Justice League Crashes...
Last post by LostToys
Today 10:06 AM
19 Replies, 1,189 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Blade Runner Struggles to Find an Audience at the Top of the Weekend Boxoffice Chart

Blade Runner 2049 had the pedigree, the stars and the stellar reviews. But even though the highly touted sequel had seemingly everything going for it, something didn't click with audiences, the big-budget sequel opened to a surprisingly weak $31.5 million.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of October 6th to October 8th, 2017.
  1. Blade Runner 2049 $32.7/$32.7
  2. The Mountain Between Us $10.1/$10.1
  3. It $9.9/$305.2
  4. My Little Pony: The Movie $8.8/$8.8
  5. Kingsman: The Golden Circle $8.1/$79.9
  6. American Made $8.0/$30.4
  7. The LEGO Ninjago Movie $7.0/$44.0
  8. Victoria and Abdul $4.1/$5.9
  9. Flatliners $3.8/$12.3
  10. Battle of the Sexes $2.4/$7.6
  11. American Assassin $1.3/$34.4
  12. Til Death Do Us Part $.749/$2.6
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

FFS 32.7 millions is not a flop ....
Old 10-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree View Post
It is when the budget is estimated to be $150-185 million and all films rely on the first couple of weekends to make most - if not all - of their investment back. The overseas take appears to be just as soft.

I'm both surprised and not surprised at all, though; Blade Runner was a flop in 1982, as well. This doesn't speak to the quality of the movie at all and I honestly thought it would do significantly better.

Still, I'm going to try to get out to the theater and I'll definitely pick up a copy in a few months...assuming I like it, of course.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Globally and in time they will make their money back.. but they wont get 100-300% super profits they dream about ...

They will not get that DEADPOOL % all dream about :P
Old 10-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree View Post
With a budget of $150 million and the expected weekend take falling around 15 million short it's considered a flop. It's loved by critics and fans. Financially they will have to rely on world box office to make up for the loss. However they expected $100 million worldwide but fell short at only $80 million. Also ticket sales are drying up fast. Looking to be as bad or worse a reception as Alien Covenant.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Recently I had some friends of mine who are younger than me watch the original Blade Runner for the first time...and each one of them said something along the lines that it was boring, overrated, slow, etc...

Now, don't get me wrong.. I love the original...but these days the atmosphere, story and style isn't as groundbreaking as it was in 1982. Most of these youngins have already seen Ghost in the Shell...
Old 10-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Recently I had some friends of mine who are younger than me watch the original Blade Runner for the first time...and each one of them said something along the lines that it was boring, overrated, slow, etc...

Now, don't get me wrong.. I love the original...but these days the atmosphere, story and style isn't as groundbreaking as it was in 1982. Most of these youngins have already seen Ghost in the Shell...
I tried to get my oldest daughter to watch it with me, and she was board to tears.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) also moved to slow for here too.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

It's not a pop cultural phenomenon today. The original is a niche classic among a devoted fan base, but its reach into the mainstream is pretty limited. I'm not surprised it's struggling a bit. I am glad to hear it's a well done film, however. Can't wait to see it!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #9
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Whenever anyone who hasn't seen the original is asking me about it, I try to dig into their taste a little to find out if they're going to like a movie that's more about setting, atmosphere, and letting you figure things out on your own. I definitely make sure they aren't expecting Star Wars or Indiana Jones (which is a big reason it failed in the box offices).

Personally I find it frustrating how many people require ongoing excitement throughout a movie to keep their interest. I often miss the slow buildup many older movies had that allowed you to get absorbed in what's happening and helped you get to know the characters before the important stuff starts happening. So many movies just start off with the flash bang approach, and it actually makes it hard for me to get into them (even if I can still enjoy that kind of movie for what it is).

Going to see this tonight. At the very least I'm excited that they didn't turn it into a big action flick. Hopefully I'll like it and will want to see it twice and then buy the 4K Bluray later on.
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post
Personally I find it frustrating how many people require ongoing excitement throughout a movie to keep their interest.
Look no further than the current cinema dreck that is Marvel/DC. I know this site has a lot of comic fans who are usually pretty excited for whatever superhero movie is coming out next but once said film is released it would seem that most fans around here end up disappointed with the end result.

Haven't had a chance to see the new Blade Runner yet but I'm headed back out to Tucson tomorrow and plan on catching it sometime this week.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Interesting to see their take on how some of the current trends play out in the future. The movie definitely moves at a pace similar to the original, so expect that. Definitely worth a view if you are a Blade Runner fan.

This movie didn't make me like Jared Leto though. My dislike of him is still allowed to burn.... so success!
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #12
Arkarian
Death Knight

They should have spammed the original directors cut for young folks to watch. It was better but still might have turned the young folks off.

A lot of people are away at college right now, I don't know if that is a factor.

In the long run the movie will make money, just not the blockbuster take they hoped for.
Arkarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #13
Grimmbilly
Squire

I saw it on Friday and was very impressed. The story is meh imo, but the visuals and sound design are top notch. It's right up there with Fury Road in those departments. This is the first movie I've seen that has me seriously looking into upgrading to a 4k television so I can buy the 4k bluray.
Grimmbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #14
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

For those that missed it in the other thread here's my (slightly edited) quick review:

Watched it. The question isn't if it's great; the question is if it is a masterpiece. Frankly calling it a modern masterpiece may be a little overboard considering some of the plot holes. Small ones to be sure but questions nonetheless.

Oh, I should mention there's a lot of tits and ass in the movie more than blood and gore so keep that in mind if taking a younger crew.

To be clear: this is an excellent movie that stands almost close to the same height with the original. I can see how someone who never saw the original (director's cut) would see it as super fantastic if they have the patience to let the story unfold.

TL;DR spoiler free review: worth it to see in the movie theater, even if you pay full evening price. I don't give that recommendation lightly.

Longer spoiler free review:

Let's get the cons out of the way first since there are trivial.

1) There were parts of the audio mixing that were just off, IMO.
  • For example there was this pounding static bass that would come in, like part of the audioscape at points that was so overpowering it would wash everything out. It was annoying and made me cringe every time. For this sort of thing it usually has some sort of relevance or cinematic trigger but I'll be damned if I was able to figure it out. It might have been the theater but I've been in that theater room and seat before an never heard it that bad.

2) The visual character was not as great, IMO, as the ones in the original movie.
  • They've gone from the gothic cyberpunk old school neon Noir to more dirty grimy Minority Report but they've kept some of the elements to keep it similar enough it isn't completely jarring but TBH I miss the full atmosphere from the first. That was almost a character in itself.
3) There are definitely some leaps of logic made and some plot holes and questions left open.
  • Not because a possible sequel but it seems like just plain lazy but I expect it was probably more due to the movie already clocking in at 160 minutes and had to be cut. Probably see an extended version on the blu-ray.
4) Some might find the pacing a little slower than they like.
  • However I found it about as action packed with the same pacing as the original, IMO.
5) I missed the synth of Vangelis in the audio.
  • This one evokes some of the same themes but it's more of an homage and didn't satisfy me enough to put me in that "Blade Runner" frame of mind. The score really disappointed me especially since the original overture was one of those that started my love of movie scores to begin with.

There are fewer pros but they so amazing they outweigh the cons by a large margin:

1) Despite the length and the pacing I didn't feel like there were many dull moments.
  • For the most part every scene delivered something interesting that kept things going forward.
2) The acting was almost universally stellar.
  • In fact the worst of the acting was merely "good" and would have been well regarded in most other movies. Unfortunately merely "good" was bad enough it stuck out like a sore thumb.
  • [1]Gosling did great. Ford did his best Harrison Ford. Jared Leto continues to impress but he is showing a trend in the roles and acting. That's not bad but it's not always good.
    [2]Robin Wright was fantastic as Madame. Ana de Armas did a pretty good job. Lennie James had a brief but very memorable moment.
    [3]If there's any justice Jared Leto and Gosling, and maybe even Wright show up as Golden Globe or Oscar nominees.
3) The story was unexpected and was extremely well told.
  • It starts pretty straight forward but like the original takes a turn and has a twist resolution.
  • Most of the dangling threads are easily dismissed as unimportant to the story as a whole so you get the meat. There isn't much that's going to keep me wondering.
Like I said, I don't think this movie is an absolute masterpiece but it definitely earns a place on the same shelf beside the original Blade Runner.

So far my favorite movie of the year. Definitely will buy the blu-ray when it comes out to see it again.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #15
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Maybe they're sick of seeing Harrison Ford in everything.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #16
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I tried to get my oldest daughter to watch it with me, and she was board to tears.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) also moved to slow for here too.
Pacing is an issue. I think the film is a better fit for hardcore sci-fi/fantasy fans, people that read books and play RPGs for example, than a mainstream audience, such as people who enjoy faster paced super hero movies, but don't read comics.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #17
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

I think the best indicator of why this didn't do that well in the box office is reflected in this thread.

*WE* are the target audience- so on the nose as to be a caricature, and only two people in the thread have gone and seen it so far. Not pointing fingers obviously, I am waiting to see it myself until the 4K BRD hits unless I can catch it in IMax(which requires a few hours driving round trip)- this is a spectacle movie and a normal movie theater sucks compared to my home setup(BladeRunner could be argued for the poster child for why 4K OLED is worth the money).
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #18
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
I think the best indicator of why this didn't do that well in the box office is reflected in this thread.
I saw it over the weekend with my wife...and she hated it. The theater was mostly empty too. I was surprised.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:22 PM   #19
Dread Lord

Happy to see more Hollywood flops. Maybe.. Just maybe... Try to be original?
sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #20
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Thoroughly enjoyed Blade Runner 2049. Theater only had like 7 people in it though, and that was Friday night. Chalked it up to a combination of big local events that night and the other theater running it having the fancy new recliners... but the box office reception isn't great.

I'll definitely pick it up on BD when they release it.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart