10-16-2018 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,534 Views

Old 10-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

The Witcher Leading Ladies Have Been Cast

Via GameSpot
Quote:
The character of Ciri is the Princess of Cintra, and she will play a key role in the plot of the show. Yennifer is a sorceress who acts as a mother figure to Ciri and is the main love interest for Geralt.

Word of Ciri's casting has been a point of contention for Witcher fans. When a rumor began swirling that the show was seeking a woman of color to portray Ciri, the backlash on social media was so furious that Hissrich, the showrunner, ended up taking a break from Twitter.

She tweeted, "It's time for a Twitter hiatus. The love here is amazing, and the hate is enlightening, like a real-life Trial of the Grasses, except I HAVE to read less and write more -- or we won't have a damn finale. Be back soon with more insight and more Roach. Be nice to each other, okay?"

In the THR interview, Hissrich had this to say about the incident: "Truthfully, the controversy about Ciri, my own politics or the fact that I'm a woman, to me, just interacting with the fans has helped an enormous amount, because they see I'm on their side."
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

I never seen them before but the 2 girls are stunning in their own way...

Also I haven't seen/read the witcher so it doesn't matter to me.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

They look very young for the Witcher ... or maybe they plan for 8-10 seasons run lol
Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
davidj.dk
Evil Dead

is that going to be borderline pedo? Henry Cavill and Yennifer? hooooly hell..

Unless its like BadIronTree says, that its going to be a 10 season thing, but we probably all know that TV series dont last that long..
davidj.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

The picture they used make both of them like they are 12; definitely in creepy-ville for Cavill.

Here's a better pic of Anya Chalotra, the actress playing Yennifer:

EDIT: removed image, turns out after doing a ton more searching it was actually a pic of a Turkish actress named Belçim Bilgin but is coming up a lot for Anya Chalotra.

I'm back to creeps-ville. All of the other pictures I can find of these two put them squarely in perv land.

EDIT 2: Ok, back after some more digging.

Adding new image:

According to Global Intel Anya Chalotra is 22 years old.

Here's info for the actress playing the princess.

Also from the UK. I haven't read the books or played the games (combat system too unapproachable for me) but hopefully this gal doesn't end up being a love interest too; she's 17. There are much better pictures of her on Google but here's the one from the Global Intel site.

Last edited by vallor; 10-11-2018 at 01:26 PM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

I definitely got a 'too young' vibe and tried to check their ages on IMDb, the go-to source for information on actors/films/tv, but because of the stupid California law making it illegal to identify an actor's age on IMDb if he/she requests its removal, neither of them has an age posted. Their age would be there if IMDb had not been asked to remove it.

This is what it has come to, that actresses feel such pressure to be young that they not only remove their age when they're obviously already young anyways, but they have still-shots of themselves that make them look like preadolescent waifs when, at least for one of the above, they clearly are not. Creeptastic, like they're trying to appeal to middle aged Japanese men or something.

It's obviously free speech censorship against IMDb. Hopefully it will get overturned. Your age is your age. Deal with it already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
KlausFlouride
Poisoned 2 my rotten core

I don't even understand this shit. Could someone explain like I'm 5 what difference their skin color makes? If they suck at acting it won't make a difference what color they are. This reminds of the shit storm in Last Jedi; the bad acting was effected by the actors race/ethnicity, they just plain sucked at acting. Hell, even Daisy sucked, they should have used the actress from Rogue One.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausFlouride View Post
I don't even understand this shit. Could someone explain like I'm 5 what difference their skin color makes? If they suck at acting it won't make a difference what color they are. This reminds of the shit storm in Last Jedi; the bad acting was effected by the actors race/ethnicity, they just plain sucked at acting. Hell, even Daisy sucked, they should have used the actress from Rogue One.
Awhile back rumors where swirling that the director wanted to Race swap Ciri.

Spoilers

Her character is of Noble birth and that would also have to change the race or races of the fictional nations in the witcher series. Their by changing a lot of the eastern Europe based mythology it is based on. Most of the humans in the witcher Books and games white. Brown people exist but are not native to the area that most of the series takes place in.

It be like making a show about Poland and Russia during the dark ages and shoehorning in abunch of brown Nobels ...because diversity.

Last edited by EL CABONG; 10-11-2018 at 08:18 PM..
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:29 PM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

They should have cast Anna Taylor-Joy... AKA the MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN ON EARTH.

Yup, I have a creepy old man crush.

But the current ones are fugly.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post

Also from the UK. I haven't read the books or played the games (combat system too unapproachable for me) but hopefully this gal doesn't end up being a love interest too; she's 17.
That would be super creepy. Ciri is more like Geralt's adopted daughter. In the books her first love is another girl (she is bisexual). This actress appears very young so I can only assume they will eventually cover the period around when Geralt takes her in to be trained as a witcher. The books kind of jump around in time with Ciri briefly appearing as a baby and a toddler, then a bit older, then a teenager, and finally a young adult coming to terms with her powers. One book is told from the perspective of a historian researching the "truth" about Ciri and what happened to Geralt and the sorceresses. The games are weirder. If I remember right Witcher 2 starts where the final book following Ciri ends. She is never seen or mentioned by name, but is implied by another character. Witcher 3 is a loose retelling of the last two books with elements from the whole series thrown around.

Without spoiling it too much Ciri is like an infinitely more powerful Paul Atreides and everyone wants to exploit her to rule the world forever. Not much room for loving in her life.

Last edited by Mad Max RW; 10-12-2018 at 05:48 PM..
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Without spoiling it too much Ciri is like an infinitely more powerful Paul Atreides and everyone wants to exploit her to rule the world forever. Not much room for loving in her life.
Considering Paul Atreides was like the ultimate manifestation of power in Dune that's saying something.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #12
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Geeeez, why do they have to look so young?
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #13
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
Geeeez, why do they have to look so young?
Ciri was Geralt's adopted daughter. Most of the time in the books she is a child/teenager. At her oldest (in Witcher 3) she was around 20. Yennefer was at least 100 but used her powers as a sorceress to appear in her early 20s and doesn't seem to age. Eventually she becomes like a mother to Ciri. That dynamic might be weird in future possible seasons depending on how they look age-wise and if they explore that storyline.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #14
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Ciri was Geralt's adopted daughter. Most of the time in the books she is a child/teenager. At her oldest (in Witcher 3) she was around 20. Yennefer was at least 100 but used her powers as a sorceress to appear in her early 20s and doesn't seem to age. Eventually she becomes like a mother to Ciri. That dynamic might be weird in future possible seasons depending on how they look age-wise and if they explore that storyline.
I really need to play Witcher 3!!
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
netflix, the witcher