Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 11:52 AM
15 Replies, 513 Views
Rockstar Begins Selling...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 11:42 AM
40 Replies, 1,238 Views
It's Sunday: What NFL...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 11:31 AM
3 Replies, 114 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 09:36 AM
8 Replies, 154 Views
NieR:Automata Game of...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 07:55 AM
13 Replies, 833 Views
Assassin's Creed Odyssey...
Last post by Wizzkidd
Today 05:08 AM
2 Replies, 236 Views
Blizzard Begins...
Last post by Azrael
Today 04:45 AM
15 Replies, 1,125 Views
Metro Exodus goes gold,...
Last post by Azrael
Today 04:44 AM
8 Replies, 700 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7,255
Marvel's Stan Lee Series Comes to an End at Issue 95

Stan Lee has passed away at age 95.

From the Hollywood Reporter


Quote:
Stan Lee, the legendary writer, editor and publisher of Marvel Comics whose fantabulous but flawed creations made him a real-life superhero to comic book lovers everywhere, has died. He was 95.

Lee, who began in the business in 1939 and created or co-created Black Panther, Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Mighty Thor, Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk, Daredevil and Ant-Man, among countless other characters, died early Monday morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, a family representative told The Hollywood Reporter.
I don't know what it was about Kirby and Lee's heroes I liked better than DC but they seemed more sticky to me. I'll miss his bit parts in the Marvel movies and now we'll never get to see what the next stage of evolution was in Big Hero 6! R.I.P. Funny Book Man.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
tigerfan814
Squire
 
tigerfan814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 13
It'll never be quite the same watching a Marvel movie again. Godspeed and excelsior!
tigerfan814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,020
RIP and thanks for the memories, Stan!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan814 View Post
It'll never be quite the same watching a Marvel movie again. Godspeed and excelsior!
Next year's three movies will likely be the last to feature his cameos; they were filmed in 2017 and 2018, so his stuff was likely already in the can.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
tigerfan814
Squire
 
tigerfan814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Next year's three movies will likely be the last to feature his cameos; they were filmed in 2017 and 2018, so his stuff was likely already in the can.
Thanks Chimpbot. Definitely going to be bittersweet.
tigerfan814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
TheHulk
Evil Dead
 
TheHulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 625
When I watched the last Avengers movie with my grandson recently, after Stan's cameo he said "I like when that guy shows up in the movies." Excelsior!
__________________
Whoa Nelly!
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7,255
For some reason the Youtube tag isn't working right to get to the Epic Rap Battles of History between Stan Lee and Jim Henson.

It was one of the best ERBH ever, IMO.

https://youtu.be/PXBJIZ1NXFU

vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
Blog
Evil Dead
 
Blog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,532
I grew up reading Marvel books and my house is full of homages and references to my favorite characters.
This is a sad day.
__________________
Steam Community: Blockenstein
PSN: Blockenstein1
Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
brandonjclark
Subscriber
 
brandonjclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,648
This guy influenced America and the world more than most world leaders. RIP.
__________________
~B$
Gamertag: legisilverback | Steam Nickname: brandonjclark
...playing Rebel Galaxy
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
This guy influenced America and the world more than most world leaders. RIP.
Amen. Let's not forget Kirby though.

I idolized Captain America as a kid and the sense of patriotism and standing up for what is right not only resonated with me but with many people I know.

Heroes as people with real problems that couldn't be solved with super powers. The (sometimes hamfisted) Spiderman series about drug addiction broke new ground but got Marvel into trouble with the Comic Code. Iron man's bouts with alcoholism explored topics not many had seen in comics before.

Mutants were clearly an analog to racism and discrimination and governments were almost always something to be kept in check and viewed with suspicion. Scientific advancement should be applauded but examined for possible abuses.

