Today 10:03 AM
3 Replies, 221 Views

Old 07-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Dragon Age: Inquisition Features Bioware's First 'Fully Gay' Male

IGN has the story.

Quote:
Dragon Age: Inquisition's latest party member has been revealed as Dorian, a mage who is developer BioWare's first "fully gay" male party member ever.

Speaking about creating the character, writer David Gaider explained that while he is aware some may see the character controversial, his own sexuality meant creating Dorian was "a very personal experience".

"Dorian is gay—he is, in fact, the first fully gay character I've had the opportunity to write," Gaider explained. "It added an interesting dimension to his back story, considering he comes from a place where "perfection" is the face that every mage puts on and anything that smacks of deviancy is shameful and meant to be hidden. Dorian's refusal to play along with that façade is seen as stubborn and pointless by his family, which has contributed to his status as a pariah.

"I suppose this aspect of Dorian will make him controversial in some corners, but I was glad to include it. It made writing Dorian a very personal experience for me, and I'm hopeful that will make him seem like a fully realized character to fans in the end.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Judas
Evil Dead

Dorian the pole smoker.
Introducing homosexuality in games is a gateway to acceptance for children that would otherwise be sheltered from dysfunctional behaviors.
Games should not be a vehicle to promote a political agenda.
EA is pushing this topic in all their recent RPG's.
It is not a welcome addition to my enjoyment in playing a game.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Booda
Beam another Blast

Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

This is some terrible writing and character background as usual.

Quote:
"Dorian is gay—he is, in fact, the first fully gay character I've had the opportunity to write," Gaider explained. "It added an interesting dimension to his back story, considering he comes from a place where "perfection" is the face that every mage puts on and anything that smacks of deviancy is shameful and meant to be hidden. Dorian's refusal to play along with that façade is seen as stubborn and pointless by his family, which has contributed to his status as a pariah.
Not very subtle here at all...
Old 07-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Maybe I'm old school... but fighting wizards & dragons doesn't really get more exciting when you throw a homosexual in the mix... because... whats the point? How is that going to add to the experience of the game?

Games are for having fun right? Sure there are artsy ones & stuff like that... maybe it would fit better into something along those lines. In mature themed RPG, sure I get it, I just fail to understand how it will enhance the game.

Perhaps Im in the minority on this one & Im ok with accepting that if I am. Do y'all think that there are gay people out there that played Dragon Age & felt they were represented properly?

And for fun... because I don't really care what sexuality you are since it doesn't affect me either way...

Gay wizards flinging magic ding-a-lings at each other just sounds hilarious, juvenile and is intentional.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
Divorced
Reaper

Well, I was really looking forward to this and now it'll be a 100% pass. Bioware and EA are certainly pushing a social agenda and not one I want any part of. I have always said that I do not need to know if someone is gay or not just like I don't need to know if someone had sex with their wife last night. What they do behind closed doors is their business. "Coming out" is nothing but an attempt to get attention and attract more like-minded people. I am actually for gay marriage as I am against anyone being denied a civil right that I enjoy. But I am certainly against the lifestyle and 100% against it being in any game that a child could play.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
Maybe I'm old school... but fighting wizards & dragons doesn't really get more exciting when you throw a homosexual in the mix... because... whats the point? How is that going to add to the experience of the game?

Games are for having fun right? Sure there are artsy ones & stuff like that... maybe it would fit better into something along those lines. In mature themed RPG, sure I get it, I just fail to understand how it will enhance the game.

Perhaps Im in the minority on this one & Im ok with accepting that if I am. Do y'all think that there are gay people out there that played Dragon Age & felt they were represented properly?

And for fun... because I don't really care what sexuality you are since it doesn't affect me either way...

Gay wizards flinging magic ding-a-lings at each other just sounds hilarious, juvenile and is intentional.
Different people prioritize different things in games. For instance, I am a firm believer that characters and story are the most important aspects of games, as I view games as the evolution of books, TV, and Movies. Video Games have taken story telling where the audience is a passive observer and made it so that the audience is an active participant. However, even with this shift, for me the driving force of games is the same driving force for when I read a book or watch a TV series: Are the characters entertaining and is the story fun?

