James Gunn Fired as...
Last post by Butters66
Today 06:06 AM
53 Replies, 1,883 Views

Old 02-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The Cloverfield Paradox now Streaming on Netflix

In a surprise release, the new Cloverfield movie is now streaming on Netflix.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Old 02-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Watched about half of it this morning, it isn't bad. Perhaps not quite as interesting as the first two films. Free is good.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
ashikenshin
Subscriber

It was meh. Felt like a tv show.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

it was ok... more lore ...
but no end ... more like season finale with cliffhanger
Old 02-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I quite liked the surprise guest appearance at the end of the movie.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

If you liked the lore behind Cloverfield, this one ends up being worth the watch. It ties everything together while still having a few questions of its own.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
If you liked the lore behind Cloverfield, this one ends up being worth the watch. It ties everything together while still having a few questions of its own.
It doesnít tie everything together, it totally ignores the second film.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
It doesnít tie everything together, it totally ignores the second film.
You say that like its a bad thing.

It was a fine movie on its own but was absolute garbage when taken within the context of somehow being tied to the first film.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #10
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

For once I'd like a bullet (Rubber or otherwise) to bounce off of a port/window.
"Phew, that was lucky!"

Not a bad film.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #11
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
It doesn’t tie everything together, it totally ignores the second film.
Ah my mistake. I thought the shelter in Paradox was tied to the shelter in Lane.

EDIT:
I also took it to mean the the aliens or whatever they were from Lane were caused by the events of Paradox.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #12
ashikenshin
Subscriber

There wasn't an energy crisis mentioned in Cloverfield either. I think they are best kept as separate universes since they don't make sense together.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #13
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.

I'll have to give this a shot after Altered Carbon. That show has me hooked at the moment.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
There wasn't an energy crisis mentioned in Cloverfield either. I think they are best kept as separate universes since they don't make sense together.
I think that's easily hand waved away by simply pointing out that the original film was essentially set during a going away party; it's entirely plausible that something like an energy crisis wouldn't come up.

There's also the possibility that Cloverfield and Cloverfield Paradox aren't set in the same dimension, but the Shepard accident affected multiple realities.

With that being said, I preferred it when the Cloverfield sequel being tossed around and alluded to was simply another giant monster movie. I also much preferred the original origin for the monster; it was simply there the entire time and was disturbed by deep sea drilling operations.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 02-05-2018 at 06:33 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #15
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

While the films are loosely connected, they're starting to feel more like a Black Mirror/Twilight Zone/Outer Limits type universe. Each entry is its own unique story, and they're all crazy. These do have that connective monster tissue, but that's not the main story, at least in 2 & 3. I'd be cool with a part 4 that is more directly related to the monsters, though.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:40 PM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

They did a great job of tying this film into the first film, but the whole alien invasion plot really has nothing to do with their big particle accelerator and the alien invasion plot has nothing to do with the big monster.

In a lot of ways, they should have scrapped the alien invasion thing and had it be Clovie at the end of the second film, So that they could at least pretend that the films were tied together.

I imagine that someone could come along and try to tie them together in another film, or they could do the somewhat lame “yea the alien invasion was tied to the particle accelerator” thing, but that’s kinda lame since there doesn’t seem to be any reason why aliens (from Mars remember) would care about what we were doing with a free energy machine here on earth. Not when they can obviously build massive spaceships capable of traveling from Mars to Earth and host and invasion force.

I love all these films, this was the weakest of the three, but it was still decent. I can’t wait to see what they do next.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:47 PM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

While I do like that they tied in the splashdown with the first film, I will also mention that in the first film the splashdown happens weeks before the Cloverfield monster attacks New York. The splashdown was captured on film by Rob when he was dating Beth and then they sleep together and Rob doesn’t call her for a couple of weeks and that is why she shows up with a date to Rob’s going away party.

I know it’s a silly thing, but I do kinda wish that these writers would watch the movies again before they go writing sequels.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:08 AM   #18
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
While I do like that they tied in the splashdown with the first film, I will also mention that in the first film the splashdown happens weeks before the Cloverfield monster attacks New York. The splashdown was captured on film by Rob when he was dating Beth and then they sleep together and Rob doesnít call her for a couple of weeks and that is why she shows up with a date to Robís going away party.

I know itís a silly thing, but I do kinda wish that these writers would watch the movies again before they go writing sequels.
I read a fair amount of Cloverfield crap yesterday and they said that it can't be the same splash down, unless it's being retconned. In some of the viral marketing stuff they did for Cloverfield, they strongly implied that the splash down was a Japanese satellite crashing into the ocean. Apparently the first encounter of the creature was when the JJ Abrams's fictional company, Tagruato was searching for the satellite. Interesting side fact, apparently John Goodman's 10 Cloverfield Lane character worked for a Tagruato subsidiary, Bold Futura. Not what I would call a real tie in but I get a kick out of seeing these things.
Also, with the apparently massive size difference between the monster from 1 and the one from the end of 3 has lead to some people implying that larger one is maybe the mother. I'm not sure how much sense that makes though.
Didn't JJ Abrams say that the monster from 1 was basically a baby version of this creature that had been sleeping on the ocean floor for a very long time?
Old 02-06-2018, 04:58 AM   #19
Eats
Developer

Holy shit, what are you guys talking about.

JJ Abrams just bought a random screenplay called god particle. Then he waited until it was in post production, got drunk, and threw in a cgi godzilla wherever and named it cloverfield.

Cloverfield Lane was a screenplay called The Cellar. The actors found out they were changing the name to cloverfield like 1 week before the press tour. Honestly naming it cloverfield fucked the movie up but Abrams doesn't give a shit. It wasn't supposed to be clear whether John Goodman was crazy or if it was a real invasion.

Cloverfield paradox was not a good movie. It has a 17% on rotten tomatoes. It was just a bunch of random bullshit that didn't make any sense for about 1.5 hours. Basically nothing that happened in the movie had any explanation and for the most part they didn't even bother trying to offer one. It took place in the future, but they pretended it was an origin story somehow because Abrams doesn't give any fucks. Then he was just like whatever throw in a godzilla and then roll the credits.

Abrams just buys shit, names it cloverfield for marketing purposes and throws in some godzillas if he can find a spot. He doesn't give a fuck and isn't building a Cloverfield universe.

Netflix didn't even want a big marketing campaign to build hype because they didn't want to raise anyone's expectations for this garbage fire so they just bought 1 ad spot and then instantly released it.

I assume the next one also coming out this year will be similarly not connected and then george lucas style he will just cgi some godzillas into the background of some scenes and maybe name some shit in the movie cloverfield for no reason and release it.

Last edited by Eats; 02-06-2018 at 05:16 AM..
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:21 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
While I do like that they tied in the splashdown with the first film, I will also mention that in the first film the splashdown happens weeks before the Cloverfield monster attacks New York. The splashdown was captured on film by Rob when he was dating Beth and then they sleep together and Rob doesnít call her for a couple of weeks and that is why she shows up with a date to Robís going away party.

I know itís a silly thing, but I do kinda wish that these writers would watch the movies again before they go writing sequels.
Another reason why it can't be the same splashdown is because the escape pod was going to land off of the coast of Delaware. The thing we saw falling at the end of the first film would have been near Coney Island.

They're two separate objects.

Tags
the cloverfield paradox