Today 05:29 PM
9 Replies, 1,125 Views

Old 02-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Bayonetta 1 & 2 Nintendo Switch Reviews "nothing short of astonishing"

GameSpot - 10/10

Quote:
Bayonetta 2's combat is so expertly constructed, and its presentation so joyously insane, that you'd have to try so very hard to get bored of it all. In a year filled with the promise of ever more elaborate experiences on all the shiny new hardware, that Bayonetta 2--a homage to classic game design and escapism--should be the most fun I've had playing a game all year is unexpected. But maybe it shouldn't have been. After all, its predecessor still stands as one of the finest games of its genre. To have surpassed that with Bayonetta 2, and to have created a game that will be remembered as an absolute classic, is nothing short of astonishing.
CGMagazine - 9/10

Quote:
While one might find it odd that Nintendo is receiving such praise for filling its library with remasters, Bayonetta & Bayonetta 2 feel right at home on the Nintendo Switch, especially with a third installment headed exclusively for the console. If youíve never played these games, this is the perfect excuse to finally try them.
Trusted Reviews - 4.5/5

Quote:
Bayonetta 1 and 2 remain a fantastic duo of action titles that feel perfectly at home on Nintendo Switch. Being able to play two of Platinum Gamesí finest efforts whenever you like is hugely appealing, and the abundance of content on offer here only makes it even better.

Itís somewhat disheartening that neither game has received any significant improvements beyond amiibo support and slightly better performance, especially since the Switch has proven itís capable of far more.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I felt like a drag queen playing the first one.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

I miss her long hair. Took me a long time to accept her short hair in Bayonetta 2.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

I really like the 1st one. Never played 2. If theses remastereds were on a different system would they be getting such high scores? Some how I doubt it. Maybe I am nuts but switch bias seems more and more real, the more games they release.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
I really like the 1st one. Never played 2. If theses remastereds were on a different system would they be getting such high scores? Some how I doubt it. Maybe I am nuts but switch bias seems more and more real, the more games they release.
I'd think they'd get the same scores, in all likelihood. The first game was sitting at 90 on Metacritic, while the sequel was sitting at 91. The port brings with it some performance and visual upgrades, as well.

It's a serviceable port of two games that were very well received when they were initially released, so the high scores don't seem all that odd to me.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
What's the "Switch" bias? A secret society of journalists without integrity or wearers of nostalgia goggles, while us smarter non-journalist gamers "know better"? The people scoring stuff aren't some different kind of human. They're gamers like you and I, each with their own personal opinions and "biases". I don't think there's a league of journalists running around out there with this "Switch bias", implementing a "Switch Agenda", with the goal to prop up Switch games.

The 2nd game is a step better than the first, even. They're legitimately really great games. I loved the 2nd one. I'd say give it a play if you haven't already. It's a great game.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
What's the "Switch" bias?

Please...there is no denying the ever-present, ubiquitous bias of 'journalists' so let's dispense with the idea that wondering if there is a bias toward the Switch is somehow silly tinfoil hat conspiracy mongering.

Are these reviews biased? I have no idea. What I do know is that I don't trust opinions from journalists, lol, regardless of the 'field.'

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
Exodus
Evil Dead

If the second game was on other platforms it would have sold more and let them make more money being able to hit the audience that actually plays similar games. Who the hell buys a switch to play games similar to bayonetta? None any game similar to bayonetta is on every other platform except the switch. Whatever they needed the money I guess considering the rush job poor job on korra and transformers was great but I guess when you get right down to it it's a niche audience that enjoys their style of game mechanics.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #9
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post

Please...there is no denying the ever-present, ubiquitous bias of 'journalists' so let's dispense with the idea that wondering if there is a bias toward the Switch is somehow silly tinfoil hat conspiracy mongering.

