Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 07:11 PM
20 Replies, 1,292 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #41
Terran
Evil Dead

Sure, sure, they know, they know.

And Hillary is a shoe in, lol.* Experts. Get back to me when actual data is in from the entire weekend before telling me the weekend numbers.

* President TRUMP! trolololololololol...
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #42
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

They were accurate when calling Blade Runner 2049. And that movie ended up losing $80 million and potentially killing Alcon Entertainment.

As of right now Justice League is projected to end up around 20-25 million short of their $120 million weekend goal. That would make it the lowest earning weekend opening in the history of the DCEU. Either audiences are getting tired of these movies (doubtful, when Thor Ragnarok just came out and did extremely well), or the negative critical consensus setup bad word of mouth hurting ticket sales, or more likely the movie actually sucks and people don't want to waste their money.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #43
Fubl
Evil Dead

im hoping it doesnt kill alcon i need more of the Expanse in my life..
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #44
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Just got back. My favorite superhero movie in a long time; I hesitate to say ever but it's close. Even Aqua-bro did a good job and I thought the surfer boy take would drive me crazy. Unlike Marvel movie the DC movies tend to have more drama and this one had it in all the right areas. It had the funny in all the right areas.

I had a few problems toward the end but without going to spoiler territory all I can say is it hit me hard right from the start and kept going to the near end.

As an aside, Box Office Mojo currently has Justice League at nearly $300m on the first weekend worldwide. I think they'll do OK.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #45
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
They were accurate when calling Blade Runner 2049. And that movie ended up losing $80 million and potentially killing Alcon Entertainment.
Worldwide Blade Runner is at $250m worldwide.

Depending on what source you use for the production figure (some say $155m some say $180m) and you assume a $100m marketing summer blockbuster marketing budget (which I doubt) they broke even or lost $30m not $80 and this was spread across several production companies. This is before including any funds from OnDemand, Blu-Ray, Netflix, etc.

It's not anything to write home to but remember the original Blade Runner also failed at the box office but became so popular and profitable in the home market it spawned the sequel to begin with.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #46
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

Saw JL yesterday, and really liked it. I still like Man of Steel the best, but JL is great and I can't wait to watch it again. Seeing all these icons next to each other was awesome. Some of the best parts (without giving spoilers) are between Superman and the Flash. And when Superman first shows up, my god that was worth the price of admission alone. Fucking A.

But we can't pretend the box office isn't a disappointment. The negative RT scores, the drama with Snyder leaving and Whedon coming on, the divisive reception of BvS have all hurt it. It's too bad, because nearly everyone I see talking about it likes it. Even looking at the #JusticeLeague hashtag on twitter shows near endless positive comments. This is way different than BvS; I really liked that film, especially the Ultimate cut, but when that was out and I looked at the hashtag on twitter, it was near endless negativity.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #47
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
But we can't pretend the box office isn't a disappointment.
You have weekend numbers? Because the weekend isn't over yet. Did you return from the future, or are you...pretending?

My GOD, the rooting against this movie is really funny. How about we discuss the weekend numbers tomorrow rather than BEFORE the weekend has ended? It may be terrible, it may be mediocre, it may be on target, it may be great. Until the weekend is over, we won't have full numbers from the weekend.

This isn't a challenging concept, lol.

BvS was a terrible film, but this one is well worth a watch. I enjoyed it completely. HATED BvS. With a burning passion. The worst film I've seen in a theater in a decade. I felt physical and mental pain sitting through it. I was literally uncomfortable. JL was great. See it.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #48
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
You have weekend numbers? Because the weekend isn't over yet. Did you return from the future, or are you...pretending?

miMy GOD, the rooting against this movie is really funny. How about we discuss the weekend numbers tomorrow rather than BEFORE the weekend has ended? It may be terrible, it may be mediocre, it may be on target, it may be great. Until the weekend is over, we won't have full numbers from the weekend.
Hey now, I'm not rooting against this film at all. I will see it again next weekend and will buy the 4K bluray. It's a badass film! So I say it with great disappointment that the box office is disappointing. I follow the box office regularly, and the weekend estimates are always within a couple million of the weekend actuals. So the current estimate of 96 million will be around the same when the actuals come in; could be 94 million, could be 99 million, but they were projecting 110 million last week, so it's a disappointment.

Not to mention BvS had an opening weekend of 166 million, and Man of Steel had 116 million, so it should be a no brainer that the Justice League would beat or come close those numbers. Suicide Squad hit 135 million, and JL is ten times better than that!

I hope that history is made and the Sunday box office kicks ass and makes an unexpected amount of money, but it just isn't likely. The shitty thing is this coming in under 100 mil could mean no JL 2, at least not with this lineup. I hope to hell that isn't true, but there are already tons of rumors about Jake Gyllenhaal taking over as Batman.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #49
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
Hey now, I'm not rooting against this film at all. I will see it again next weekend and will buy the 4K bluray. It's a badass film! So I say it with great disappointment that the box office is disappointing. I follow the box office regularly, and the weekend estimates are always within a couple million of the weekend actuals. So the current estimate of 96 million will be around the same when the actuals come in; could be 94 million, could be 99 million, but they were projecting 110 million last week, so it's a disappointment.

Not to mention BvS had an opening weekend of 166 million, and Man of Steel had 116 million, so it should be a no brainer that the Justice League would beat or come close those numbers. Suicide Squad hit 135 million, and JL is ten times better than that!

I hope that history is made and the Sunday box office kicks ass and makes an unexpected amount of money, but it just isn't likely. The shitty thing is this coming in under 100 mil could mean no JL 2, at least not with this lineup. I hope to hell that isn't true, but there are already tons of rumors about Jake Gyllenhaal taking over as Batman.
I think gyllenhaal might be a great Batman. I think he is a weird guy who projects a subtle crazy vibe that I think would work well in the film. My mental version of Bruce Wayne is a lot less “together” than all the movies have him being, so far. I think the Time cartoon is the only one that truely gets it close.

I think Brice should be a guy obsessed with the thin line between order and chaos. He doesn’t watch sports. He doesn’t go to the movies. He doesn’t care about frivolous things. All he cares about is keeping the insanity and senselessness that killed his parents from taking over the city.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote