Last post by timmyd
Today 08:28 AM
17 Replies, 2,046 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Portal 2 for PlayStation 3: Steam Details Revealed

Valve Software has issued a short Press Release with some details on the PlayStation 3 version of Steam that will be including with Portal 2, including word that if you purchase the PS3 version of Portal 2, you also get a free version for your PC or Mac.

Quote:
Valve, creator of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today disclosed details regarding the Steam experience designed for the PlayStation 3, which is set to debut next week with the release of Portal 2.

The first title to support Steam on a console, Portal 2 offers cross-platform matchmaking, gameplay, friends, chat, and achievements, all powered by Steam. Steam on the PS3 also saves co-op game progress and single player saved games to the Steam Cloud, enabling players to pick up where they left off on any PlayStation 3.

The Steam overlay for PS3 provides access to both PSN and Steam friends, displaying their in-game or online status and providing a quick pathway to text chats, player profiles, friend requests, and game invites. Steam Achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies and are also accessible within the Steam overlay.

Steam on the PS3 provides access to all of these features once the player has linked their PlayStation Network account with a Steam account, which is done right within the game. A Steam user can login to an existing account, and anyone new to Steam can create an account with the click of a button.

In the spirit of Steam Play, linked players of the PS3 version of Portal 2 can also access and play their copy of Portal 2 on any PC or Mac by redeeming an in-box access code on their computer. The Steam client verifies the linked customer and then lists Portal 2 among their library of Steam games for PC and Mac.

For more information regarding Steam on the PS3, visit the Steam Support knowledge base. For more information regarding Portal 2, visit www.thinkwithportals.com.
Sorry, Xbox 360 users... you get to miss out on the extra content and the game updates. Thank Microsoft.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Tintivilo

Still too vague to know if you can just get the ps3 version, install the pc version and sell the ps3 disc or if its bound to a ps3 disc code or not.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead

I'd like to respond with "extra content and game updates... at what price?"

But Microsoft has already rolled over for Activision and EA and the XBL experience has been going downhill ever since.

I mean, if you're going to let EA tart up single player games with online service annoyances and run their own unnecessary, crappy matchmaking servers (just so they can kill multiplayer support for old titles when they want to sell new ones), what philosophical or logical argument is left?

The cow's clear out the barn door and halfway to the highway.
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintivilo View Post
Still too vague to know if you can just get the ps3 version, install the pc version and sell the ps3 disc or if its bound to a ps3 disc code or not.
Quote:
The Steam client verifies the linked customer and then lists Portal 2 among their library of Steam games for PC and Mac.

Sounds like it must be linked to the same PSN account that you use on the PS3 for it to work. Seems like it's a pain in the ass to extort the free copy even if you just find a friend who is only a console gamer and let them use your Steam account.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Tintivilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
Sounds like it must be linked to the same PSN account that you use on the PS3 for it to work. Seems like it's a pain in the ass to extort the free copy even if you just find a friend who is only a console gamer and let them use your Steam account.

I don't have a PS3, so that is what I wanted to do ;(
Old 04-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
I agree, but I couldn't see any other use for the code. Otherwise, why not just "log into" Steam on your PS3 using your normal Steam user ID & password?

I'll ask Valve to be sure.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
In the spirit of Steam Play, linked players of the PS3 version of Portal 2 can also access and play their copy of Portal 2 on any PC or Mac by redeeming an in-box access code on their computer. The Steam client verifies the linked customer and then lists Portal 2 among their library of Steam games for PC and Mac.
So, does this mean if you buy a PS3 copy of Portal 2, it comes with a code for a free PC copy of it? If so, then I will be getting this on my PS3. If it means I get both versions, I really can't see any reason to just buy it on the PC alone.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

The code is likely a regular key you'd input into the "Activate a Product on Steam" selection under "Games" in Steam. This is just speculation, of course...but that's what it sounds like to me.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
So, does this mean if you buy a PS3 copy of Portal 2, it comes with a code for a free PC copy of it? If so, then I will be getting this on my PS3. If it means I get both versions, I really can't see any reason to just buy it on the PC alone.
There is no reason to buy it only on the PC unless you really want to save 10 bucks right off the bat. Otherwise you have the option to play it on and with three different platforms for the price of a PS3 game. Not a bad deal at all.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Hydroeric
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The code is likely a regular key you'd input into the "Activate a Product on Steam" selection under "Games" in Steam. This is just speculation, of course...but that's what it sounds like to me.
Wait this sounds entirely too reasonable and straightforward. This must be false....
Old 04-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
There is no reason to buy it only on the PC unless you really want to save 10 bucks right off the bat. Otherwise you have the option to play it on and with three different platforms for the price of a PS3 game. Not a bad deal at all.
Since it's using Steam Cloud for the saves, it may also mean you can continue using the same save file between your PS3 and your PC...which is great for those of us who may have to share our computers or televisions with other people.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroeric View Post
Wait this sounds entirely too reasonable and straightforward. This must be false....
Like I said, it's just speculation on my part...but I calls 'em likes I sees 'em. I can't think of any real way to limit or regulate that PC copy of the game if you happened to not have the PS3 disc for one reason or another. To link this to my other speculative comment, giving away a complete PC copy of the game to all PS3 purchasers would be a fantastic way to drive home the awesomeness of Steam Cloud; being able to use the same save file between to different devices(ie, your PS3 and your PC) is a killer selling point. Sometimes, my TV is being used by others for things other than gaming, as is my computer; being able to continue on the same save file from either setup is freakin' beautiful.

