Last post by Chimpbot
Today 05:17 AM
23 Replies, 1,371 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Cliff Bleszinski On LawBreakers: "I Have To Keep This Game Alive"

Cliffy B said he wants to be "less of a dick" to people online. GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Cliff Bleszinski knows the player figures for LawBreakers right now are low. But he isn't losing faith. Games can be slow-burners--just look at Warframe as an example--and developer Boss Key has big plans to get lapsed players to return and bring in new ones. In an interview with GameSpot this week, Bleszinski spoke frankly about LawBreakers. He told us he's been humbled by the low player figures; he talked about the mistakes he made in the direction of the game. He said launching near "Destiny season" probably didn't help. And he said he wants to be "less of a dick" with his interactions with people online.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

What a dick!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Meusli
Subscriber

Ha HA HA HA hAh AHah ahH HAHA. lol.
Meusli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Nothing quite as humbling as failure. You don't get a second chance at a first impression, either.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I'm going to DL Lawbreakers and give it a shot. An apology, if this isnone, goes a long way.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I suspect that the reason Lawbreakers is a failure is because the entire idea is flawed. What is the worst part of a FPS? Jumping puzzles. He created an entire multiplayer game around the idea of jumping.

You took the part of the game people hated the most and made it the centerpiece of your multiplayer game.

How on earth did they not think that would be a failure?

The average quality art didn't help at all either.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
What is the worst part of a FPS? Jumping puzzles. He created an entire multiplayer game around the idea of jumping.
I cannot stand shooters that incorporate platforming. Even the Half-Life series had this kind of shit. Drives me absolutely bonkers.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
VideoMike101
Lord

I hate CliffyB more than most but I've seen and experienced very intense gameplay using bunny hopping and side staffing in first person shooters. Surf maps are very popular in Counterstrike, for instance. But my point is, I like jumping mechanics in FPS, I just don't like pay2win or CliffyB.
VideoMike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoMike101 View Post
I hate CliffyB more than most but I've seen and experienced very intense gameplay using bunny hopping and side staffing in first person shooters. Surf maps are very popular in Counterstrike, for instance. But my point is, I like jumping mechanics in FPS, I just don't like pay2win or CliffyB.
I get the idea that a small portion of people like it. Some people liked the Translocator in Unreal Tournament, I thought it was a weenie tool that people used to bunny hop before bunny hopping was a thing. But, that isn't the way most people want to play shooters and they designed an entire game around the parts of a shooter that most people don't like and the bulk of gamers have intense hatred for.

That was doomed from the start and anyone could have told them that. In fact, I did tell CliffyB that and he blocked me on twitter for it. He can't listen to any idea that isn't his own and this time it cost him big time, both in reputation as a developer and in cash out of his own pocket.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
He said launching near "Destiny season" probably didn't help.
It's okay Cliffy, I mean how could anyone have seen that coming.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
It's okay Cliffy, I mean how could anyone have seen that coming.
It launched months ago, Destiny had nothing to do with their sales.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
It launched months ago, Destiny had nothing to do with their sales.
I was uncertain myself because of the beta and had to look it up and it actually had only been out about a month (launched August 8) when Destiny 2 launched. That being said the game just never looked like it would amount to anything and people probably were more willing to buy a sequel to a game they already know and not a F2P game gone full retail product. And the fact he had to blame someone else's game for his game's failure really speaks volumes, since I'm certain there's more than enough players to support both games if his game was any good.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Hopefully this humbles him enough that his next game is Jazz Jackrabbit HD for the Switch.

Seriously though, Lawbreakers has ZERO advertising and not putting it on console right away was also a serious mistake. Millions of people just don't pay attention to new PC games anymore.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:18 PM   #14
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Hearing it's a good game that fell through the cracks. Was never really interested myself, and maybe it's part of the problem. Old timers don't care about the new stuff and the kiddies already have Overwatch and whatever else is hot now.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #15
defiant
Evil Dead

Quote:
I suspect that the reason Lawbreakers is a failure is because the entire idea is flawed. What is the worst part of a FPS? Jumping puzzles. He created an entire multiplayer game around the idea of jumping.

You took the part of the game people hated the most and made it the centerpiece of your multiplayer game.

How on earth did they not think that would be a failure?

The average quality art didn't help at all either.
Its a throw back to the anti-gravity levels of Unreal Tournament which were very much loved at the time. Based on what I played of LawBreakers, I didn't see anything resembling annoying insta-death precision jumping puzzles, which is what you seem to be alluding to.

The bigger problems for this game are that, (a) Bleszinski has been a giant douche nozzle up until this point and alienated just about the entire potential fan base; (b) the market for class based online games is becoming saturated (c) apart from the anti-grav elements, there is nothing truly innovative about it.

It reviewed well with consistently high scores, so it may be possible for it to be rescued from the brink.
defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #16
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Platforming in an FPS can be done well. Just look at Metroid Prime.

I actually like platforming in FPS's. Overwatch, may it burn in hell, has some really great platforming.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #17
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Seriously though, Lawbreakers has ZERO advertising and not putting it on console right away was also a serious mistake. Millions of people just don't pay attention to new PC games anymore.
A hot game doesn't need any of those. Look at something like Playerunknown's Battlegrounds or Minecraft. A community will create itself as long as what you create is compelling enough to warrant continued discussions, streaming, and YouTube videos that bring in even more players.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #18
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

Flying heavy game with focus on hitscan -- I think this is problematic. There are too few players that are good at tracking flying enemies. And the others don't like getting stomped by those that are good at it. The best approach for flying heavy fps is high inertia, rocket launcher based dueling. See also Tribes 1. Admittedly, still a niche audience compared to a ground only fps. I don't know how LB recovers, regardless of how well the mechanics are implemented
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #19
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
Flying heavy game with focus on hitscan -- I think this is problematic. There are too few players that are good at tracking flying enemies. And the others don't like getting stomped by those that are good at it. The best approach for flying heavy fps is high inertia, rocket launcher based dueling. See also Tribes 1. Admittedly, still a niche audience compared to a ground only fps. I don't know how LB recovers, regardless of how well the mechanics are implemented
So you think there ARE some good parts to be saved then? (Good game mechanics)
Old 09-16-2017, 11:47 PM   #20
UnderHero5
Evil Dead

It just looks like an unappealing, boring FPS to me. The anti-gravity gimmick does nothing for me, and the graphics style is generic as fuck. Nothing about it stands out as something I'd want to play. The maps also looked too small. I want stuff like Tribes again, not these little tiny cluster-fuck maps.

Tags
boss key, cliffy b, lawbreakers