Metal Gear Survive...
Last post by bub64882
Yesterday 05:20 PM
16 Replies, 849 Views

Old 11-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #21
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

NFS payback's reward system

Totally not gambling, just an honest reward system, gamers overreact to everything...
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #22
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
That was my point. Even if they had left the point totals where they were, I would have earned enough credits in 2 days of game time to almost earn the most expensive character in the game - Vader at 60,000 points. With the reduced point totals, it is true that points have literally no point. You can unlock any star cards you want by crafting them and in no time at all you will have all the characters unlocked.
...No, not really. The prices were reduced by 75%...which means it would have taken you longer to earn enough for those characters without that reduction.

Quote:
EA really should have just ignored gamers on this one. They were right and the mass backlash was wrong. It would have meant more to make it take longer to unlock the characters and with only a few days work everyone would have unlocked them or crafted them anyway.

People freaked out and threw a big fit and those people were all wrong.
No, they weren't wrong. They had a system designed to encourage people to spend additional money and it wasn't really fair. The reduced in-game prices made things much more decent.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #23
solinari6
Evil Dead

Randomized loot crates in a $60 game are flat out wrong, unless they are cosmetic only. Period. Loot crates should stick to F2P games, hopefully the backlash here will help move things back in that direction.
solinari6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #24
Fubl
Evil Dead

honestly the problem is on both sides... take two has already said some sort of real money purchases will be all their games going forward who could blame them people bought the crap out of the money cards in gta v online
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #25
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
Randomized loot crates in a $60 game are flat out wrong, unless they are cosmetic only. Period. Loot crates should stick to F2P games, hopefully the backlash here will help move things back in that direction.
They almost are cosmetic, The Star Cards are not that powerful.

All this drama(and I got swept up in it myself a bit) was nothing. After two days of playing I could have unlocked any character or ship that I wanted and crafted any Star Cards I wanted. If a few other gimps were dumb enough to use real cash to get to the same spot I would be in, then let them.

At this point itís stupid because by now everyone has unlocked everything and thereís is nothing really left to earn.

I hope they plan to add more characters and skins and put them behind huge point totals so at least there is something worth saving up to get.

I think I have unlocked all the ships, I just donít have all the Star Cards and I am not high enough level yet to use two or three cards at once yet. But, it will not be long. I am already at level 9.

This is one time the publisher should have just rode out the hate wave till people got their hands on the game and saw that the system was fine the way it was.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #26
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredWeasel View Post
NFS payback's reward system

Totally not gambling, just an honest reward system, gamers overreact to everything...
I didn't know this was a thread about NFS Payback. Fancy that.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #27
Fubl
Evil Dead

i brought it up to show that there is a worse way to do loot boxes released by same publisher in the same month
Old 11-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #28
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubl View Post
i brought it up to show that there is a worse way to do loot boxes released by same publisher in the same month
I'm really interested to see when Take Two does this with say the next GTA game how much whining there will be. Prolly zero because they're simply not Electronic Arts.

If say Blizzard's name was on the front of the box of Star Wars Battlefront II this entire thing would have been a giant nothing burger.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #29
Fubl
Evil Dead

your probably correct if blizzard or take two can get away with it.... but if it was a base activision game and of course ea it looks like a money grab.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #30
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
your probably correct if blizzard or take two can get away with it.... but if it was a base activision game and of course ea it looks like a money grab.
Which is exactly my point that gamers are some of the most hypocritical morons around.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #31
VIVIsectVI
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I'm really interested to see when Take Two does this with say the next GTA game how much whining there will be. Prolly zero because they're simply not Electronic Arts.

If say Blizzard's name was on the front of the box of Star Wars Battlefront II this entire thing would have been a giant nothing burger.
While we're speculating, Blizzard's nothing burger would already have all heroes unlocked and anything in a loot box would be purely cosmetic. That's not the case for Battlefront 2. Plus, you'll have your loot boxes back shortly after Christmas.
VIVIsectVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #32
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
All this drama(and I got swept up in it myself a bit) was nothing.
This is a problem I've noticed from you and several others in particular around here. Your tolerance for being nickle and dimed for time and/or money seems infinite. And I suppose that's fine for some people when it comes to a game like Heroes of the Storm which is F2P. You folks always find a way to let things like this fall away like water off a duck's back.

But what should really bother you that the experience you are having now is what remains after having the shit beat out of it three times due to extreme backlash up to and including, as Rommel has said, Uncle Mickey picking up the phone and telling them to fix their shit.

You can bet your ass it comes back as soon as the PR won't splash back on Disney, Star Wars as a brand, and The Last Jedi. EA certainly isn't going to ditch the system. Mickey doesn't own all EA IPs.

If you haven't seen the reviews and videos showing how someone spending $100 has a significant advantage over others then you fail at using a keyboard and google.

Pay to Win is the norm in Asia which is one reason they've failed to get a really good hold in the West. The acceptance of Pay to Win is like the frog boiling in the water and any acceptance is too much.

We've been indoctrinated to the lootbox system already; too late to put that horse back into the stable. We owe it to ourselves to prevent Pay to Win from getting its fingers into full price Western games. We should draw the line as strong as we can to keep it at cosmetics and consumables.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #33
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Quote:
There's a pretty glaring defect in your argument here: no one paid $60 just for entry into Hearthstone or Heroes of the Storm, and Overwatch has everything except cosmetics already unlocked for everyone who buys the game. No character advantage tweaks even available for purchase. "Loot crate" gaming systems are fine in F2P games; it's how the developers make money off their products, and we, as a gaming populace, have accepted that some amount of randomized nonsense is acceptable in games that we have the option to pay nothing to play. The harder pill to swallow is randomized nonsense in games we actually paid for, and honestly, it seems inevitable that F2P and P2P models will converge in the near future, and that's a detriment to all gamers.
Karai Pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #34
Shifter
MMO vs. new baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
This is a problem I've noticed from you and several others in particular around here. Your tolerance for being nickle and dimed for time and/or money seems infinite. And I suppose that's fine for some people when it comes to a game like Heroes of the Storm which is F2P. You folks always find a way to let things like this fall away like water off a duck's back.

But what should really bother you that the experience you are having now is what remains after having the shit beat out of it three times due to extreme backlash up to and including, as Rommel has said, Uncle Mickey picking up the phone and telling them to fix their shit.

You can bet your ass it comes back as soon as the PR won't splash back on Disney, Star Wars as a brand, and The Last Jedi. EA certainly isn't going to ditch the system. Mickey doesn't own all EA IPs.

If you haven't seen the reviews and videos showing how someone spending $100 has a significant advantage over others then you fail at using a keyboard and google.

Pay to Win is the norm in Asia which is one reason they've failed to get a really good hold in the West. The acceptance of Pay to Win is like the frog boiling in the water and any acceptance is too much.

We've been indoctrinated to the lootbox system already; too late to put that horse back into the stable. We owe it to ourselves to prevent Pay to Win from getting its fingers into full price Western games. We should draw the line as strong as we can to keep it at cosmetics and consumables.
Well said. Gamers are the abused spouses of hobbyists, always making excuses for companies that treat us like shit.

Gamertag: Shifteer
PSN Network ID: Shadowforge
Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #35
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:

I'm just going to compare apples to apples here, but can you explain to me how this system is worse than or more P2W than the system they had in Battlefront (2015)?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #36
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
They almost are cosmetic, The Star Cards are not that powerful.

All this drama(and I got swept up in it myself a bit) was nothing. After two days of playing I could have unlocked any character or ship that I wanted and crafted any Star Cards I wanted. If a few other gimps were dumb enough to use real cash to get to the same spot I would be in, then let them.

At this point itís stupid because by now everyone has unlocked everything and thereís is nothing really left to earn.

I hope they plan to add more characters and skins and put them behind huge point totals so at least there is something worth saving up to get.

I think I have unlocked all the ships, I just donít have all the Star Cards and I am not high enough level yet to use two or three cards at once yet. But, it will not be long. I am already at level 9.

This is one time the publisher should have just rode out the hate wave till people got their hands on the game and saw that the system was fine the way it was.
Interesting.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #37
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
I'm just going to compare apples to apples here, but can you explain to me how this system is worse than or more P2W than the system they had in Battlefront (2015)?
You'll need to provide details as I didn't play the first Dice/EA Battlefront (I'm assuming you're talking about that one rather than the one's from Pandemic a decade ago). It clearly wasn't as abusive in the Pay to Win category as this or there would have been as big an uproar.

Also the excuse given for being abusive in the example of BF2 is because the DLC is free whereas in the first the game was subsided by PDLC and Season Passes instead of wholly reliant on Microtransactions for post release revenue.

Also note IIRC the PDLC in the first did not provide a Pay to Win advantage; in most cases it was maps and modes.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:08 AM   #38
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Interesting.
All this drama and it turns out the publisher was right in the first place. I wouldnít normally defend EA because they are scumbags who would suck the blood out of a mosquito if they thought they could sell you a drop, but having higher point totals would have been a good idea here. Stuff us just too easy to get after all the updates.

They ruined the game for themselves. Even if they turned crystal purchasing back on tomorrow - why would anyone purchase any crystals? Iíve got 80% of the stuff unlocked after two days of gaming. In another 3 or 4 game sessions Iíll have anything worth having unlocked.

There are still going to be a lot of little in-game achievements to accomplish, but buying loot crates? What for? This isnít Heroes of the Storm with 900 skins and 3 color variations for each of those 900 skins.

There are only a few characters here and no skin variations for any of those.

It is like they want to monetize the game like Overwatch or Heroes does and they have no clue how to get there. They thought the Star Cards was going to be the thing that did it, but there just arenít that many of them and they donít offer that big of bonusís.

There was early stories about how Boba Fett with three Star Cards would do 75% more damage than base Boba Fett, but really you can craft those three cards yourself and have the same bonus damage.

I think they had the idea to make some stuff rare and hard to get and really didnít lay out a roadmap of how to get to that goal.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:15 AM   #39
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
You'll need to provide details as I didn't play the first Dice/EA Battlefront (I'm assuming you're talking about that one rather than the one's from Pandemic a decade ago). It clearly wasn't as abusive in the Pay to Win category as this or there would have been as big an uproar.

Also the excuse given for being abusive in the example of BF2 is because the DLC is free whereas in the first the game was subsided by PDLC and Season Passes instead of wholly reliant on Microtransactions for post release revenue.

Also note IIRC the PDLC in the first did not provide a Pay to Win advantage; in most cases it was maps and modes.
Heh that would be why I said Battlefront (2015) yes, the first one from DICE/EA. And you are woefully incorrect I'm afraid.

First off, there was a massive pay to win advantage in the first one, much more than this one. Want the best stuff? Just buy it outright. Everything had a card pack so all you needed to do was drop some money and you've already got the best star cards (Elite Jetpack, Elite Bowcaster, and I believe Elite Bounty Hunter). Made the meta extremely stale, but was much more friendly for P2W.

Secondly, heroes were also included in the DLC. Don't have the DLC? Can't play the heroes. I'd say that's pretty damn abusive (not to mention the whole splitting the player base). Why this one is getting more shit than that one? It's likely because by the time the DLC dropped people had already moved on. And since nobody knew ahead of time what would be included in the DLC, nobody could complain.

In the end I'd say Battlefront 2015 is worse than this one by every conceivable standard. Except being P2W that is, it was much better at that.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:45 AM   #40
DrizziTx
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post

I think its because it took gamers time to get their heads around the p2w ideas and practices, at first gamers as a whole didn't know how to treat p2w in their payed for games back in 2015.

As time progressed, the gamers understanding of this trend grew to a point where now gamers know how p2w is abusive, they see it sink into too many payed games, they understand how it hurts them and they found a common high profile game to raise an uproar against, namely SW BF II, maybe even against a company that is very recognized with it, EA.

So in that accord I'd say that people jumped on the protest wagon not specifically against SW BF II, but rather against the entire idea of p2w abuse as a whole where SW BF II happened to be an easy target in this point in time.

And @Evil, I totally agree here that you are too lenient in this regard, I get why you defend SW BF II and it seems you are right according to what you described, I for one have no interest in this game, but you as a gamer, much like me, has a lot to gain from such practices being toned down or even vanishing from our games (I guess that's a euphoric dream), EA do not deserve any defense from you.

Tags
dice, disney, ea games, electronic arts, star wars battlefront 2