22 Replies, 1,643 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

CD Projekt Red: "We leave greed to others"

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
CD Projekt joint-CEO Adam Kicinski rattled fans when, in a Polish interview with Strefa Inwestorow, he said things like, "we're interested in Cyberpunk being commercially even more significant", and, "Online is very necessary, or very recommended if you wish to achieve long-term success."

Cyberpunk 2077 having online multiplayer is not something we've heard for a while but it is something CD Projekt Red has talked about before, even as long ago as in 2013, when studio head Adam Badowski told me Cyberpunk 2077 will be "a story-based RPG experience with amazing single-player playthroughs, but we're going to add multiplayer features".

The worry is not only whether synchronous multiplayer like this will detract from the kind of single-player experience we're all hoping CD Projekt Red can deliver in Cyberpunk 2077, but whether, in relation to being "commercially even more significant", multiplayer will be a conduit for the game taking more of our cash, through microtransactions or whatever.

Given the storm surrounding Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and loot boxes in general, it's an understandable concern, and presumably why CD Projekt Red felt the need to write the tweet it did.

"Worry not," replied CDPR to Pretty Good Gaming, in response to a video airing similar concerns. "When thinking [Cyberpunk 2077], think nothing less than [The Witcher 3] - huge single-player, open world, story-driven RPG. No hidden catch, you get what you pay for - no bullshit, just honest gaming like with Wild Hunt."

Then the clincher: "We leave greed to others."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Balhem
Evil Dead

This is one of the few companys that I truly have full faith in. They have always shown their fans respect and have gone above and beyond to make sure that they don't get screwed over, like in the original witcher, when they were finally able to release the enhanced edition, with all original artwork non edited and all their fixes was released.

They gave it free to their already owned players, where EA or any other studio pretty much would say, buy it now as a new product or atleast pay us 10 dollars to unlock it. the witcher 3 they gave away 9 DLC for free as well, sure most of it wasnt very big, but its something they didnt have to do, and the actual big story DLC was fairly priced and added huge amounts to the game for the price.

I am eagerly awaiting the chance to get my hands on this game, and is one of the few pre order full price games i will get due to the goodwill they have garnered atleast with me
Old 11-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Sure, except that time when the grabbed the mark for "Cyberpunk" which is a gross injustice and grab of the highest caliber.

I'm disgusted people are actually an apologist for this company after they did something this nefarious. People jumped all over Bethesda for going after Mojang for "Scrolls" but nary a peep for an even worse slimeball move over putting a common word under trademark.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #4
blackzc
Evil Dead

NB4 CD Projekt is labeled the official video game developer of the Alt Right. And they are out of Poland.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Im hoping for coop campaign.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #6
Balhem
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Sure, except that time when the grabbed the mark for "Cyberpunk" which is a gross injustice and grab of the highest caliber.

I'm disgusted people are actually an apologist for this company after they did something this nefarious. People jumped all over Bethesda for going after Mojang for "Scrolls" but nary a peep for an even worse slimeball move over putting a common word under trademark.
Yes this is true, although if you look at why they did it, and what they have used it for it makes sense. They are not saying people cant use the word Cyberpunk, just that they can not use it in association direclty corresponding to their game, unlike Bethesda who used Scrolls for mojang, which is directly what CDPR said they wouldnt use it for, nor have they. So that is a huge differance.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

"We leave greed to others...but, we do like copyrighting trademarking and claiming ownership over a common literary term that's been around since the 1960's."

(I forgot they filed a trademark, not a copyright.)

Last edited by Chimpbot; 11-20-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #8
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I could have sworn they acquired the trademark registrations from the original PnP RPG and has nothing to do with copyrighting or patenting the word itself. They don't own the term "cyberpunk". That's not how trademarks work.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
I could have sworn they acquired the trademark registrations from the original PnP RPG and has nothing to do with copyrighting or patenting the word itself. They don't own the term "cyberpunk". That's not how trademarks work.
While they technically based the trademark on Cyperbunk 2013 and Cyberpunk 2020...the entire point behind it involves allowing them to put the kibosh to any video game containing the word "cyberpunk" in the name of "avoiding confusion". If they were to deem your title too similar to theirs, they could force you to change it.

Essentially, they tradmarked the name of a pen & paper game...whose name wasn't trademarked to begin with. They're still claiming a level of ownership over a generic literary term.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Editing your previous post from "copyrighting" to "trademarking" doesn't make you less wrong. You're pretending to be angry over an extremely unlikely hypothetical scenario.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Editing your previous post from "copyrighting" to "trademarking" doesn't make you less wrong. You're pretending to be angry over an extremely unlikely hypothetical scenario.
I wouldn't exactly call it "angry", because I really don't give a shit. It's just funny seeing a company take shots at others for being "greedy" while they made moves earlier in the year to protect a common term from being used by others.

I'm not wrong, though; they still trademarked a common term and it still gives them the ability to go after anyone who uses the term in the title of the game if it's deemed "too similar" to their usage.

Will it happen? Maybe. Maybe not.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #12
GinRummy
Evil Dead

I have no problem with the Trademark kerfluffle thingie. In today's game market I can easily see some shady company coming in and releasing a piece of last-minute crap named "Cyberpunk 3030" or some such right when the real game comes out. They need to have at least some recourse to address this.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
I have no problem with the Trademark kerfluffle thingie. In today's game market I can easily see some shady company coming in and releasing a piece of last-minute crap named "Cyberpunk 3030" or some such right when the real game comes out. They need to have at least some recourse to address this.
Well, that's part of the danger involved with using generic terms as the title of your AAA, big-budget video game project. If you want to avoid that, it's best to come up with something a little more original.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #14
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

They also leave decent working conditions for their employees up to others as well. Comparatively.. Just saying.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balhem View Post
Yes this is true, although if you look at why they did it, and what they have used it for it makes sense. They are not saying people cant use the word Cyberpunk, just that they can not use it in association direclty corresponding to their game, unlike Bethesda who used Scrolls for mojang, which is directly what CDPR said they wouldnt use it for, nor have they. So that is a huge differance.
If Jorden Wiesman, the creator of Shadowrun decided he wanted to make a game called "Shadowrun's 2079 Cyberpunk Wars" in they would shut Hairbrained Schemes down in a New York Second despite Shadowrun (1989) being prior art of the same concept existing decades prior to the trademark application.

This is WRONG.

If Gibson, one of the first who coined the word (1984), wanted to create "Gibson's Cyberpunk" they could sue him into oblivion.

This is WRONG.

As others mentioned Cyberpunk Pen and Paper never requested the trademark in 1988 nor did they gain a trademark for Cyberpunk 2013 or Cyberpunk 2020 during the applicable periods of time nor did they, any time between then and the acquisition by CDPR defend against any use of the word Cyberpunk or any derivative. The word fell into common use and should be public domain even if it's capitalized or used in a title with a sequence of numbers.

I can't understand how people are OK when companies put a trademark and have the power now to potentially apply crippling litigation toward others who use that word is at all in the best interest of anyone. Or deluding themselves into thinking CDPR isn't abusing the industry only in a different way. But since they made the Witcher series and they were good games, all is forgiven!

It's the same gatdamn thing with Valve and how the gamers let them get away with everything cause Steam. Steam is a god to gamers therefore The House of Gaben can do no wrong.

Last edited by vallor; 11-21-2017 at 12:18 AM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cd projekt red, cyberpunk 2077, ea sucks