Today 06:24 PM
2 Replies, 369 Views
» Promotion

Old 12-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

DOOM VFR Launch Trailer

Quote:
DOOM VFR brings the fast-paced, brutal gameplay fans of the series love to virtual reality. Immerse yourself in the UAC facility on Mars and the depths of Hell, as your skills are put to the test through intense combat and challenging puzzle-solving. Play as a cybernetic survivor who is activated by the UAC to fight the demon invasion, maintain order, and prevent catastrophic failure at the Mars facility. Lay waste to an army of demonic foes as you explore and interact with the outlandish world of DOOM from an entirely new perspective.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
Drake_NS
Evil Dead

FYI, although it's marked in Steam, not every customer noticed: it (currently) only works with the Vive.
Drake_NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Hiquin
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake_NS View Post
FYI, although it's marked in Steam, not every customer noticed: it (currently) only works with the Vive.
And, of course, PSVR.
Hiquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
GodFather
Evil Dead

Im playing it on the PSVR and so far its fantastic!
GodFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #6
Drake_NS
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiquin View Post
And, of course, PSVR.
Yup, sorry, just referring to PC/Steam. Though I've seen someone saying it works now on Oculus, so I could be totally wrong. Haven't looked into it yet.
Drake_NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
I'm trying to figure out if I've got the nerve. That scene in the trailer where the demon rushes straight at you would freak the heck out of me in VR.

I think I'm less jumpy in VR than I was when I first started, but I've still almost fallen down a few times from being startled
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake_NS View Post
Yup, sorry, just referring to PC/Steam. Though I've seen someone saying it works now on Oculus, so I could be totally wrong. Haven't looked into it yet.
Reading Bethesda went out of their way to make it incompatible with the Oculus Rift at launch because of the lawsuits with Facebook. With Valve they slapped together a beta version yesterday.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #9
GodFather
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I'm trying to figure out if I've got the nerve. That scene in the trailer where the demon rushes straight at you would freak the heck out of me in VR.

I think I'm less jumpy in VR than I was when I first started, but I've still almost fallen down a few times from being startled
I don't find the game scary one bit. Its really well donut you need to use the regular controllers because the move controllers dont transfer well in the fast paced game.

But its no resident Evil VR thats for sure. That game scared the shit out of me in VR
Old 12-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
How are the graphics compared to just playing it on your regular screen?
Old 12-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Comparing VR to a flat screen is really a bit like apples and oranges. There's no real direct comparison.

Flat screen graphics, especially over the past 10 years or so, have been very much min/maxed. It's all about making the image in this framed box look good.

In VR, there is no box at all. You exist in the world. And since you're a tourist in VR, your head is on a swivel like it is when you visit New York City for the first time. So you don't tend to notice individual little details nearly as much because ... who cares? It's like a photo of a new car or being at a car show looking at a new car. You don't notice a tiny little paint imperfection at the car show like you do looking at a photo because you're looking at the "presence" of the car more than you are the details.

In my opinion, the things that I care about most in VR are structural and technical details. For instance, I want EVERYTHING to animate. I couldn't care less about the resolution of the textures in Skyrim VR, but I was disappointed and annoyed that the skybox doesn't animate. Anytime you encounter anything in VR that isn't properly animated, it looks like a cartoon played at too slow a frame rate to achieve the persistence of memory and Illusion of Life. It yanks you right out of it.

So TLDR, I don't think there's any real comparison between any VR game and standard flat panel game. They're two different things and probably will wind up being for two different audiences.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Agree with JazGalaxy. VR is like eating a meal instead of just looking at pictures of food.

So being in Doom 2016 isn't comparable to playing it on a monitor even 3D isn't comparable. Seeing Doom monsters physically towering over you is as cool as it sounds a flat screen does not convey the "real" scale you get in VR. Had a guy at work moaning about VR for weeks about fidelity and all the other phantom VR issues he'd read about on the Internet.. he came round yesterday and had a go on a few games now he wont shut up about how awesome the Vive and VR is, you forget how even simple stuff is totally transformed in VR and peoples reaction to it.

Had a go today with a hangover and it's pretty solid and looks really good, was ok on a OC 980TI (HTC Vive), monsters scale is good but somethings not quite right with the environment scaling... it all too big. Porting around is quick and dodging intuitive and very hangover friendly but not keen on the control options.. they work but could be better. Interacting with stuff has been done in many titles much better.. again its functional but unnecessarily fiddly.

It's slower paced than standard Doom 2016 and the quiet bits between fights are odd and don't build tension... just seemingly pointless make busy padding.

Overall it requires a high end PC and the acceptance it's not just Doom 2016 ported to VR. Personally if you want classic Doom/Quake gameplay/movement then Serious Sam VR shows what's possible (so tuneable it's staggering) and Doom VFR needs to look at these for the minimum benchmark for VR options.

Saying all this.. am I enjoying Doom VFR.. hell yes... in IN Doom
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #13
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

I like it so far, PSVR, but man, is it busted.

If you stay on the rails it is mostly ok. If you just wander and fuck with stuff, it is very breakable. I got stuck where the teleporter in the operations room was just making the room go dark and wasn't sending me anywhere. Really weird.
Had to start over. Since then, it has been quite the treat. Using the Aim controller. Pretty awesome with that.

The teleporting breaks some stuff.

I'm using the normal locomotion. Fights are lots of fun.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #14
GodFather
Evil Dead

Quote:
I agree with Jaz's comments and would also add that the experience is much like the first time you played Doom and it felt 3d to you cause it was such a new tech. I find myself mesmerized much in the same game with that "Im in the game" feeling.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:28 AM   #15
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Eh, I dunno. VR is a cool first time experience, but the resolution and movement limitations really kneecap it, and regulate it to a gimmick in my book. The immersion aspect didn't really distract me from the fact that it just isn't there graphically, and that I am bolted to the ground. You definitely get some "wow" scaling moments, but then you actually try to play it or take a good look at the environment and that is what keeps you from thinking that you need one in your living room.