For someone like me, having a broader spectrum of characteristics among the characters in the game greatly enhances the experience, because it greatly enhances the parts of the game that I feel are most important.

A Dragon Age (or any) game was just fighting Wizards and Dragons with nothing else behind it would bore the ever loving tears out of me. I need the characters and story to give purpose behind my actions or I'm just going to toss the game aside in 10 or 15 minutes and never look at it again.

EDIT: A couple of games that show were I stand on this side of things are a pair of Obsidian Games, Alpha Protocol and South Park Stick of Truth. The gameplay for both ranges from bad to mediocre, but they both have great stories and characters, and are a couple of my favorite games over the last few years.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
Different people prioritize different things in games. For instance, I am a firm believer that characters and story are the most important aspects of games, as I view games as the evolution of books, TV, and Movies. Video Games have taken story telling where the audience is a passive observer and made it so that the audience is an active participant. However, even with this shift, for me the driving force of games is the same driving force for when I read a book or watch a TV series: Are the characters entertaining and is the story fun?

For someone like me, having a broader spectrum of characteristics among the characters in the game greatly enhances the experience, because it greatly enhances the parts of the game that I feel are most important.

A Dragon Age (or any) game was just fighting Wizards and Dragons with nothing else behind it would bore the ever loving tears out of me. I need the characters and story to give purpose behind my actions or I'm just going to toss the game aside in 10 or 15 minutes and never look at it again.

EDIT: A couple of games that show were I stand on this side of things are a pair of Obsidian Games, Alpha Protocol and South Park Stick of Truth. The gameplay for both ranges from bad to mediocre, but they both have great stories and characters, and are a couple of my favorite games over the last few years.
I agree with you that characters are the driving force in storytelling. Some of my favorite characters represent that thought entirely. One of the best RPG characters IMO was Jon Irenicus. Great motivation and really fit the story of the Avatar trilogy.

Maybe I didn't say it correctly... But I sure wouldn't put EA to the front of trying to be subtle about any of this.

It may be the way they forced it in DA2. Just was poorly done... I have almost no recollection of the characters in that game while I can recall specific lines of dialogue in Torment & Bg2.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divorced View Post
Well, I was really looking forward to this and now it'll be a 100% pass. Bioware and EA are certainly pushing a social agenda and not one I want any part of. I have always said that I do not need to know if someone is gay or not just like I don't need to know if someone had sex with their wife last night. What they do behind closed doors is their business. "Coming out" is nothing but an attempt to get attention and attract more like-minded people. I am actually for gay marriage as I am against anyone being denied a civil right that I enjoy. But I am certainly against the lifestyle and 100% against it being in any game that a child could play.
I know you tried really hard to sound like you were forming an intelligent, reasonable statement right there, but you just ended up sounding like a bigot.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
shadow763
Lord of Woe

I can't say I have ever given thought to the sexual inclinations of characters when I play the vast majority of games out there. So this is just some pandering bullshit. Pandering to the minority which is what this country is all about.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
I agree with you that characters are the driving force in storytelling. Some of my favorite characters represent that thought entirely. One of the best RPG characters IMO was Jon Irenicus. Great motivation and really fit the story of the Avatar trilogy.

Maybe I didn't say it correctly... But I sure wouldn't put EA to the front of trying to be subtle about any of this.

It may be the way they forced it in DA2. Just was poorly done... I have almost no recollection of the characters in that game while I can recall specific lines of dialogue in Torment & Bg2.
Forget about Dragon Age 2. Companions in Dragon Age 2 were PCSexual. They didn't have their own identity. Rather, think about Steve Cortez in Mass Effect 3. He was one of if not the best written gay character in a major video game release. The only real weakness to his character was that he was a side NPC rather than a companion. If they can write Dorian to the level that Cortez was written, he will be a great companion.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
Hagetaka
Subscriber

Quote:
The killing though, that's ok for the children?
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Oh, I would also like to point out that one of the major reasons that David Gaider is so thrilled that he's getting to write a gay character is because David Gaider himself is openly gay, and this is his first chance to write a character that aligns with him.

