Last post by JazGalaxy
Today 01:20 PM
2 Replies, 190 Views

Old 10-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #21
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
They should make a more powerful Switch. Like they did with the 3DS.
What for?

Old 10-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #22
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
They should make a more powerful Switch. Like they did with the 3DS.
This is tough to do... cuz you will start having problems with heat and battery life.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #23
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
What for?
My guess so you could do 1080p/60Hz in portable instead of 720/60Hz. This way there is parity between docked and undocked.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #24
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
Let me preface by saying that I genuinely like Nintendo games.

Nintendo has knocked shit out of the park this year. I'm not saying they aren't without faults (3rd party... sales... production...), but it seems that with the Switch, they are back on track with their greatest feature: Nintendo makes fun games.

I've been excited for months to play Super Mario Odyssey & by the sound of it, it's right up there with the rest of the 'great' Mario games.

There is something almost timeless about Mario... maybe it's because I was a kid & liked playing & the gaming elements of the franchise have stayed relevant... I don't know.

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong about anything. I find that builds character. That said... I do believe that if you didn't enjoy playing Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine... you are akin to a person who would say 'Pink Floyd music sucks'. You may not know enough to know what you don't know. I realize that impressions of games are subject to opinion... but every goodamn one of us was a child at one point. When you were a kid, you probably would have liked Super Mario Whatever Surprise. Play the game & have fun with it, then put your armor back on.

The EVAV user WittyNickName is my hero. He plays EVERYTHING no matter what genre.

And what Patrick said...

This year has been just awesome for gaming. SO many great games this year - great time to be a gamer.

I have to give Divinity another shot - it didn't click the first go.

I feel like this misses the fact that people play games for different reasons.

It's something of a myth that the games industry has grown. When an industry grows, arguably, more people like what that industry is offering. This is totally different than an industry changing to incorporate more offerings that pull in a wider number of people.

If the coffee industry grows, it sounds like more people are drinking coffee. But if the coffee industry grows because Starbucks starts selling milkshakes, tea, sodas, entrees and ice cream, then it's not REALLY the "coffee" industry that has grown.

The games industry has grown by attracting large numbers of people who don't actually like "video games". There are now people who play games because they think it's "cute", because they like violence, because they feel they can express themselves artistically in them, because it gives them an identity, because they like the nerd culture, etc.

A person who plays games because they like the ethos of the indie games scene isn't necessarily going to like Mario no matter how good it is. There are no politics in Mario. There is no social manifesto in Mario. There is no commentary on the human experience in Mario. So they legitimately may have no interest.

I personally don't respect any of those reasons for being into games. But those people probably don't respect any of the reasons I play games. (Which is almost EXCLUSIVELY to challenge my mental abilities and hand eye coordination.)
JazGalaxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #25
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
My guess so you could do 1080p/60Hz in portable instead of 720/60Hz. This way there is parity between docked and undocked.
Exactly.

I understand heat and battery. I am not saying push it out this year, I just mean in a few years.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #26
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I feel like this misses the fact that people play games for different reasons.

It's something of a myth that the games industry has grown. When an industry grows, arguably, more people like what that industry is offering. This is totally different than an industry changing to incorporate more offerings that pull in a wider number of people.

If the coffee industry grows, it sounds like more people are drinking coffee. But if the coffee industry grows because Starbucks starts selling milkshakes, tea, sodas, entrees and ice cream, then it's not REALLY the "coffee" industry that has grown.

The games industry has grown by attracting large numbers of people who don't actually like "video games". There are now people who play games because they think it's "cute", because they like violence, because they feel they can express themselves artistically in them, because it gives them an identity, because they like the nerd culture, etc.

A person who plays games because they like the ethos of the indie games scene isn't necessarily going to like Mario no matter how good it is. There are no politics in Mario. There is no social manifesto in Mario. There is no commentary on the human experience in Mario. So they legitimately may have no interest.

I personally don't respect any of those reasons for being into games. But those people probably don't respect any of the reasons I play games. (Which is almost EXCLUSIVELY to challenge my mental abilities and hand eye coordination.)
Maybe you are right.

I came into playing video games when I was very young (about 1980). For me, it was about the excitement of playing something interactive on a computer screen or TV. Nowadays, it's more about the experience whatever game is presenting. I find I play fewer action-style games & more 'systems that mange things' type games (Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Grand RPGs... etc). I think those of us who have been gaming for a long time will always have our attachments to titles that we really enjoyed.

Your post was pretty well written & I appreciate your opinion. Times are changing... I'm certain there are folks who will look at something like this that is 'widely recognized' as a masterpiece in software entertainment and say to them selves 'meh... just doesn't suit me'. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It takes an appreciative mind to look at something you don't care for & say 'This isn't for me, but I can recognize why others are attracted to it'.

Either way, the market is much more diverse than it ever has been and the Glory Days are now.

I always like to come back to the ol FPS moniker 'Good luck and have fun'. I think ultimately, that's the most important thing.

Very excited to play Mario tomorrow. I hope those of you who aren't, have something similar that you enjoy.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #27
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

Or how about playing games for the sake of liking games and having fun? No politics or other factors needed. The reason I won't touch a mario title is platformers suck, they always have and always will. A game based around jumping puzzles, who the fuck thought that was a great idea and why anyone in their right mind would still enjoy that type of gameplay when the technology is no longer limited to that sort of title?

Granted others like platformers and that's fine. It has shit all to do with politics or any silly shit like that. Why do those on the left need to inject that SJW shit into every facet of life?
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #28
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
Maybe you are right.
Your post was pretty well written & I appreciate your opinion.
I'm fairly certain this was the first time anyone posted those exact words on the Internet.

Are we nearing Armageddon?
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #29
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Or how about playing games for the sake of liking games and having fun? No politics or other factors needed. The reason I won't touch a mario title is platformers suck, they always have and always will. A game based around jumping puzzles, who the fuck thought that was a great idea and why anyone in their right mind would still enjoy that type of gameplay when the technology is no longer limited to that sort of title?

Granted others like platformers and that's fine. It has shit all to do with politics or any silly shit like that. Why do those on the left need to inject that SJW shit into every facet of life?
You are disgusting as always.

"Or how about playing games for the sake of liking games and having fun? No politics or other factors needed."

"Fun" is entirely subjective and arbitrary. While you are an idiot, you're not mentally deficient. You KNOW this.

What you think is fun, other people do not think is fun.

Why is navigating a course of obstacles fun? I don't know. Let's ask the hundreds of millions of people who have found it fun throughout the course of human existence.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #30
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I'm fairly certain this was the first time anyone posted those exact words on the Internet.

Are we nearing Armageddon?
Old 10-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #31
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

"Or how about playing games for the sake of liking games and having fun? No politics or other factors needed."

"Fun" is entirely subjective and arbitrary. While you are an idiot, you're not mentally deficient. You KNOW this.

What you think is fun, other people do not think is fun.

Why is navigating a course of obstacles fun? I don't know. Let's ask the hundreds of millions of people who have found it fun throughout the course of human existence.
LOL why play games at all then? as a mental challenge? Good God you pretentious piece of shit.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #32
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
LOL why play games at all then? as a mental challenge? Good God you pretentious piece of shit.
What the hell are you talking about? ARE you actually mentally deficient?

You said "how about playing games for fun?"

This is a stupid statement because EVERYONE plays games for fun.

The point is that you claim to be the sole decider of what is and is not "fun". I don't believe you are so stupid as to actually believe this. SO instead you are claiming that YOU know what's fun and that everyone who doesn't agree with you is simply beneath you.

People who play games because they think the characters are cute or because they like the story? They are playing them because they are "fun". That, to THEM, is fun.

People who play games for challenge? That, TO THEM, is fun.

So you're not bringing up some radical position by saying "how about playing games for fun". That's like saying, "How about eating food because you like the tastes?!" Obviously people already do that. But what tastes they like are personal, subjective, and arbitrary.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #33
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? ARE you actually mentally deficient?

You said "how about playing games for fun?"

This is a stupid statement because EVERYONE plays games for fun.

The point is that you claim to be the sole decider of what is and is not "fun". I don't believe you are so stupid as to actually believe this. SO instead you are claiming that YOU know what's fun and that everyone who doesn't agree with you is simply beneath you.

People who play games because they think the characters are cute or because they like the story? They are playing them because they are "fun". That, to THEM, is fun.

People who play games for challenge? That, TO THEM, is fun.

So you're not bringing up some radical position by saying "how about playing games for fun". That's like saying, "How about eating food because you like the tastes?!" Obviously people already do that. But what tastes they like are personal, subjective, and arbitrary.
Yet I constantly say it's perfectly fine to like things I don't. That's how the internet works. Good God you're fragile.

Captain Obvious strikes again. Never did I say liking a challenge couldn't be fun.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #34
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Yet I constantly say it's perfectly fine to like things I don't. That's how the internet works.
You also like to openly mock people for playing games you don't like or deem insufficiently "mature". Let's not pretend you're actually open-minded.

This is pretty rich, coming from you.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #35
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
You also like to openly mock people for playing games you don't like or deem insufficiently "mature". Let's not pretend you're actually open-minded.

This is pretty rich, coming from you.
Again that's how the internet works snowflake. It's called having an opinion different from the hive mind. Suck it up buttercup.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #36
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Aaaaaaand we're back.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #37
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Again that's how the internet works snowflake. It's called having an opinion different from the hive mind. Suck it up buttercup.
No, that's not having an opinion. What you're doing is having a largely uninformed opinion while being a gaping, leaking asshole about it.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #38
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
No, that's not having an opinion. What you're doing is having a largely uninformed opinion while being a gaping, leaking asshole about it.
That pretty much sounds like the Internet to me. [shrugs]
Old 10-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #39
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
My disliking platformers is "uninformed?" Holy shitballs batman. That's an opinion, I don't like platformers, I don't do games primarily aimed at kids. Next you'll be telling me BOTW is rated M for Mature.

I've flat out said I dislke what Nintendo does, so I'm not sure why you're shocked by it. No one forces you to read someone's posts. Yet every single time your panties get all tied up in a bunch that someone doesn't like what you do. Boo hoo you special fucking flower. Don't you have some Islamic Extremists to go defend somewhere?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #40
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
My disliking platformers is "uninformed?" Holy shitballs batman. That's an opinion, I don't like platformers, I don't do games primarily aimed at kids. Next you'll be telling me BOTW is rated M for Mature.
Clearly, I'm referencing all of the times you just make shit up and pretend it's a fact or legitimate opinion.

Quote:
I've flat out said I dislke what Nintendo does, so I'm not sure why you're shocked by it.
What shocks me is that you still insist on cropping up in virtually every single Nintendo thread to voice your disdain. The fact that you don't care for them isn't a big deal.

Quote:
No one forces you to read someone's posts. Yet every single time your panties get all tied up in a bunch that someone doesn't like what you do.
Amazingly enough, no one forces you to read these threads or reply! Yet, here you are.

Quote:
Boo hoo you special fucking flower. Don't you have some Islamic Extremists to go defend somewhere?
That would mean something if I had, y'know...done that. But, I suppose you do like making shit up...

Tags
mario, nintendo, super mario, super mario odyssey, switch