I have spent some time on my buddy's Occulus (I am going to go out on a limb and say the PSVR is the vastly inferior experience) and Elite: Dangerous is the only game that I would recommend a headset for in good conscience. Regular action games just aren't going to have the fidelity or controls to create a visceral experience that is going to replace your regular gaming needs.

If VR is actually getting the meal, it's a raw, flavorless steak. Getting to chew it doesn't mean it's a great experience. Just my two cents.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Yea, the resolution would be too big of an issue for me to get over. I think VR needed another decade of development before they started to roll out consumer products.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #17
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yea, the resolution would be too big of an issue for me to get over. I think VR needed another decade of development before they started to roll out consumer products.
I feel like that's a comment that just doesn't make any sense.

I understand and respect people who don't like VR, provided they have tried it. But the reality is that, as I said, flat panel gaming is min/maxed to feed into it's own version of gameplay. So it will ALWAYS be ahead of any other type of gaming that exists or will exist. Nothing will EVER be able to compare with it because it sets it's own terms.

In a decade, flat panel texture resolution will be STILL be higher than what could be achieved in a 3d, 360* environment. Frame rates will ALWAYS be higher. If the goal is to look like a movie, all assets have to be going toward making it look like a movie. Any assets directed anyplace else will take away from that goal and put it behind tech that is dedicated fully to make a game look like a movie. VR will never be able to "catch up" under those terms. The time would never be "right" for VR.

SO VR is always ONLY for people who see gaming as being more than a thing that makes products that look like movies.

But realistically, there aren't likely going to be flat panel products in 10 years at the rate there are now. VR is such a transformative and superior concept that it will outright replace flat panel viewing in time.

We live in a 360 degree world and the concept of looking at frame that contains all the information in it will be as weird a concept as the fact that we used to answer phones attached to the wall and had no idea who was calling.

Last edited by JazGalaxy; 12-03-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Old 12-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #18
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
Eh, I dunno. VR is a cool first time experience, but the resolution and movement limitations really kneecap it, and regulate it to a gimmick in my book.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "movement limitations". In my opinion VR does nothing but make games easier to control. In VR, you need fewer buttons, actions are more intuitive, and it's extremely easy to move things in the Z axis, which is almost impossible on standard games.

In Farpoint in PSVR, for instance, what would take 12 buttons or so to do on a PS4 controller can all be done with 2. A button for aiming down the sights? No, just physically look down the barrel of your gun. Crouch? Just crouch, no button needed. Lean? Just lean. Change weapon? Just put it behind your back like you're taking another gun off your back. NO second analog stick needed because you move your head to look in natural motions. Etc.

And that's not to mention all the ways in which 3rd person action games feel so much better in VR when you don't have to fiddle with a camera. Playing Zelda and Mario on Switch after playing Merville and Bound on PSVR made me remember, "Oh yeah. I remember how much I've alwasy hated third person camera on flat screens".
Old 12-05-2017, 02:09 AM   #19
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I feel like that's a comment that just doesn't make any sense.

I understand and respect people who don't like VR, provided they have tried it. But the reality is that, as I said, flat panel gaming is min/maxed to feed into it's own version of gameplay. So it will ALWAYS be ahead of any other type of gaming that exists or will exist. Nothing will EVER be able to compare with it because it sets it's own terms.

In a decade, flat panel texture resolution will be STILL be higher than what could be achieved in a 3d, 360* environment. Frame rates will ALWAYS be higher. If the goal is to look like a movie, all assets have to be going toward making it look like a movie. Any assets directed anyplace else will take away from that goal and put it behind tech that is dedicated fully to make a game look like a movie. VR will never be able to "catch up" under those terms. The time would never be "right" for VR.

SO VR is always ONLY for people who see gaming as being more than a thing that makes products that look like movies.

But realistically, there aren't likely going to be flat panel products in 10 years at the rate there are now. VR is such a transformative and superior concept that it will outright replace flat panel viewing in time.

We live in a 360 degree world and the concept of looking at frame that contains all the information in it will be as weird a concept as the fact that we used to answer phones attached to the wall and had no idea who was calling.
Your posts on VR are really spot on. The way I see it, unless you've tried VR for yourself (PSVR, Oculus, or Vive, not the some phone VR), you really can't formulate a solid opinion based on some videos or screenshots.

Trying VR for the first time can be a poor experience too, it all depends on what you're looking to get out of it. If you love to experience games in high crisp resolution, then you'll immediately notice how blurry everything looks compared to even a regular 1080p TV. On the other hand, if you seek a totally new way to experience a rendered environment all around you, you quickly look past the blurry image and just focus on grand scale of objects around you. The scale of VR just doesn't translate at all on a 2D screen.

When I demo my PSVR to non-gamers, I always start with the shark encounter experience. It requires no aiming skills, they don't even touch the controller and yet they have a lot of freedom of looking around and moving within the cage. I noticed 4 out of 5 people who try it want to see more. The gun range mini-game included on the same demo disk is a great second experience. I was shocked to see how many people forgot the table in front of them holding ammo clips was not really there when they tried to lean on it in real life.

VR does need another 5 years to build a better foundation. The whole teleportation thing breaks immersion and despite playing lots of games I still get motion sickness time to time. I have absolutely no regrets spending the money though. The number of times I've watched a friend sitting there with their mouth open, totally amazed as they experience VR for the first time made it very memorable. Even my dad, who has never played a single video game in his life was completely blown away and wanted to keep playing almost anything I loaded for him.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doom vfr