Are these reviews biased? I have no idea. What I do know is that I don't trust opinions from journalists, lol, regardless of the 'field.'
Politically driven journalistic bias is a lot different than a "Switch" bias. There's a clear agenda/motive for one. What's the agenda in the Switch bias? Let's start with that. What's this supposed Switch bias agenda, propped up by the entirety of the video games journalism/media industry? Is it a "Nintendo" bias? Do they all have stocks in Nintendo? Makes me wonder where they all were during the Wii-U days. I wonder if it was the same "Switch bias" that had most video game journalists predicting the Switch to be a confused sales disaster.

In the case of Bayonetta 1 and 2. The first is a great game. The 2nd is even better. Why would they not score high?

I see a bunch of exclusives scoring really high on the Playstation 4. Some aren't really my taste (therefore they must be bad, and don't deserve the score they got). Maybe there's a Playstation 4 bias AND a Switch bias.

"Call me crazy, but I see a bunch of quality exclusives scoring really high on the PS4. I'm starting to think this PS4 bias is real."

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 02-14-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Old 02-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
If the second game was on other platforms it would have sold more and let them make more money being able to hit the audience that actually plays similar games. Who the hell buys a switch to play games similar to bayonetta? None any game similar to bayonetta is on every other platform except the switch. Whatever they needed the money I guess considering the rush job poor job on korra and transformers was great but I guess when you get right down to it it's a niche audience that enjoys their style of game mechanics.
Exactly. It's a genre that really needs a few good exclusives to help Nintendo's library, because they have nothing else like it. Just because someone buys Nintendo's hardware for games like Metroid, Zelda, Mario, and that's their primary reason to buy the console, doesn't mean they don't enjoy games in other genres. I'm a prime example. I'd buy a Switch for games like Zelda, Metroid, Animal Crossing, but I'll really get my money's worth further with great games like Bayonetta 1, 2 and 3. I really liked Dante's Inferno even. I enjoy the genre. And Zelda.

That's really the whole point of exclusives. It's to draw people in because they can't get that game, or those games, elsewhere.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Happy Valentines Day!!

Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Politically driven journalistic bias is a lot different than a "Switch" bias. There's a clear agenda/motive for one.
You don't think gaming journalists have agendas and motives for their 'unbiased' opinions?

I'm not going to bother, lol...

Old 02-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #13
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
You don't think gaming journalists have agendas and motives for their 'unbiased' opinions?

I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility to have a video games journalism conspiracy, Terran. We've seen agendas before in video games journalism, but the agendas had at least some measure of evidence and motive. For example something like IGN having a clear conflict of interest having a publisher's game splashed all over their website, then that same game getting higher than average marks from them.

I'm just saying there is no agenda that I can see, and therefore unless there's some real evidence that points to a Switch bias, then its much more likely that some people are butt-hurt that some good games are on a console they don't have, and won't buy, so they won't get to play it. That seems more plausible than an industry wide conspiracy to prop Nintendo exclusives up from an industry that just voiced real doubts about the Switch pre-launch.

And again, we're talking about great games getting great scores. Makes sense. I can't see anything strange about that, that would indicate an industry wide conspiracy over much more likely reasons for someone to yell "Switch bias!".

Old 02-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility to have a video games journalism conspiracy, Terran.
Dude, fuck that stupid shit. YOU are the one who mentioned a "A secret society of journalists" which I identified as a ridiculous conspiracy. The only person talking about stupid conspiracies and secret groups is YOU.

What I'm saying is REALITY, and that is that journalists are BIASED. It is not beyond the realm of reality to suspect bias related to a particular platform or series or developer or publisher etc., etc..

For some reason, folks (journalists included) get a hard-on when it comes to some companies and some series. That's a bias. They also tend to travel in herds. Groupthink. Echo chamber. Parroting.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Dude, fuck that stupid shit. YOU are the one who mentioned a "A secret society of journalists" which I identified as a ridiculous conspiracy. The only person talking about stupid conspiracies and secret groups is YOU.

What I'm saying is REALITY, and that is that journalists are BIASED. It is not beyond the realm of reality to suspect bias related to a particular platform or series or developer or publisher etc., etc..

For some reason, folks (journalists included) get a hard-on when it comes to some companies and some series. That's a bias. They also tend to travel in herds. Groupthink. Echo chamber. Parroting.
Yes, people have people biases. My point is that there's no indication of a "Switch" specific bias and the idea does seem absurd to me given the supposed evidence being "good game gets good scores.", when I can see other, much more likely reasons for Bayo 1 and 2 to score well. If I've implied anything else to you, it wasn't intentional and/or I wasn't phrasing things through typed text in the way it was circulating in my head (sloppy writing). If anyone has any real evidence of a Switch bias aside from wishful thinking or something beyond "good games are getting good scores". I'm open to hearing it, and even eventually concluding along with anyone else, that there is a "Switch bias". If someone has emails from a prominent source pointing to a conspiracy to prop Switch exclusive games up for reason A or B, sure. Otherwise, it just seems like a claim based on nothing. The only point I was trying to make was responding to the idea that a great overall series getting great marks seems absurd to leverage as proof of an industry wide conspiracy in favor of a platform. And really, who cares. It's such a pointless conversation to engage in. I probably should have just skipped commenting at all. One of those threads where I'm typing my response and thinking "what the hell am I doing with my time?"

Quote:
It is not beyond the realm of reality to suspect bias related to a particular platform or series or developer"
No, but it's not any less absurd to do that in the face of 0 proof. That was my point. It's not really out of the realm of reality to suspect a conspiracy or agenda with a great deal of things. Maybe we were created through genetic manipulation by an alien race and the government knows this, and won't tell us. It's not out of the realm of reality for our government to lie to us. But you sort of keep those "paranoid" thoughts in check (so they don't run away with you) by measuring them against the evidence presented thus far and rationality. There is a difference between suspecting distorted reporting with evidence and without evidence.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 02-14-2018 at 04:23 PM..
Old 02-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yes, people have people biases
There you have it! I didn't read the rest of that paragraph. Waste of time.

Quote:
There is a difference between suspecting distorted reporting with evidence and without evidence.
Plenty of evidence. You've been living in a cave if you haven't seen evidence of gaming journalism's biases and blind spots.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #17
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Exactly. It's a genre that really needs a few good exclusives to help Nintendo's library, because they have nothing else like it. Just because someone buys Nintendo's hardware for games like Metroid, Zelda, Mario, and that's their primary reason to buy the console, doesn't mean they don't enjoy games in other genres. I'm a prime example. I'd buy a Switch for games like Zelda, Metroid, Animal Crossing, but I'll really get my money's worth further with great games like Bayonetta 1, 2 and 3. I really liked Dante's Inferno even. I enjoy the genre. And Zelda.

That's really the whole point of exclusives. It's to draw people in because they can't get that game, or those games, elsewhere.
Ain't interested in buying a switch just for bayonetta 2 even if I did love 1 considering there are no other games like bayonetta in the switch line up. Also, BoTW and oddysey are over overhyped.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #18
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:

This. Don't need a secret societies when
Many have similar views on most things. Not even saying they are bad. I liked the first one. But 10/10 for a remake of two games from a genetation ago that didn't exactly make a huge splash the first time around is a bit strange.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #19
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

lol you guys crack me up. Alright, you win. We've got "Switch bias" (the media in general inflating Switch game scores because they're Switch games) now in the combined media on the Metacritic averaged score for the Bayonetta 1 and 2 bundle. Based on no evidence except someone on Evil Avatar thinking a great series getting high marks is suspicious. I guess an average score of 90 out of a 100 for the remake and bundling of 2 critically acclaimed games is just too much to believe.

And to think the notion of "Switch bias" based on no evidence is absurd, is apparently too outlandish a stance to comprehend.

This is why I come here. You never know what's going to happen!

Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
We've got "Switch bias"
So crazy! Absolutely impossibru!

I mean, it's almost as ridiculous as American journalists celebrating the 'gold medal win' of a propaganda minister from a communist totalitarian state responsible for the terrible death of millions of its own citizens!

Naaaaaah. The press can't have a bias. There's no groupthink. Gotta accept what they spew as tablets from heaven.

Tags
bayonetta 2, nintendo switch, platinum games