Today 11:37 AM
22 Replies, 1,686 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #21
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
the silmarillion would make an awesome mini series
Having read the Silmarillion, the idea of it fitting into a mini-anything is laughable. Unless, of course, we're just going to run each episode as a CliffsNotes show, lol.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #22
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Having read the Silmarillion, the idea of it fitting into a mini-anything is laughable. Unless, of course, we're just going to run each episode as a CliffsNotes show, lol.
Yeah, they would have to take one of the stories within and just make up characters and stories so that it's within the framework but doesn't span thousand upon thousands of years.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:46 AM   #23
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
If I hear any more about Tom Bobadil I'm going to have to put a virtual cap in a mutha

A good start

Written at a juvenile level. You've got to be kidding me. This is home to some of the WORST tropes ever. The only flatter characters and thinner plots are in David Gemmell but at least Gemmell did it on purpose because he knew the stories he was telling were about legends and were meant to be quick pulpy reads. Eddings actually thought he was DEEP!

Good lord, the guy spends 90% the pages bitching and moaning in self pity about "woe is me, I is leper, woe is me!". If I were going to make a movie or series from him I'd do it using his "Gap" Sci Fi stuff.

Again, very shallow and the worst example of stereo types except this time in the high fantasy. At best I'd say if we're going to use a TSR/Wizards world something along the line of Forgotten Realms allows for better stories and more growth due to the large amount of variety in the franchise.

Also, since the 90s fantasy has moved away from the "high" fantasy type with authors like Tad Williams, Robin Hobb, Robert Jordan, Glen Cook (who's fantasy is uneven at best I say). Look at the "recents" like Joe Abercrombie, George RR Martin, and the notable newbie Patrick Rothfuss; they are almost entirely human centric with a few shots of the mystic and fantastical to add the fantasy.

Is it time for high fantasy to make a comeback? I don't know. Book trends in the last 20 years tell us no, at least not for adult fare. We're requiring more intelligence from our books. I hear kids don't read much these days. We have to rely on things like Fablehaven, and Harry Potter to guide the taste of these movie goers.

Speaking of which. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Fablehaven movie or TV series yet. On the other hand Narnia failed. Course that's probably because they only invested 75% of what they needed into the CGI budget and the stories didn't resonate with a modern audience.
I said "I'd much rather see" these than redoing LotR. Primarily because they are books i enjoyed as a kid. And I would like to see them brought to life. I don't really care about what's the popular thing in fantasy today. I'm not looking for emmy winners here. Any of the ones Ive listed would be better than a "new spin" on LotR or more of The Shannara Chronicles.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #24
eth3rton
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
they will screw it up.

jackson understood the attention to detail needed to make it work
Dunno, Amazon has done some nice series. Seen The Man in the High Castle?
eth3rton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lord of the rings