8 Replies, 700 Views

Old 11-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Marvel's Stan Lee Series Comes to an End at Issue 95

Stan Lee has passed away at age 95.

From the Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
Stan Lee, the legendary writer, editor and publisher of Marvel Comics whose fantabulous but flawed creations made him a real-life superhero to comic book lovers everywhere, has died. He was 95.

Lee, who began in the business in 1939 and created or co-created Black Panther, Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Mighty Thor, Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk, Daredevil and Ant-Man, among countless other characters, died early Monday morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, a family representative told The Hollywood Reporter.
I don't know what it was about Kirby and Lee's heroes I liked better than DC but they seemed more sticky to me. I'll miss his bit parts in the Marvel movies and now we'll never get to see what the next stage of evolution was in Big Hero 6! R.I.P. Funny Book Man.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
tigerfan814
Squire

It'll never be quite the same watching a Marvel movie again. Godspeed and excelsior!
tigerfan814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

RIP and thanks for the memories, Stan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan814 View Post
It'll never be quite the same watching a Marvel movie again. Godspeed and excelsior!
Next year's three movies will likely be the last to feature his cameos; they were filmed in 2017 and 2018, so his stuff was likely already in the can.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
tigerfan814
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Next year's three movies will likely be the last to feature his cameos; they were filmed in 2017 and 2018, so his stuff was likely already in the can.
Thanks Chimpbot. Definitely going to be bittersweet.
tigerfan814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
TheHulk
Evil Dead

When I watched the last Avengers movie with my grandson recently, after Stan's cameo he said "I like when that guy shows up in the movies." Excelsior!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

For some reason the Youtube tag isn't working right to get to the Epic Rap Battles of History between Stan Lee and Jim Henson.

It was one of the best ERBH ever, IMO.

https://youtu.be/PXBJIZ1NXFU

Old 11-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
Blog
Evil Dead

I grew up reading Marvel books and my house is full of homages and references to my favorite characters.
This is a sad day.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
brandonjclark
Subscriber

This guy influenced America and the world more than most world leaders. RIP.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
This guy influenced America and the world more than most world leaders. RIP.
Amen. Let's not forget Kirby though.

I idolized Captain America as a kid and the sense of patriotism and standing up for what is right not only resonated with me but with many people I know.

Heroes as people with real problems that couldn't be solved with super powers. The (sometimes hamfisted) Spiderman series about drug addiction broke new ground but got Marvel into trouble with the Comic Code. Iron man's bouts with alcoholism explored topics not many had seen in comics before.

Mutants were clearly an analog to racism and discrimination and governments were almost always something to be kept in check and viewed with suspicion. Scientific advancement should be applauded but examined for possible abuses.

These are things comics instilled into their readers, unfortunately as readership declined I think too many of those lessons went away. Maybe the movies will inspire the current generation with those principles.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Ouch. This is just brutal. What a legend he was. When you look at comics today, there are so few people with his creativity and talent out there. You see a lot of people just writing stories about the characters Lee and Kirby created and not creating anything new.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
You see a lot of people just writing stories about the characters Lee and Kirby created and not creating anything new.
Even worse, they create bastardized versions of his creations, shells filled with the ramblings du jour and other ideologically vacuous nonsense.

His kind of creativity is rare. He took real risks and swam against the stream. Today, that kind of independent creativity is nearly nonexistent. Nobody has the courage to be politically or otherwise incorrect any more.

He was brave (ex: Black Panther was created in 1966, not exactly a popular choice for that time). Today we're surrounded by cowards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:51 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Yea, you look at where comics are at right now and there are very few characters that were created past the 60’s and even fewer that have had any cultural impact. Harley Quinn is about the only new character in decades that didn’t end up being a throw away. (And probably Ghost Rider before that.)

With all the indie stuff Image, IDW and Dark Horse crank out you would think there would be the next Spider-Man, Hulk or FF in there somewhere and there just isn’t. (Not that I am saying I would do better, FWIW.)

Lee was just one of a kind and a pleasure to watch and hear from on top of the creativity. If the worst thing anyone says about you is that when you were 94 you were hitting on your 20-year-old nurses, you had a pretty good run.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:57 AM   #14
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

RIP Stan Lee. Hope we all can live such a fun life well into our 90's. You were awesome.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:46 AM   #15
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
RIP and thanks for the memories, Stan!
Remember when Prince died and you were a complete and utter prick accusing everyone who posted of virtue signalling?
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:10 AM   #16
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Remember when Prince died and you were a complete and utter prick accusing everyone who posted of virtue signalling?
Hey look... a textbook example of cuntsplaining.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #17
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Hey look... a textbook example of cuntsplaining.
Well he's right though. Terran was a prick about that. And no I'm not just saying that because I was a target of his vitriol. (yes I am)

The difference is that Prince killed himself basically and Stan Lee handled himself well enough to see life's end credits.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Well he's right though. Terran was a prick about that. And no I'm not just saying that because I was a target of his vitriol. (yes I am)

The difference is that Prince killed himself basically and Stan Lee handled himself well enough to see life's end credits.
Reams of paper have been written about Lee and his questionable practices over the years regarding his showmanship and his penchant for, shall we say, "overenthusiastic crediting" in regards to his own contributions to things. The Kirby and Ditko camps have what many would consider to be legitimate beefs with Lee. But, this really isn't the time to be focusing on the negative aspects like that. He contributed a great deal - more than most creators could ever dream of - to the cultural zeitgeist and had a hand in creating an entire pantheon of characters that are still beloved to this day.

It's easy to hone in on the negative with people like Prince or Stan Lee...but it feels more important to remember the positive aspects about the people who influenced the lives of millions in the immediate days after their deaths, y'know?
Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #19
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Reams of paper have been written about Lee and his questionable practices over the years regarding his showmanship and his penchant for, shall we say, "overenthusiastic crediting" in regards to his own contributions to things. The Kirby and Ditko camps have what many would consider to be legitimate beefs with Lee. But, this really isn't the time to be focusing on the negative aspects like that. He contributed a great deal - more than most creators could ever dream of - to the cultural zeitgeist and had a hand in creating an entire pantheon of characters that are still beloved to this day.

It's easy to hone in on the negative with people like Prince or Stan Lee...but it feels more important to remember the positive aspects about the people who influenced the lives of millions in the immediate days after their deaths, y'know?

I agree completely. I just felt it an opportune moment to remind everyone what a complete cunt terran is.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
I agree completely. I just felt it an opportune moment to remind everyone what a complete cunt terran is.
Look in a mirror lately? Speaking of whiny dripping cunts.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote