18 Replies, 954 Views
Gamer's Shopping Guide -...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 12:06 PM
0 Replies, 296 Views

Old 09-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Tech Evolution: Mario Kart 25th Anniversary Special! 9 Games, 9 Consoles!

The Digital Foundry at Eurogamer examines 25 years of Mario Kart.

Quote:
25 years on from Super Mario Kart's 1992 release, we take a look at Nintendo's series through the generations. From its humble mode 7 beginnings on Super Nintendo, to its first forays in polygonal 3D on N64, right up to a native 1920x1080 push in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on Switch - the series has always challenged the hardware at hand.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
the series has always challenged the hardware at hand
Not difficult to do with Nintendo hardware!

#NDFTriggered!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Nintendo:creators of generation rehash before it was the in thing to do. 25 years and counting! ��
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
Rommel
International Playboy

I never cared for Mario Kart.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I never cared for Mario Kart.
I play for the finely tuned AI.

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Nintendo:creators of generation rehash before it was the in thing to do. 25 years and counting! ��
Exactly how many different ways do you think there are to sit on your fat ass a press a button?!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Exactly how many different ways do you think there are to sit on your fat ass a press a button?!
Which is why I think it's silly how much stuff gets bagged on for being a sequel or in some cases a remaster. It's as if it's completely alright for Nintendo to make the same game essentially cycle after cycle but shit a new Mass Effect or Destiny 2 all you hear is sequelitius or rehash. If it applies to every other dev, Sony, MS, Rare, Bungie who ever, it should apply to Ninty as well. You guys like to throw out how innovative Nintendo is all the time. It's true to some extent with their hardware in cases, it's generally not all that often with it's IP, and that's a shame.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:24 AM   #8
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Which is why I think it's silly how much stuff gets bagged on for being a sequel or in some cases a remaster. It's as if it's completely alright for Nintendo to make the same game essentially cycle after cycle but shit a new Mass Effect or Destiny 2 all you hear is sequelitius or rehash. If it applies to every other dev, Sony, MS, Rare, Bungie who ever, it should apply to Ninty as well. You guys like to throw out how innovative Nintendo is all the time. It's true to some extent with their hardware in cases, it's generally not all that often with it's IP, and that's a shame.
But Nintendo does get hammered on rehashing. They do listen though and that's why you have Zelda BOTW which is barely recognisable as a Zelda title as they reinvented the formula, something most dev's / publishers would never dare to do to a big franchise.

Mario Kart is one of the most critically and commercially successful franchises ever. Yes it's been rehashed but credit where it's due, Nintendo has done everything it can to keep it fresh (it's a racing game game ffs) and they only release one every 5 years or so.

Nintendo do not get a free pass, it's just that they really are the best in the business at what they do.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:49 AM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
But Nintendo does get hammered on rehashing. They do listen though and that's why you have Zelda BOTW which is barely recognisable as a Zelda title as they reinvented the formula, something most dev's / publishers would never dare to do to a big franchise.

Mario Kart is one of the most critically and commercially successful franchises ever. Yes it's been rehashed but credit where it's due, Nintendo has done everything it can to keep it fresh (it's a racing game game ffs) and they only release one every 5 years or so.

Nintendo do not get a free pass, it's just that they really are the best in the business at what they do.
And what they're best at is underpowered hardware, control gimmicks and rehashing the same IP decade after decade. Yep they're the best in the business at that, you are correct!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:19 AM   #10
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
And what they're best at is underpowered hardware, control gimmicks and rehashing the same IP decade after decade. Yep they're the best in the business at that, you are correct!
The universal acclaim for their latest releases would put your opinion within a tiny minority who think that way.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:

Look at these gimmicky controllers. They're so entirely different from the controllers being used by the other companies!

Yeah, they've been reusing the same few IPs for decades. They also typically (as in, not every single time; there will be exceptions) manage to get creative with their IPs when they release new games. Sure, they use the same cast of characters, but the individual games are quite different from each other while still maintaining enough consistency to make them recognizable and familiar. If you were to claim that Super Mario Galaxy was exactly like any other Mario game that came before it, you'd either be an idiot or a liar.

I don't know why I'm bothering to explain this to you yet again, though. It's just going to fall on deaf ears because your opinion on the matter will be unwavering, as usual.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post

Look at these gimmicky controllers. They're so entirely different from the controllers being used by the other companies!

Yeah, they've been reusing the same few IPs for decades. They also typically (as in, not every single time; there will be exceptions) manage to get creative with their IPs when they release new games. Sure, they use the same cast of characters, but the individual games are quite different from each other while still maintaining enough consistency to make them recognizable and familiar. If you were to claim that Super Mario Galaxy was exactly like any other Mario game that came before it, you'd either be an idiot or a liar.

I don't know why I'm bothering to explain this to you yet again, though. It's just going to fall on deaf ears because your opinion on the matter will be unwavering, as usual.
Yeah my Xbox controller totally splits apart so I can wave the motion controls around like a pleeb. Care to try that again?
Old 09-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Yeah my Xbox controller totally splits apart so I can wave the motion controls around like a pleeb. Care to try that again?
The primary function of the Joy-cons is to enable people to attach them to the Switch when it's not docked and use it like a handheld. It features motion controls...but most of the available games don't use them. They're designed to be conventional controllers first, with motion controls as an available option. If this wasn't the case, we wouldn't have the grips to turn 'em into a normal controller.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
The primary function of the Joy-cons is to enable people to attach them to the Switch when it's not docked and use it like a handheld. It features motion controls...but most of the available games don't use them. They're designed to be conventional controllers first, with motion controls as an available option. If this wasn't the case, we wouldn't have the grips to turn 'em into a normal controller.
Never mind the fact they could have just made a regular controller and have been done with it. Hell they could have made an actual console rather than the hybrid mess they created and been done with it.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Never mind the fact they could have just made a regular controller and have been done with it.
They did. Its the pro controller.

The removable Joy-cons enable the pack-in controller to be used both as a traditional controller and as a controller attached directly to the console when used in handheld mode. It can also be used separately when the console isn't docked, as well.

It's the most versatile solution, given the design of the console.

Quote:
Hell they could have made an actual console rather than the hybrid mess they created and been done with it.
Sure, they could have designed another box that looks and acts just like the other two boxes currently on the market. They opted to make something a little different and it seems to have caught on quite well within the market and industry.

It's far from a mess; it works quite well.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
They did. Its the pro controller.

The removable Joy-cons enable the pack-in controller to be used both as a traditional controller and as a controller attached directly to the console when used in handheld mode. It can also be used separately when the console isn't docked, as well.

It's the most versatile solution, given the design of the console.

Sure, they could have designed another box that looks and acts just like the other two boxes currently on the market. They opted to make something a little different and it seems to have caught on quite well within the market and industry.

It's far from a mess; it works quite well.
Yeah it's caught on so well that the only people who give a shit about the thing are Nintendo hardcore. Well done I suppose.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

Tech Evolution: Mario Kart is an ironic examination, considering if actual evolution took as long as Nintendo to push hardware technology forward we'd still be crawling around on all fours or swinging from trees. Do I exaggerate? Sure, but not by much!

#NDFTriggered!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Yeah it's caught on so well that the only people who give a shit about the thing are Nintendo hardcore. Well done I suppose.
Yup, it's just the hardcore that want the thing.

Keep on believing what you want to, though. Don't let facts and reality hold you back!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #19
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Dude listen for a minute.

Those two piece controllers are very nice for super lazy gaming. Both hand down, motionless. Its actually pretty good lol.

Also, there are lots of motion sensors in there that work great. And HD rumble!!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #20
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yup, it's just the hardcore that want the thing.

Keep on believing what you want to, though. Don't let facts and reality hold you back!
The Switch and its variants are going to sell in DS/Wii numbers. Its going to have all the big hitters on it soon.

Tags
mario kart, nintendo