Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Hardcore Henry: The Game.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
Rommel
International Playboy

I guess I am buying a VR Headset in March.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
Meeks
Evil Dead

Damnit, I was hoping to wait one more hardware generation before pulling the trigger on VR. This may change those plans.

I just noticed that Steam says I already own this game. Not sure how that works, but I'll take it!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:49 PM   #5
Azzy
Cthulian

I built my current rig with the idea of going VR for gen 2 or 3 and have yet to actually do it. March it is.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:39 AM   #6
Syloney
Knight

I like HL like the next guy, but I'm not that much of a hardcore fan to go full blown VR setup to play this.
Syloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:49 AM   #7
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

I recently sold my Occulus Rift. It is very cool, but I just don't like to sit with a headset on my head for too long, oblivious to my surroundings. Again it is very cool, but it doesn't feel like "relaxing" game time the way playing games normally does. A person walking in, my dogs moving about, or the corner of my table is always something in the back of my head.

Even if I kicked the dogs out and locked the door, not having that situational awareness is just not as comfortable as having it, so I don't think VR is a long-term option for me. I had fun with it, but don't miss it.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #8
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I’ve tested the OR at work several times and the only thing holding it back is the screen door effect and narrow field of view. I’m used to widescreen 4K monitors and my vision feels drastically downgraded while wearing a headset. Everything else about the tech is there.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syloney View Post
I like HL like the next guy, but I'm not that much of a hardcore fan to go full blown VR setup to play this.
It looks like a blast, but with both the PS5 and Xbox Next coming out next year, I don't see myself putting a bunch of money into both a new PC and a VR rig to play one game.

We certainly did that a ton back in the good old days of PC gaming.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

i can go on roller coasters no problem, but 2 hours of VR makes me feel not so great and slightly motion sick. Even my buddy who owns one agrees he cant use it for like 4+ hours either or he feels gross. video looks pretty cool- maybe il just borrow his rig for one game. Occulus and vive are still lacking in triple A software
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthropist View Post
i can go on roller coasters no problem, but 2 hours of VR makes me feel not so great and slightly motion sick. Even my buddy who owns one agrees he cant use it for like 4+ hours either or he feels gross. video looks pretty cool- maybe il just borrow his rig for one game. Occulus and vive are still lacking in triple A software
Yeah....I get hot flashes and headaches after 45 minutes. Weird considering the marathon sessions I've put into fps's in my life. I think it's the low Rez so close to your eyes. Hoping it goes away when they fix that resolution.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #12
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Iíve tested the OR at work several times and the only thing holding it back is the screen door effect and narrow field of view. Iím used to widescreen 4K monitors and my vision feels drastically downgraded while wearing a headset. Everything else about the tech is there.
I got the Index because it have the best view... and when you get in the sweet spot you can even move your eyes around with no head movement ...

And you can read small TEXT thank god... (in Elite its no longer hard)
Old 11-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #13
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

I still get headaches whenever I put on the headset. Ah well...
Old 11-23-2019, 02:27 AM   #14
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

lol people at the steam page are horrible :P

Old 11-23-2019, 02:57 AM   #15
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Damnit, I was hoping to wait one more hardware generation before pulling the trigger on VR. This may change those plans.

I just noticed that Steam says I already own this game. Not sure how that works, but I'll take it!
If you own an Index then it's added to your library for free so weird you have it if you don't own or have owned an Index.

Yeah lots of complainers about VR and what they explicitly want. One of the big complaint was no "big" games.. so one comes and they complain they aren't buying something for one game.. I'll admit in the past I have and I suspect most on here have sunk the maximum they could personally afford just for one game in the past.

Why wouldn't Valve do something to support their Hardware.. console makers generally do (relying on just 3rd party is risky) so this was an obvious move IMO. Your EAs and Activisions wont invest, they will only reap the rewards on the backs of others when it suits them financially.

So yeah a good move by Valve and for some reason some don't like VR presumably due to the cost of entry for a decent experience. Driving 2X 8K displays.. well the PC is the bottleneck there but it will come. I recall playing games at 800x600 and much lower in the past.. maybe younger people have always had HD+ so aren't as used to tech starting off compromised somewhat.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree View Post
lol people at the steam page are horrible :P
Nope just right, VR is still garbage, it was garbage in the 90's, it was garbage in the early 2000's, it's still shit.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Nope just right, VR is still garbage, it was garbage in the 90's, it was garbage in the early 2000's, it's still shit.
Hate to agree here. But I agree. Half-Life is my favorite franchise of all time. I know spec thinks its overrated. That's fine. Ive waited HALF my LIFE (pun intended) for the next half life game, and this feels like a massive slap in the face.

I don't care if the "tech is there" or not. Im just not interested. I don't want VR for a gaming medium. It doesn't appeal to me. And now i have to spend $400 to $999 for a headset for ONE game, on a medium im completely not interested in.

FUCK Valve. IMO.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Hate to agree here. But I agree. Half-Life is my favorite franchise of all time. I know spec thinks its overrated. That's fine. Ive waited HALF my LIFE (pun intended) for the next half life game, and this feels like a massive slap in the face.

I don't care if the "tech is there" or not. Im just not interested. I don't want VR for a gaming medium. It doesn't appeal to me. And now i have to spend $400 to $999 for a headset for ONE game, on a medium im completely not interested in.

FUCK Valve. IMO.
That's the thing, the tech ISN'T there. All of these "VR" games are like glorified Mario Party mini games, it's trash. As for HL as I've said before imo one of the most overrated IP's in the history of gaming, I don't care if HL3 ever comes but I do feel bad for those who were waiting for it, because obviously the people at Valve have their heads so far up their own asses that they have no idea what people who are fans of them want. Again glad I'm not one of them.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:52 AM   #19
ascl
Developer

That actually looks pretty good, I kinda assumed Valve didn't make games any more... but damnit, this might tempt me into the VR pool.
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:03 AM   #20
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
I recently sold my Occulus Rift. It is very cool, but I just don't like to sit with a headset on my head for too long, oblivious to my surroundings. Again it is very cool, but it doesn't feel like "relaxing" game time the way playing games normally does. A person walking in, my dogs moving about, or the corner of my table is always something in the back of my head.

Even if I kicked the dogs out and locked the door, not having that situational awareness is just not as comfortable as having it, so I don't think VR is a long-term option for me. I had fun with it, but don't miss it.
I know exactly how you feel. In my younger days, I wouldn't have been bothered by this at all. But now that I'm an adult living alone, military training and combat experience, even the idea of having headphones on makes me uncomfortable. I don't know if it's paranoia, or hyper-vigilance, or something else entirely, but I need to be ready for anything, however unlikely "anything" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
That's the thing, the tech ISN'T there. All of these "VR" games are like glorified Mario Party mini games, it's trash. As for HL as I've said before imo one of the most overrated IP's in the history of gaming, I don't care if HL3 ever comes but I do feel bad for those who were waiting for it, because obviously the people at Valve have their heads so far up their own asses that they have no idea what people who are fans of them want. Again glad I'm not one of them.
No, the tech isn't perfect, and yes the games are all lacking. That said, VR is about the experience, and I've enjoyed my experiences with VR. My Oculus Rift has been sitting in my storage unit because the game catalog is so weak. This game is something that makes me want to invest in the Valve Index. I've got the disposable income, so fuck it.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
half-life: alyx