26 Replies, 2,984 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Nintendo Switch prices soar to new heights in Japan ahead of Splatoon 2 launch

Destructoid has the story.

Quote:
We are one week away from the release of the highly anticipated Splatoon 2 which has got many fans, including young Japanese aquarium-goers, very excited. Unfortunately, if you're in Japan and don't already own the console, now is not the best time to go shopping for one as resell prices are higher than ever.

While the retail price is 32,378 yen, the actual going price is around 49,500 yen at even the largest distributors, Rakuten and Amazon Japan. That is more than a 50% increase, and we're not even talking scalpers.

Nintendo has said they are upping production, but it's a bit late for those who were hoping to get one of the three major Switch titles releasing this year.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

It's too bad Splatoon is an exclusive. More peopleneed to play this game series.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
It's too bad Splatoon is an exclusive. More people need to play this game series.
Well it is a Nintendo 1st party title, so of course naturally exclusive, but I agree, it's extremely fun, and very much undervalued as a newer IP. Namely because not enough people have played it. Hopefully that changes with the Switch. I can't wait to play this with friends. It's the reason I'm buying a Switch this month.

But contrary to the quote above, I'd definitely argue there are more than 3 major Switch titles being released this year.

Splatoon 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 2.10m already
Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 3.00m already
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (XCOM Mario)
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I have a hunch all of those above which haven't released yet will sell 1.5 million or more. Xenoblade Chronicles X sold a million units on a lame duck console.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 07-15-2017 at 03:23 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Nintendo and their goal to make scalpers rich. It's amazing that a company that has done the amount of hardware launches Nintendo has. They still don't get it.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Nintendo and their goal to make scalpers rich. It's amazing that a company that has done the amount of hardware launches Nintendo has. They still don't get it.

Sure they do. Its you that doesn't get it.

They did a conservative launch. Had it been a failure they would have tried something else. Everyone loves it so they are going to be committing to it 100%. This is what you have to do if you don't have the backing of huge conglomerates like Sony and MS do.

There really isn't a big need to have 25 Million consoles out there when the library is so thin, that could cause resentment with the buyers. Production will ramp up come Christmas after Splatoon and Mario are out.

Nintendo has sold hundreds of millions of consoles and handhelds in the past 15 years. To say they don't get it is silly.

They aren't doing what you want, they way you want. And that a good thing. Because they Switch is going to end up being as a the 3DS or Wii. If Nintendo did what your average western game dev does they would flood the market with literally everything they had, would make a bunch of money and would be left with tired dead IP's. Mario games, $7 at the bargain bin. $1 Amiibos. They would then close up shop or get bought out.

That, is called not getting it. Your just not bright.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
It's too bad Splatoon is an exclusive. More peopleneed to play this game series.
I wouldn't worry, everyone is going to have a Switch at some point. Splatoon is going to be huge. I played it on the WiiU forever, and im still ready to get back in. Its a dam good game.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Imagine the eBay bloodbath for Switches next month for back to school (kids leaving for college) then in a few months as people start buying for Christmas because production is still lackluster. I still can't get my hands on one and I do a casual search now and then.

I can easily see $600 or more a unit.

Of course it may also be a huge win for Xbox and Sony as people aren't able to get Switches. After all why pay $600 to a speculator when you can just drop $250 on an Xbox or PlayStation bundle and get a great couple of games and all the cool media stuff too.

The money is Nintendo's to leave on the table.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:47 AM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Imagine the eBay bloodbath for Switches next month for back to school (kids leaving for college) then in a few months as people start buying for Christmas because production is still lackluster. I still can't get my hands on one and I do a casual search now and then.

I can easily see $600 or more a unit.

Of course it may also be a huge win for Xbox and Sony as people aren't able to get Switches. After all why pay $600 to a speculator when you can just drop $250 on an Xbox or PlayStation bundle and get a great couple of games and all the cool media stuff too.

Nintendo is quite adept at leaving money on the table. Despite their fanboys continually stating not to look behind the curtain.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 AM   #9
Rommel
International Playboy

I don't understand the shortage locations. I've said this before but I can buy a Switch here on the way home from work at MSRP without effort.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:46 AM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I don't understand the shortage locations. I've said this before but I can buy a Switch here on the way home from work at MSRP without effort.
What's not to understand? Nintendo purposely lowballs shipments thinking doing so will create some magical demand for their hardware. What Nintendo apparently hasn't realized in the last 30 years is that software pushes hardware sales, and when you have a lack of 3rd party support and your 1st party titles are usually 8-12 months apart you generally end up with a problem.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #11
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
What's not to understand?
Why they shipped so many to Hong Kong, a country with 7.3 million people, when they could have saved those units for Japan.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
What's not to understand? Nintendo purposely lowballs shipments thinking doing so will create some magical demand for their hardware.
A company that utilizes air freight for what essentially amounted to emergency shipments is not attempting to restrict stock or lowball shipments.