The IGN story isn't some Bioware PR guy running the hype train, its an interview with an openly gay video game designer who is thrilled to get the chance to write his first gay character in a major release. Cut the guy some slack for being excited about it.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
Forget about Dragon Age 2. Companions in Dragon Age 2 were PCSexual. They didn't have their own identity. Rather, think about Steve Cortez in Mass Effect 3. He was one of if not the best written gay character in a major video game release. The only real weakness to his character was that he was a side NPC rather than a companion. If they can write Dorian to the level that Cortez was written, he will be a great companion.
YOU forget about Dragon Age 2! I'm still in fucking therapy.

I didn't get into ME3 like the others but I will take your word for it. And glad to hear they made em human.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #15
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
Quote:
i think this is great. it adds another dimension and/or some color to a game. i personally get tired of every game being so fracking same in terms of characters... unlike in games, all men are not streoid induced muscle freaks who just grunt, and all women don't have 40DD implants, run around in a tiny sport bra and yoga pants to show off their ripped abs/a**. nor are they all straight white bible thumping in-the-closet christians, or terrorist muslims.

now there's a little more reality in our pretend worlds. nothing wrong with that in my book.

not sure what agenda people are talking about, they're mirroring reality.

if anything, its the 'freaks' out there that think everything outside their circle of 'normal' is an agenda against their little bubble.

people need to get their heads out of their asses/sand and stop pretending.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #16
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

What? No "sexuality is a choice" comments?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #17
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagetaka View Post
The killing though, that's ok for the children?
I can see what you mean by this but it does raise a good point. Killing has its place in a game. Like Mario in days of old jumping on a goomba was apart of gameplay and helped you move forward. You killed them, got points, and removed an obstacle. This helped you advance, and you beat the game. Gameplay at its finest. Pure and simple. Shit died... Mario wins. No one's feelings are hurt... But what does a character's sexual orientation bring to gameplay? I suppose it helps some people connect to the game. Especially if they are gay, but on the same note I never thought about my character's sexual preference before nor cared. I just enjoyed the game and story. I don't know... To me it feels like a gimmick and some developer making a political point that I really do not care about. Therein lies my real issue I suppose. I just don't give a shit if someone is gay or not. I want to play a cool game and move on to the next.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #18
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

What about that super gay mage from DAA and DA2? Was that guy not full gay? He seemed like a stereotype to me. They seem to be implying that this new guy is even gayer. So beyond stereotype to go what..full on offenceive? Gay characters in games do not bother me but the amount of attention they get does. The way EA and the press push it like its the most important thing in a game when 90% of the gamers who play it do not really care is gross.

There is a lot I would like to hear about DA3. How gay the token gay character is not high on my list. Combat ,story,is EA gonna dlc the fuck out of this game seem waaaay more important to me at least.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #19
Trickyicky
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstshifter View Post
I know you tried really hard to sound like you were forming an intelligent, reasonable statement right there, but you just ended up sounding like a bigot.
He didn't even sound like a bigot. He just sounded kind of stupid and like he was trying too hard.
Trickyicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #20
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
I can't say I have ever given thought to the sexual inclinations of characters when I play the vast majority of games out there. So this is just some pandering bullshit. Pandering to the minority which is what this country is all about.
Spot on. I wasn't going to get this game anyway but it earns an eye roll from me nonetheless. I'm just super tired of this crap. Some could say that this medium (and all of pop culture) is evolving beyond me but I don't care. What they need is for people to buy their games and I just flat out won't be doing that.

Then again, I know I'm probably in the minority. As much as I enjoy (on a primal level) seeing the stuff, I'm one of those people who is pleasantly surprised when an episode of Game of Thrones is about to air and the warning doesn't include "copious amounts of dirty dirty sex."

And while sexual orientation may or may not be a choice, it most certainly is an appetite, not some sort of ethnicity. Commence flaming.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, dragon age: inquisition, ea games, electronic arts, psp thread ruined