Last post by timmyd
Today 08:28 AM
17 Replies, 2,046 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Pokemon Global Link is Now LIVE!

Roughly three weeks ago, Nintendo announced the delay of the Pokemon Global Link launch, citing the disastrous earthquake and tsunami - and the subsequent power issues - as one of the primary reasons.

In less than a month, however, the Pokemon Global Link is now live as of today. One of the primary features of the Global Link is the Dream world:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Unique to Black and White is the Pokémon Dream World, a game mechanic that is dependent on the official Pokémon Global Link website. In this, the player can befriend Pokémon not normally obtainable in gameplay with unique abilities, which are later captured in an area known as the Entralink. This is done after syncing the game back with the Dream World, in a mechanic similar to the Pokéwalker used in HeartGold and SoulSilver. The player can also maintain a house in the Dream World that other players can visit as well as grow berries. In addition to allowing players access to Pokémon acquired in the Dream World, the Entralink also enables players to interact with each other and perform side games which award points that can be traded for "powers" that improve normal gameplay, such as increasing experience, capture rate, or lowering prices of items in Poké Marts.
Source: Pokemon Global Link

Additionally, the Global Link can be used to track battle stats and overall trainer rankings once it's linked to your copy of Pokemon Black/White.

I've been a little anxious to check this service out; hopefully, it'll be worth the wait!
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Well, I just dabbled with the Dream World for a few minutes.

It is very much an amped-up version of the PokeWalker; instead of having to walk around with a little pedometer, you can play a series of browser games as you find new Pokemon wandering around in the Dream World. If you do well enough in the games(they're all quite easy), you'll make said Pokemon happy at which point you can select one to bring back with you.

It's a bit of a time-waster and requires some setup within Pokemon Black/White before you can even mess around with it; you have to select the Game Sync feature, connect to the network, select a Pokemon to take a nap, wait for everything to properly upload and save(which takes significantly longer than saving regularly)...and then you can log into the website from any computer and fart around with some Flash games for a bit.

Getting set up on the website to even use the service requires a bit of work; first, you need to create an account at Pokemon.com, then you need to create a separate Global Link name and get the code generated by your copy of the game to link it to your account. It's not a terribly strenuous affair, but there are a few hoops to jump through before you can even start.

Is it worth it? I'm not sure, yet.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Sweet, been waiting on this. Only way you can mess with berries, right? Plus I have that entralink forest space that's just a big empty.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
Sweet, been waiting on this. Only way you can mess with berries, right? Plus I have that entralink forest space that's just a big empty.
Now that you mention it, it very well may be the only way to grow berries in this gen. I usually don't bother with them much, so I almost didn't notice.

On a side note, how the hell do you get to Entralink, anyway? I'm too impatient to find the entrance.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Okay, this is extra crappy.

You can only access it once every 24 hours. Period. End of story.

When I was getting everything set up, I thought it said you could only use it once every 24 hours per Pokemon...but, nope. Once a day, with an hour time limit.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
On a side note, how the hell do you get to Entralink, anyway? I'm too impatient to find the entrance.
On your c-gear, click the wireless section and then click entralink. You can access it as soon as you get the c-gear, IIRC. You can access another player via wifi so long as they're somewhere in that top northern ring of cities, so the link aspect (the primary purpose of it) is useless until you at least hit Nimbasa.

It's actually pretty cool, you can do little missions and stuff to boost other players, and it adds power to your entree and nets you pass orbs. Pass orbs let you activate time-limited powers from your entree, like exp boost or health regen or quicker egg hatching. Plus there's the whole adding trainers/sellers to your black city/white forest.

heh Exp Power S is a beast, was exp sharing a torchic just to add pokedex entries. Dude went from level 5 to level 37 in one fight. Exp Power S + trainer battle + level 65 Audino. If you have someone local you're playing with, you should definitely hit it up.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

OK, is there any benefit to trying Global Link for someone with only level 13 Pokemon and 1 badge?
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
OK, is there any benefit to trying Global Link for someone with only level 13 Pokemon and 1 badge?
The content is not level specific, there's no combat or anything. Just raising berries and mini-games to get free pokemon. Possibly some non-berry items you can get? All you'd need is the c-gear and a pokemon to spare for dreaming, and like half an hour to screw around in the dream world.

Only snafu I could potentially see is with the regional vs national pokedex. I've already got the national dex, so I can't test to see what you would get/be limited to in the dreamworld without it.

heh Almost forgot you're a PokeNewbie. Berries are consumable items your pokemon can hold that they'll use in battle, or you can use them like normal heal items. Tons of different possible effects. In previous gens, I always make a point of stocking up on leppa berries for instance. They restore 10pp, and are a hell of a lot easier to stock up on than ether.

The high point of using berries has always been that you could grow more, making one berry a foundation for a limitless supply of that item. In B/W though, the only way to grow them is in the DW and transfer them to your game. So it'd be beneficial at any point in the game to get an early start.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

I'll only go for some berries or those dream world abilities that transfer over to the game. Or for Arceus if they ever give it to us...
Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
altaraxic
Subscriber

Some dream world abilities look interesting... I'm not sure yet. the only place with wi-fi security settings dumb enough for my ds is at my Dad's, which I don't really like spending much time at.
altaraxic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, global link, pokémon, white