its original form. These type of releases are designed to emulate the exact experience of the game, adding marginal benefits like leaderboards, multi-player, or skins/filters that you can enable.

I am far more willing to pay for a remaster than to pay for emulation.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 7,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
That's pretty much my point: They're all guilty of selling emulated games and relying on remasters to pad libraries.
Sure though at the very least MS and Sony "GET" online. Nintendo seems to still be trying to figure out an intelligent way to do online and to me still seems to not get it. Which is kinda sad really with how long they've been in the industry, never a leader always behind the fucking pack.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 AM   #15
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Sure though at the very least MS and Sony "GET" online. Nintendo seems to still be trying to figure out an intelligent way to do online and to me still seems to not get it. Which is kinda sad really with how long they've been in the industry, never a leader always behind the fucking pack.
Strange sentiment considering Sony and MS's boner for blatantly ripping off all of Nintendo's successes. Bring back that Sony all stars fighting game. Man that thing was all the good. Can't wait to see how Sony makes the PS5 a hybrid mobile console. Then, a hybrid will be a good thing. Because it'll play the usual AAA trash that mainline gamers play.

I like that Nintendo goes their own direction for the most part. Not going to argue, their online infrastructure has always sucked though. Not sure why they haven't course corrected on that yet. Seems willfully obtuse.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nintendo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:26 PM.