If, in fact, it's actually possible. Again, I have trouble seeing why it wouldn't be.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
modeps
Get busy living.

Quote:
Since it's using Steam Cloud for the saves, it may also mean you can continue using the same save file between your PS3 and your PC...which is great for those of us who may have to share our computers or televisions with other people.
Incorrect. PS3 and PC saves are not compatible.
modeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Hydroeric
Subscriber

Quote:
Like I said, it's just speculation on my part...but I calls 'em likes I sees 'em.
Yeah, I was just being an ass. I truly hope they make this as seamless as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeps View Post
Maybe they are steam-cleaned...

PS3 is my game box now anyways since my computer is 5+ years old. The PC version is just gravy. I am looking to play with/against pc gamers no matter how it works.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
Tintivilo

I dont want the pc version code to be dependant on doing anything with a PS3, thats the only thing that prevents me from pre-ordering it at this point.

example: "Put the PS3 Portal 2 Disc in your PS3; you will be prompted with a code that you can use on steam!"

the above is what I do not want.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeps View Post
Looks like you're right. From the FAQ:

Quote:
Portal 2 for PlayStation®3 supports Steam Cloud, which allows settings, saves, and progress to be transferable from one PlayStation®3 to another, or from any computer to another computer.
Although, it looks like I might be slightly more correct about one thing!

Quote:
How do I access my Playstaion 3 copy of Portal 2 on my computer?
1. After you have linked your Steam account and your PSN ID, log in to Steam on Windows or Mac. If you do not yet have Steam, download the software here.
2. On your PC, launch the Steam application and log in to your account. If you created a new Steam account using the Steam Overlay on PlayStation®3, select “First time signing into Steam”, which will guide you through the first-time Steam login via your PlayStation Network account (you will then be asked if you wish to keep your given account credentials).
3. Once you have logged in to the account, go to the “Games” menu along the top, choose “Activate a Product on Steam”, and enter the key provided on the card included in the game’s packaging.
4. After this key has been activated, the game can be downloaded and played by selecting “Library”, and then double-clicking on “Portal 2”.

So, yeah.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #17
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

But Microsoft has already rolled over for Activision and EA and the XBL experience has been going downhill ever since.

I mean, if you're going to let EA tart up single player games with online service annoyances and run their own unnecessary, crappy matchmaking servers (just so they can kill multiplayer support for old titles when they want to sell new ones), what philosophical or logical argument is left?

I am trying to figure this one out...
What does the online service annoyances you speak of? If you are talking about the codes that come with the purchase of the game so you can play online to counter used games sales so the company gets money, what does that have to do with Microsoft.... you lost me champ... you lost me.

The match making you speak of, is unavoidable. How every they set up the game is how it is set up. And same thing with the servers... Most online servers stop going when they aren't making money off the game anymore. Usually when a sequel comes out. I know rainbow six vegas 2 servers are still going strong and that game was release in march of 2008... And once again, this isn't a microsoft problem.

This was never the service they provided. So again, what does anything you stated above have to do with microsoft. The only fault microsoft may have in this, is the fact they wont allow an online browser, so you can hook it up to Steam... That is the only benefit I see here and the only short coming of the xbox...
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I dont want the pc version code to be dependant on doing anything with a PS3, thats the only thing that prevents me from pre-ordering it at this point.

example: "Put the PS3 Portal 2 Disc in your PS3; you will be prompted with a code that you can use on steam!"

the above is what I do not want.
While you do get a code, it's printed on a card provided in the packaging.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #19
Evil_SPanKY
It aint easy being cheezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Actually, if you pre-ordered it at the right time for PC, you got it for $20 cheaper than the PS3 or XBox360 versions, and got a free copy of the first Portal game as well, to either keep or gift away to a friend (what I did).
Evil_SPanKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
wastedyears
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

I suppose you think that EA and every other company that makes a game with any sort of online component must keep its servers up and running until the end of time, right? Guess what--It doesn't work that way. The video game business is a business, not a charity.
wastedyears is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portal 2, steam, valve