Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 06:26 AM
0 Replies, 52 Views

Old 10-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The PS4 has become the Second Best-Selling Home Console of all Time

Quote:
The PlayStation 4 has shipped over 102.8 million units worldwide to become the second best selling home console of all time.

The console had shipped over 100 million units as of July 30, 2019, and thanks to Sony's latest financials we know another 2.8 million units have been shipped out since.

It's a total that places the PlayStation 4 just above the original PlayStation, which amassed 102.49 million lifetime sales, and the Nintendo Wii, which managed to sell 101.63 million units.

The flagship console is still someway behind the PlayStation 2, however, which sold a staggering 155 million units in around 12 years.
Gamasutra.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Yes, I have the red Spider-Man version. I had to have the red one.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Impressive! I think it was clear even before this generation launched that Microsoft was dropping the ball badly and Sony had learned a tough lesson from last gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Impressive! I think it was clear even before this generation launched that Microsoft was dropping the ball badly and Sony had learned a tough lesson from last gen.
I've always said that the lesson Sony learned from last generation was not as bad as people think. Sure the 360 was the dominant console, but when you factor in the fact that pretty much 100% of the systems Microsoft manufactured for the first 3 years failed and that they spent literally billions to replace them for free AND that a lot of consumers just went out and bought a second (or 3rd or 4th) system when their system RRoD'd that Sony really was selling a lot better than it looks like on paper.

They got beat down in the beginning and it forced them to move to a games-first and exclusives strategy that Microsoft still doesn't understand, but I don't think the sale numbers were as bad as the average reporter thinks.

If you take away the RRoD systems and Microsoft's 1-year lead on the PS3, it's not that bad. And in the end they outsold Microsoft anyway.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

The RRoD drove me to the PC. I had four or so Xtra Crispies. All but one are long dead.

Microsoft drew me back to consoles (original Xbrick) and drove me back away (Xtra Crispy).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:34 PM   #6
TheHulk
Evil Dead

Never had any issues with my 360. I’m the luckiest man alive!
Old 10-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
Pumped'Up
Evil Dead

Still waiting for a major price cut...
Pumped'Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

At the beginning of the PS4/XBOX One lifecycle, I think we were all wondering if this was the last generation of consoles... and it's cool to see there is a lot of life left in them. Looks healthy going into PS5/XBOX Scarlett next year.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
The RRoD drove me to the PC. I had four or so Xtra Crispies. All but one are long dead.

Microsoft drew me back to consoles (original Xbrick) and drove me back away (Xtra Crispy).
I bricked 3 to 5, I can't remember, because it's a nightmare of a memory.

I just know I had a few that died, fixed them, died, and my friends had a few that died.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:32 PM   #10
Meeks
Evil Dead

I've never owned a Sony console. Couple of reasons for this. First, I've been a PC guy basically since my parents brought home a Commodore 64 in the early 80s. I was instantly hooked and have had a gaming computer of some variety in my house ever since. The other reason is that I lived in Redmond, WA during the Xbox's coming up. I had several friends on the Xbox team who naturally pulled me in that direction. It was nothing against Sony. I've seen some great looking stuff over the years.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:51 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post

I just know I had a few that died, fixed them, died, and my friends had a few that died.
I bricked NINE. After the 9th one I gave up and bought a PS3 and sold almost my entire 360 collection.

I did later buy a Gears Slim 360 which I still use.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
bigdaddybwb3
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
Never had any issues with my 360. Iím the luckiest man alive!
Same here! I had my original 360 I got on launch night and it never had an issue.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post

I had 7 360's.. yes fucking 7 brick. Aside from briefly owning a Xbox One I've gone PS for the few things I have to play on console.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #14
VideoMike101
Dread Lord

Hey, Sony boi's!
VideoMike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:16 PM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Sony botched Trophies with the flattened out curve leveling system where the more Trophies you get, the harder it is to get a new level. Stupid system that made me totally bored with getting Trophies and once the Xbox One X wiped the floor with the PS4 Pro, offered Atmos, and more streaming choices, my PS4 Pro got relegated to exclusives, as the PS5 will be. Achievements are just more fun and show progress on many of them. Once Xbox copied the "rarity" feature, that was one less reason to prefer PS. Unless PS5 is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than Scarlett which I doubt because Xbox will not make the same stupid mistakes again (and they're trying to shore up their exclusive studios too), I will keep Xbox as my primary system. But yeah, for MOST of this gen, my Xbox was ignored.

The ONLY thing I still prefer about PlayStation is the controller.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:30 PM   #16
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Do these numbers include pros? If not, that's impressive, if so, that's cheating.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:45 AM   #17
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
move to a games-first and exclusives strategy that Microsoft still doesn't understand
What amazes me is how this, a strategy of having more exclusive games, still baffles Microsoft. You can either A) Play the games available on every system or B) Play the games available only on one system AND the games available on every system. Obviously these games need to be better than, say, the library of the 3D0 but as long as you offer choice not available anywhere else, you have an advantage. Mind you, a system cannot succeed solely on exclusives, see the WiiU as an example of what happens when you present Option C: Play the games available on one system BUT NOT the games available on every other system.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:51 AM   #18
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

I bought 2 of them, the launch edition then the Pro. But I just have never used it as much as I wish I had because I buy everything, and PC, Switch and Xbox take as much if not more of my gaming time than the PS4 does.

I don't really blame the PS4 for this happening; I just play the games on the things that attract my attention the most. I am a sucker for achievements. I get drawn into how Xbox merges with PC. Xbox has YouTube TV and PS4 doesn't. It's like death from 1000 cuts.

I still love my PS4 Pro and would never sell it, but I just don't use it as much as I'd like. That being said, good for Sony at selling a bunch. The launch E3 really set the tone for the whole generation.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
playstation 4