9 Replies, 452 Views
Metal Gear Survive...
Last post by bub64882
Yesterday 05:20 PM
16 Replies, 849 Views

Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #21
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Is it usually 2 years post launch that all the big 3rd party companies abandon a popular Nintendo console? Just curious since this cycle looks like the Wii at the moment support wise. 3rd party is surprised people are actually buying them, port a bunch of stuff to it to take advantage of lack of software. Does ok, then only Nintendo titles really sell now that there are a decent amount of them, 3rd party moves on.

I have seen switches on store shelves constantly for months now, it is not like it is difficult to pick up.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #22
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Is it usually 2 years post launch that all the big 3rd party companies abandon a popular Nintendo console? Just curious since this cycle looks like the Wii at the moment support wise. 3rd party is surprised people are actually buying them, port a bunch of stuff to it to take advantage of lack of software. Does ok, then only Nintendo titles really sell now that there are a decent amount of them, 3rd party moves on.

I have seen switches on store shelves constantly for months now, it is not like it is difficult to pick up.
The Wii's third-party support dropped off because of a number of factors. It was essentially a glorified Gamecube, which made porting games difficult. When this was coupled with the motion controls (and the ludicrous notion that absolutely every game needed them) meant that it got a lot of crap and shovelware. When this inevitably failed to sell when compared to Nintendo's offerings, third-party support dropped off...and everyone cited the success of the first-party software as the reason - despite the fact that it was the quality of the third-party software that did most of the damage.

The Wii U had it's struggles mainly because of the slow sales; with comparatively fewer consoles out there than the offerings from Microsoft and Sony, it just didn't make sense to spend the money from a third-party standpoint.

The Switch is unique, in that its powerful enough to handle most ports with some ingenuity, it has standard controllers and its selling extremely well. Developers don't have to worry about motion controls (if they don't want to), touch screens (if they don't want to) and two screens...so they don't have to put in as much extra effort as before. When you don't have new paradigms to work with, it's much easier to get companies on board and producing software.

With all of that being said...we're still only seven months into the Switch's life cycle. There's absolutely no way to know what is going to happen with third-party support by the time we hit Year 2 and beyond. Right now, things are looking pretty positive and companies are jumping on board quite rapidly.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #23
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Imagine that, it's not dramatically cheap than, say...the PS4 at $381. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Xbox One was - which was estimated to be $471...but, that's because of things like the Kinect and the external power supply. When you remove that factor, it cost around $100 less to build than the other two major consoles (prior to their refreshes, of course). In other words, it's not a huge difference.

You're acting like the other two manufacturers don't build these things as cheaply as possible in order to maximize profits. The fact that Nintendo is only making less than $42 in profit per Switch sold (remember, the MSRP is not what retailers would have purchased these for; it's what they sell them for) is actually pretty surprising.

I can tell you think you dropped some sort of major truth bomb on us...but considering the MSRP of the thing was $299, everyone assumed the build cost came in somewhere under $299. The fact that it costs less than $299 to build (in terms of straight components) isn't surprising in the least.
Obviously they all want to spend the least amount. It's called being a business. The "truth bomb" if you want to call it that, is just how cheap this pos is to make. Considering how low end Nintendo's tablet is, without actual tablet functionality, shouldn't shock anyone.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #24
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Obviously they all want to spend the least amount. It's called being a business. The "truth bomb" if you want to call it that, is just how cheap this pos is to make. Considering how low end Nintendo's tablet is, without actual tablet functionality, shouldn't shock anyone.
It's around $100 cheaper than the current consoles on the market and likely a similar price as the current crop of tablets. The tablet "functionality" you keep crowing about would be purely a software - not hardware - matter.

That $100 gap doesn't really mean much.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #25
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's around $100 cheaper than the current consoles on the market and likely a similar price as the current crop of tablets. The tablet "functionality" you keep crowing about would be purely a software - not hardware - matter.

That $100 gap doesn't really mean much.
Exactly it'd need to be patched, so where is it? And you're not getting my point. Sony is spending 100 dollars more for vastly superior visuals, same with MS. It just goes to show how fucking cheap Nintendo is that they simply refuse to even match specs of the other two when reality says they clearly could.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #26
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Exactly it'd need to be patched, so where is it? And you're not getting my point. Sony is spending 100 dollars more for vastly superior visuals, same with MS. It just goes to show how fucking cheap Nintendo is that they simply refuse to even match specs of the other two when reality says they clearly could.
It's not a matter of "patching" anything; it's simply a matter of publishing some apps.

If you show me mobile components that would allow Nintendo to produce a competitively-priced device that maintains the portability of the Switch while also effectively mitigating heat in a handheld form factor, then I'll begin to buy into what you're spouting.

Until you realize that the Switch isn't trying to fill the niche currently filled by the Xbox and Playstation, you'll continue to miss the point entirely.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #27
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
You'd hope so with the 257 dollars it cost to produce a unit.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/5/151...-cost-estimate
Bruh, we printing money on all fronts...

Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #28
Terran
Evil Dead

Printing money is illegal unless you're the government. NINTENDO EXECS FACE JAIL TIME!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #29
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
Bruh, we printing money on all fronts...

This. Nintendo pulling in bank with its PS2 grafx, rehashes and remasters.

Spectral BTFO'd

Spec, its all about gameplay mechanics.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #30
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Gameplay is banned on gaming sites. It's interaction now. #GameJournalism
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #31
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I have and will continue to use Gameplay in my reviews!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #32
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Gameplay is banned on gaming sites. It's interaction now. #GameJournalism
Yeah, interactions that are more and more SJW approved. As a straight white conservative male. (THE MOST POWERFUL GENRE OF HUMAN EVER CONCEIVED!!) These games have nothing for me. If Spectral likes it though, who i am to judge. To each his own.

Witcher 3. That's a game though.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:50 AM   #33
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Sony is spending 100 dollars more for vastly superior visuals, same with MS.
Oooh, someone testifying- can you please point me to where the vastly superior visual XBox One games are? I have two of them here, that statement looks utterly laughable based on what I've got in my library. Yeah, I've seen GT:S- I can give you the PS4- but most of the games in my library have the Bone coming up absurdly short of vastly superior.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:57 AM   #34
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
You'd hope so with the 257 dollars it cost to produce a unit.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/5/151...-cost-estimate
You don't even have a point you're trying to make, instead now you are throwing vague negativity at any Nintendo story. Basically you're just acting like a cunt...which is what you are.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:29 AM   #35
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
Yeah, I've seen GT:S- I can give you the PS4- but most of the games in my library have the Bone coming up absurdly short of vastly superior.
Your right about that. But omg is GT-S pretty. I just ordered a PS4 Pro just because. Destiny 2 Bundle. I know its not needed but i did anyway.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #36
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Yeah, interactions that are more and more SJW approved. As a straight white conservative male. (THE MOST POWERFUL GENRE OF HUMAN EVER CONCEIVED!!) These games have nothing for me. If Spectral likes it though, who i am to judge. To each his own.

Witcher 3. That's a game though.
As if Nintendo's staff isn't full of SJW douchebags. It's too easy black, you truly do make some fucking baffling statements.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #37
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
You don't even have a point you're trying to make, instead now you are throwing vague negativity at any Nintendo story. Basically you're just acting like a cunt...which is what you are.
My point is Nintendo is cheap. That should be obvious by now. Apparently you need the paint by numbers edition being too stupid to figure that out for yourself.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:18 AM   #38
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
My point is Nintendo is cheap. That should be obvious by now. Apparently you need the paint by numbers edition being too stupid to figure that out for yourself.
Your 'point' is extremely vague, nonsensical and constantly changing. Just a few weeks ago you were claiming that Switch wasn't selling and was a flop, when that became impossible to continue with, you changed to Nintendo were restricting supply (for reasons never fully explained) then when that was shown to be bullshit you've now changed to Nintendo are not putting desktop style hardware into a hybrid console is somehow cheap (with cheap obviously being defined in an utterly arbitrary manner by you) despite you yourself posting in this very thread that they are only making $50 per unit after costs.

And throughout all of the above bullshit you constantly refer to people as 'progressive' if they do not agree with you. It's all very bizarre and i genuinely think you could be mentally ill...or a massive cunt...or both. Yeah probably both.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #39
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
As if Nintendo's staff isn't full of SJW douchebags. It's too easy black, you truly do make some fucking baffling statements.
You mean the rank and file kiddie touchers at NOA? The PR losers who have a job because they look good in hipster gear. Yeh, they are there for looks. When that fad is over, they are gone. I look for NOA to start hiring actual adults at some point.

NOJ (you know, the ones who make all the decisions and develop every single game) are based as fuck.
Reggie is cool.
Bill Trinen is cool.

You really need to start remembering ive been into video games and its inside workings heavily for 30 fucking years. NOA's gay hipster problem is nothing new, and i like how you sit there and act like i didn't even know about it even though ive bitched about numerous times, and then throw it out as some big gotcha.

Face it. You picked the wrong team. Your a right winger who plays SJW video games and have turned your back on right wing conservative nintendo, the ones who respect you. Come home Spectral, buy a Switch, play BOTW. Reclaim your youth, your imagination, the honesty, the innocence. Leave the cultural marxism behind.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #40
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
My point is Nintendo is cheap.
Who isn't in the console space? Sony and Microsoft are using an antiquated wannabe cellphone CPU paired with a POS integrated GPU. At least with Nintendo we can say 'hands down most powerful fully portable'.

I guess for me it's like this- if you want to argue graphics, my PC shits all over any of the consoles. That's just a fact, and the gap is growing. I'm not an everyone gets a trophy kind of guy- they are all losers on that front- so why bother having them? Sony's got some great exclusives, Nintendo has some great exclusives, and MS has a 4K BRD that they actually finally went and made worth while a couple of months ago. Arguing graphics between the consoles?

Hey man, if you are into that everyone gets a trophy shit, all the power to you. I'd rather group all the helmet heads together and leave it nice and simple.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo, switch