Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 07:39 AM
18 Replies, 891 Views

Old 06-21-2017, 05:37 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Han Solo Film Loses Directors

Quote:
Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are no longer directing the Han Solo Star Wars spinoff.

"Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon," Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, said Tuesday in a statement.

"Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project," a statement from Lord and Miller read. "We normally aren’t fans of the phrase 'creative differences' but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew."

Lord and Miller, helmers of The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street and its sequel 22 Jump Street, signed on to direct the Star Wars stand-alone in July 2015. The film features Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, while Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson and Donald Glover also star.
Via The Hollywood Reporter
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:47 AM   #2
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The word is Kathleen Kennedy wouldn't let them do their thing and is basically acting as a shadow director of all things Star Wars.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #3
Kheldar
Death Knight

I really hope they tap Lawrence Kasdan on the shoulder to take over directing this. An "Empire Strikes Back" feel for this movie would be perfect in my opinion.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #4
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Need more cow bell.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
GinRummy
Evil Dead

This needs a 12-inch tall singing baby Chewbacca.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
The word is Kathleen Kennedy wouldn't let them do their thing and is basically acting as a shadow director of all things Star Wars.
Well, it's essentially what they need to do in order to maintain the "Star Wars" feel and tone across all of the projects.

Signing on to direct a Star Wars or MCU film comes with the caveat that you simply won't have as much freedom as you would on other projects, due to the nature of what they're trying to do. If you're not willing to play ball...it's probably not worth the effort to try getting on board in the first place.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Well, it's essentially what they need to do in order to maintain the "Star Wars" feel and tone across all of the projects.

Signing on to direct a Star Wars or MCU film comes with the caveat that you simply won't have as much freedom as you would on other projects, due to the nature of what they're trying to do. If you're not willing to play ball...it's probably not worth the effort to try getting on board in the first place.
It didn't work out too well for Rogue One. The director had his hands tied behind his back by Kathleen Kennedy and we ended up with mediocre shit.

Star Wars is becoming like the next Fast and Furious or Transformers. Big and flashy but the same thing year after year. That's the goal. They will never again reach the level of Empire Strikes Back in our lifetime.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

I agree with the criticisms...Disney is going for 'McDonald's' with Star Wars, same tasting product with each iteration. The problem is that just ends up tasting like boring cardboard after a while.

I doubt we'll be seeing much out of Star Wars that pushes into new creative frontiers ever under Disney. About as 'creative' as we'll get will be a black stormtrooper or a gay character. What creative bravery!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
It didn't work out too well for Rogue One. The director had his hands tied behind his back by Kathleen Kennedy and we ended up with mediocre shit.

Star Wars is becoming like the next Fast and Furious or Transformers. Big and flashy but the same thing year after year. That's the goal. They will never again reach the level of Empire Strikes Back in our lifetime.
Considering F&F franchise has two of only 6 movies which have crossed the billion dollar mark thanks to international box office and are some of the most profitable movies ever I'm guessing they aren't too worried about it.

Rogue One didn't do all that bad either with about $700m IIRC considering it was a spin off.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #10
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

So... they had comedy directors making this film!? Yeah, maybe this change is for the best...
Old 06-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:

I liked Rogue One well enough. It did was it was supposed to do, I think. It's not a great film, but it was more than serviceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I agree with the criticisms...Disney is going for 'McDonald's' with Star Wars, same tasting product with each iteration. The problem is that just ends up tasting like boring cardboard after a while.

I doubt we'll be seeing much out of Star Wars that pushes into new creative frontiers ever under Disney. About as 'creative' as we'll get will be a black stormtrooper or a gay character. What creative bravery!
I doubt things would have been much different if Lucas had actually continued running things and actually actively pursued new projects. Kathleen Kennedy was, after all, hand-picked by Lucas to run Lucasfilm after the sale and his departure. She worked with him for years and is essentially staying the course, more or less...aside from all of the "waiting to see what George wants to do" that occurred previously, of course.

We've seen what we get when George Lucas is fully in charge, refusing to collaborate with anyone while having absolute creative control.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I somewhat enjoyed Rogue One, too. But damn does it ever feel like they took a prime cut of steak and rendered it down to an unseasoned greasy cheeseburger with white bread for a bun.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #13
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Considering F&F franchise has two of only 6 movies which have crossed the billion dollar mark thanks to international box office and are some of the most profitable movies ever I'm guessing they aren't too worried about it.

Rogue One didn't do all that bad either with about $700m IIRC considering it was a spin off.
I care less about how many millions or billions of dollars they make than how great the movies are and their ability to stand the test of time individually. Nobody is going to remember Tranformers 4 or Fast and Furious 6 in ten years. Hell, they are largely forgotten not even months after opening.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I liked Rogue One well enough. It did was it was supposed to do, I think. It's not a great film, but it was more than serviceable.
I think that is the problem. "servicable" isn't how I would want people to describe my AAA film franchise. While the bar was set super low when George Lucas screwed up Episode 1 - 3 I think we are very quickly reaching the point where these movies are not going to pull in $1 Billion per film if they continue to be average quality.

I saw the trailer for Black Panther and it was like "Meh". It looks exactly like all their other Wave 2 & Wave 3 films... ie, pretty average. Good, but not great.

They need to start figuring out how to raise the bar. Look at Cars 3, it did the worst of any film in the franchise and Cars 2 was generally considered to be terrible. (I don't remember hating it at the time, but we only saw it on home video so it wasn't like we were being that demanding on our Friday night viewing choices.)
Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
I care less about how many millions or billions of dollars they make than how great the movies are and their ability to stand the test of time individually. Nobody is going to remember Tranformers 4 or Fast and Furious 6 in ten years. Hell, they are largely forgotten not even months after opening.
When people stop paying they will change. I, for one, thought Rogue One was very well done and look forward to future movies with the same kind of consistent quality. Same for The Force Awakens.

Maybe eventually they'll start to grate on me like the Marvel movies have as they become more cookie cutter under the overseer Kevin Feige. This is particularly brought into contrast by how the new Fox movies (Deadpool and Logan) are putting the MCU to shame. That didn't make GoG2 any less fun though. I fear Zack Snyder will do the same with DCU. But for now I'm basking in being immersed one more time in a real Star Wars universe reminiscent of the one which captured me as a kid only (in the case of Rogue One) with even a little grit we haven't seen since Empire.

And I feel like I got my dollars worth with FF5/6/7. What more can you ask for with any more? If you are going to the movies for enlightenment you're looking in the wrong place.

p.s. That look of Alden Enderererefch looks fucking stupid. The little peach fuzz shadowing makes him look like a retarded Han Solo Action Figure in Retarded pose.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #16
bub64882
Evil Dead

Hipster Solo looks derp af.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #17
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Spinoff hell... where Star Wars goes to die. Hipster Solo for the Abercrombie & Fitch crowd. Bleh.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #18
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
This needs a 12-inch tall singing baby Chewbacca.
Win! All win!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

Someone needs to dress up that actor as Pajama Boy. He has the smarmy hipster look down and just needs the proper clothing and accessories, lol.

It's irritating as hell just looking at him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #20
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

I don't care. We're getting over-saturated with Star Wars already. Episode VII was pretty weak, Rogue One was boring, and Han Solo does not need an origin movie (some things should be left alone); I think this movie will ruin the character's legacy.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney, han solo, star wars, star wars stories