These are things comics instilled into their readers, unfortunately as readership declined I think too many of those lessons went away. Maybe the movies will inspire the current generation with those principles.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33,402
Blog Entries: 20
Ouch. This is just brutal. What a legend he was. When you look at comics today, there are so few people with his creativity and talent out there. You see a lot of people just writing stories about the characters Lee and Kirby created and not creating anything new.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
You see a lot of people just writing stories about the characters Lee and Kirby created and not creating anything new.
Even worse, they create bastardized versions of his creations, shells filled with the ramblings du jour and other ideologically vacuous nonsense.

His kind of creativity is rare. He took real risks and swam against the stream. Today, that kind of independent creativity is nearly nonexistent. Nobody has the courage to be politically or otherwise incorrect any more.

He was brave (ex: Black Panther was created in 1966, not exactly a popular choice for that time). Today we're surrounded by cowards.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:51 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33,402
Blog Entries: 20
Yea, you look at where comics are at right now and there are very few characters that were created past the 60’s and even fewer that have had any cultural impact. Harley Quinn is about the only new character in decades that didn’t end up being a throw away. (And probably Ghost Rider before that.)

With all the indie stuff Image, IDW and Dark Horse crank out you would think there would be the next Spider-Man, Hulk or FF in there somewhere and there just isn’t. (Not that I am saying I would do better, FWIW.)

Lee was just one of a kind and a pleasure to watch and hear from on top of the creativity. If the worst thing anyone says about you is that when you were 94 you were hitting on your 20-year-old nurses, you had a pretty good run.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:57 AM   #14
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead
 
Wizzkidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,588
RIP Stan Lee. Hope we all can live such a fun life well into our 90's. You were awesome.
__________________
I used to indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:46 AM   #15
Juan
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
RIP and thanks for the memories, Stan!
Remember when Prince died and you were a complete and utter prick accusing everyone who posted of virtue signalling?
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:10 AM   #16
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Remember when Prince died and you were a complete and utter prick accusing everyone who posted of virtue signalling?
Hey look... a textbook example of cuntsplaining.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #17
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Hey look... a textbook example of cuntsplaining.
Well he's right though. Terran was a prick about that. And no I'm not just saying that because I was a target of his vitriol. (yes I am)

The difference is that Prince killed himself basically and Stan Lee handled himself well enough to see life's end credits.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Well he's right though. Terran was a prick about that. And no I'm not just saying that because I was a target of his vitriol. (yes I am)

The difference is that Prince killed himself basically and Stan Lee handled himself well enough to see life's end credits.
Reams of paper have been written about Lee and his questionable practices over the years regarding his showmanship and his penchant for, shall we say, "overenthusiastic crediting" in regards to his own contributions to things. The Kirby and Ditko camps have what many would consider to be legitimate beefs with Lee. But, this really isn't the time to be focusing on the negative aspects like that. He contributed a great deal - more than most creators could ever dream of - to the cultural zeitgeist and had a hand in creating an entire pantheon of characters that are still beloved to this day.

It's easy to hone in on the negative with people like Prince or Stan Lee...but it feels more important to remember the positive aspects about the people who influenced the lives of millions in the immediate days after their deaths, y'know?
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #19
Juan
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Reams of paper have been written about Lee and his questionable practices over the years regarding his showmanship and his penchant for, shall we say, "overenthusiastic crediting" in regards to his own contributions to things. The Kirby and Ditko camps have what many would consider to be legitimate beefs with Lee. But, this really isn't the time to be focusing on the negative aspects like that. He contributed a great deal - more than most creators could ever dream of - to the cultural zeitgeist and had a hand in creating an entire pantheon of characters that are still beloved to this day.

It's easy to hone in on the negative with people like Prince or Stan Lee...but it feels more important to remember the positive aspects about the people who influenced the lives of millions in the immediate days after their deaths, y'know?

I agree completely. I just felt it an opportune moment to remind everyone what a complete cunt terran is.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 7,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
I agree completely. I just felt it an opportune moment to remind everyone what a complete cunt terran is.
Look in a mirror lately? Speaking of whiny dripping cunts.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:34 PM.