Today 12:05 PM
2 Replies, 414 Views

Old 11-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Grand Theft Auto V is the Best-Selling Game of All Time in the US

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
Another day, another Grand Theft Auto 5 sales milestone. But this one's a biggie: GTA5 is now the best-selling game of all time in the US.

Rockstar's open world has sold more copies and earned more money from sales than any other game, ever, across the pond.

Parent company Take-Two reported another strong set of financial results today, on the back of GTA5's success.

Next year, Take-Two will oversee the launch of both Rockstar's next big open world game Red Dead Redemption 2 and "a highly anticipated new title from one of 2K's biggest franchises" (AKA Borderlands 3).

In an echo of Ubisoft's comments from its overnight financial call, Take-Two was also celebrating what is called "recurrent consumer spending", in other words, "virtual currency, add-on content and microtransactions".
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I really do think GTA V is the best one they ever made. I didn't really think they had much left to do with the series... but the location of LA, the characters, the gameplay was all really polished and super fun.

Now... do another Vice City baby!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
blackzc
Evil Dead

GTA has always been a love hate with me. I like the technical aspects but the games leave me feeling kinda nasty after i play them. Like i just watched a Tarantino movie, so i dont play them to often.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

I'm really worried Borderlands 3 will be infested with micro transactions. I don't mind character or skin packs, I even bought a few for Borderlands 2, but definitely nothing surrounding actual loot.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #5
magicka
Death Knight

That Lindsay Lohan sells games
magicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:01 AM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
GTA has always been a love hate with me. I like the technical aspects but the games leave me feeling kinda nasty after i play them. Like i just watched a Tarantino movie, so i dont play them to often.
Im in a similar boat. I unapologetically love GTA. But the game is so utterly massive that what one person loves about it can be diametrically opposed to what another person loves about it. For instance, I loved the Flight School missions that were basically a fully cooked version of Pilotwings right inside the game. But I DONT like a lot of the story missions that require you to, say, torture people.

I was especially let down by the garbage-level story composed of amazingly written scenes that donít connect to one another at all and have absolutely no pay off. The story literally goes nowhere until the final mission where yo can pick any resolution you want.

Iíd like them to make the next game allow you to choose what you will and wonít do instead of forcing you to be a scumbag. As well produced as they are, none of their stories have ever been any good.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:02 AM   #7
VideoMike101
Lord

Gta online is the shit.
VideoMike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:03 AM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Im in a similar boat. I unapologetically love GTA. But the game is so utterly massive that what one person loves about it can be diametrically opposed to what another person loves about it. For instance, I loved the Flight School missions that were basically a fully cooked version of Pilotwings right inside the game. But I DONT like a lot of the story missions that require you to, say, torture people.

I was especially let down by the garbage-level story composed of amazingly written scenes that donít connect to one another at all and have absolutely no pay off. The story literally goes nowhere until the final mission where yo can pick any resolution you want.

Iíd like them to make the next game allow you to choose what you will and wonít do instead of forcing you to be a scumbag. As well produced as they are, none of their stories have ever been any good.
One mission has you torture a guy, one single mission in the whole entire 30-40 missions or whatever the fuck the story mode has for missions. Get over it already snowflake. The title of the series is Grand Theft Auto for fucks sakes.

Maybe they can make the next one have My Little Pony's or some shit for you over sensitive professional crybabies.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:50 AM   #9
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

That's rather harsh. I agree with him the story was garbage and the torture mission was just bizarre.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:07 AM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
One mission has you torture a guy, one single mission in the whole entire 30-40 missions or whatever the fuck the story mode has for missions. Get over it already snowflake. The title of the series is Grand Theft Auto for fucks sakes.

Maybe they can make the next one have My Little Pony's or some shit for you over sensitive professional crybabies.
I love it. "It's called GRAND THEFT AUTO! Of COURSE there's going to be torture in it!"

I need a pull string doll that's just full of your stupid quotes.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:19 AM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I love it. "It's called GRAND THEFT AUTO! Of COURSE there's going to be torture in it!"

I need a pull string doll that's just full of your stupid quotes.
Dude come on, it's a GTA game, does anyone go into an GTA game at this point 5 iterations in, not expecting over the top violence? This is a game that has had everything from sex with hookers, drug use, and everything in between. Shit like that should be pretty much expected at this point. Never mind that you give the victim a ride to the airport after and set him free pretty much. Rockstar did that mission on purpose just to get a rise out of SJW's like yourself anyway.

Stick to starfox next time, cute cartoon animals seems more your cup of tea anyway.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 AM   #12
LostToys
Evil Dead

I didn't like the torture because it just took too damned long. It was entirely scripted, so there was no way to take shortcuts or to use only one set of tools to get the information you needed. It really lost all of its impact when you realized you had to water board, electric and pull teeth to get the information you needed to snipe the guy at the party.

Making the torture shorter would have made it more impactful, in my opinion. It would be like if No Russian had you getting away in the vehicle, fighting some cops as you drive away, shooting up a mall, then finally ending with you being betrayed by your comrades. It worked because it lasted an appropriate amount of time.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:55 AM   #13
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Dude come on, it's a GTA game, does anyone go into an GTA game at this point 5 iterations in, not expecting over the top violence? This is a game that has had everything from sex with hookers, drug use, and everything in between. Shit like that should be pretty much expected at this point. Never mind that you give the victim a ride to the airport after and set him free pretty much. Rockstar did that mission on purpose just to get a rise out of SJW's like yourself anyway.

Stick to starfox next time, cute cartoon animals seems more your cup of tea anyway.
Much like a broken clock, Spectral is occasionally right.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #14
shadow763
Lord of Woe

GTA games are overall boring to me. They do keep progressing as far as world building and story telling, but I haven't been able to finish a single one. I just get sick of the missions. But apparently I am in the minority.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #15
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
GTA games are overall boring to me. They do keep progressing as far as world building and story telling, but I haven't been able to finish a single one. I just get sick of the missions. But apparently I am in the minority.
same here... Never finished a single one...
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
same here... Never finished a single one...
I've never finished one, either. Hell, most of the time I put into GTAV was just fucking around, getting into as much trouble as possible; it became more of a "I only have a half-hour to play...so, let's steal a bus and drive it into the ocean" sort of game than anything else.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #17
Meeks
Subscriber

I always get too bored to complete the campaigns in these games. It's like a suite of mini-games in this big, beautiful interactive world. But none of them really has any long-term appeal. Don't get me wrong, I think they're masterworks and cutting-edge in every way. Just, despite being much more primitive, in many ways I prefer GTA 1 & 2. They were lots of fun and didn't try to be everything to everyone.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
Apex
Developer

Id love to see the next GTA have something like Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system in it.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #19
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
You're actually in the vast majority. Less than 30 percent of the people who play GTA actually complete them. Usually it's in the twenties.

I've completed all of the one's I've played. They are some of the hardest games I've ever played, aside from V. IV especially. The final mission i nthat game goes beyond hard and ventures inot "stupid" territory.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #20
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I've never finished one, either. Hell, most of the time I put into GTAV was just fucking around, getting into as much trouble as possible; it became more of a "I only have a half-hour to play...so, let's steal a bus and drive it into the ocean" sort of game than anything else.
I feel like GTA V was the worst at that. Seeing how much trouble you could get into and then get yourself out was much more fun in GTA 3, in my opinion. I didn't quite realize it unitl I played Saint's Row, which never really moved on from copying GTA3's gameplay.

Tags
grand theft auto v, rockstar games, take-two interactive