Quote:
What Nintendo apparently hasn't realized in the last 30 years is that software pushes hardware sales, and when you have a lack of 3rd party support and your 1st party titles are usually 8-12 months apart you generally end up with a problem.
Since the Switch launched in March, we've had three first party titles - Zelda, Mario Kart and ARMS. Splatoon 2, a fourth first party title, launches this week. Super Mario Odyssey launches in November, which will mean the longest gap without a new Nintendo-made game this year is four months. This doesn't count everything else they're making either.

Of course, your inevitable rebuttal to this will involve third-party support. This area is already improving; all of 2K's newest sports titles, for example, will be feature on the Switch. Ultimately, it's a platform publishers won't be able to ignore.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
A company that utilizes air freight for what essentially amounted to emergency shipments is not attempting to restrict stock or lowball shipments.

Since the Switch launched in March, we've had three first party titles - Zelda, Mario Kart and ARMS. Splatoon 2, a fourth first party title, launches this week. Super Mario Odyssey launches in November, which will mean the longest gap without a new Nintendo-made game this year is four months. This doesn't count everything else they're making either.

Of course, your inevitable rebuttal to this will involve third-party support. This area is already improving; all of 2K's newest sports titles, for example, will be feature on the Switch. Ultimately, it's a platform publishers won't be able to ignore.
That's great Chimp, how many titles does Nintendo have coming out next year? 1? 0? Sports gamers aren't going to play sports games on the switch. It's just not going to happen sorry when they can get better controls with much higher fidelity and visuals on the other platforms. That actually could be pretty much said for 99.9% of cross platform titles. I doubt most of the big publishers care at this point. You'll never see a Destiny type of game on the switch with online play, you'll never see a Battlefield game, or anything of the sort, the platform isn't geared towards it. It's geared towards being a mobile platform with kidcentric themes.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
I wouldn't worry, everyone is going to have a Switch at some point.
lulz .
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
That's great Chimp, how many titles does Nintendo have coming out next year? 1? 0?
Right now, their first party lineup for next year involves Kirby, Yoshi and possibly Metroid Prime 4. I'm sure there's more on the way.

Quote:
Sports gamers aren't going to play sports games on the switch. It's just not going to happen sorry when they can get better controls with much higher fidelity and visuals on the other platforms. That actually could be pretty much said for 99.9% of cross platform titles.
Better controls? The Joy-cons are effectively normal controllers; when you plug them into the grip, it's about as close to a regular controller you can get without buying their Pro controller.

I also doubt you can legitimately speak for the millions of folks who buy sports titles annually. Sure, there would be plenty who would immediately opt for one of the other platforms..but, there also plenty who would opt for portability as well.

Quote:
I doubt most of the big publishers care at this point.
Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda and EA are already on board and either gearing up to support it or are already in the process of supporting it. They're moving too many units for publishers to ignore it...and they also don't have to worry about tacking on motion controls, as they did with the Wii.

Quote:
You'll never see a Destiny type of game on the switch with online play, you'll never see a Battlefield game, or anything of the sort, the platform isn't geared towards it.
No, we probably won't...but again, that's what the other platforms are for. As I've said countless times, I - and most of the other Switch owners, I'd wager - don't need it to provide something like Destiny or Battlefield. If I want that, I can use one of the plethora of devices I own.

Quote:
It's geared towards being a mobile platform with kidcentric themes.
You're just so dense.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Chinese Nantando Swatch != Official Nintendo Switch
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #17
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post

Nintendo is in many cases a second console. Just about everyone already has a bone and PS4. The 360/wii/PS3 showed us that if there is a good reasons, everyone will buy all the consoles. One good thing about never ending cell phone upgrades is people have been trained to not worry about spending money on electronics.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #18
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
You'll never see a Destiny type of game on the switch with online play, you'll never see a Battlefield game, or anything of the sort, the platform isn't geared towards it. It's geared towards being a mobile platform with kidcentric themes.

Not everyone is a 13 year old kid like you. Some people grow out of that stuff and are adult enough to appreciate a good game.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #19
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Not everyone is a 13 year old kid like you. Some people grow out of that stuff and are adult enough to appreciate a good game.
Those people don't own a switch.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Those people don't own a switch.

Tags
nintendo, nintendo switch, switch