Today 05:17 PM
11 Replies, 623 Views

Old 11-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Telltale's Marvel Game is Guardians of the Galaxy

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
Telltale Games' upcoming Marvel game will be based on Guardians of the Galaxy.

Eurogamer first heard word of the game earlier this month, ahead of a likely unveiling at The Game Awards in December.

Previous years' ceremonies have seen various other Telltale titles receive their first trailers.

Now, Telltale's latest episodic game has popped up on a list of projects affected by the ongoing US voice-actor strike, officially listed as Guardians of the Galaxy - The Video Game aka. Blue Harvest (thanks, ComicBookMovie).

Blue Harvest is likely a fake working-title - just as it was used for Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

We haven't heard whether the game will follow Marvel's comics continuity or show the big-screen Marvel Cinematic Universe version.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I feel like Telltale is just selling brand names, now. While I did like The Wolf Among Us a great deal, I haven't had any interest in any of it's other titles.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I stopped caring shortly after their first Sam & Max releases. They just didn't have the charm of the comic or Hit the Road.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:58 AM   #4
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I feel like Telltale is just selling brand names, now. While I did like The Wolf Among Us a great deal, I haven't had any interest in any of it's other titles.
Telltale adventures were never great games, they're (mostly) interesting new takes on existing stories in a different medium. Of course, they purely sell on the strength of the brand. "The Walking Dead" - great. "Back to the Future" - okay. "The Wolf Among US" - what?
Old 11-15-2016, 04:43 AM   #5
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Telltale adventures were never great games, they're (mostly) interesting new takes on existing stories in a different medium. Of course, they purely sell on the strength of the brand. "The Walking Dead" - great. "Back to the Future" - okay. "The Wolf Among US" - what?
The Wolf Among Us is notable, to me, for having one of the greatest video game plot twists of all time.

Most games (and movies) hang their hat on their plot twist. It comes at the end of the second act so that the entire third act can be the ramifications of the plot twist and the confrontation with the "True evil".

Movies like The Usual Suspects or games like The Wolf Among Us save their plot twist until the very last second. In TWAU, the story resolves and is completely satisfactory in it's own right. There is absolutely no need for a twist. Then in the final few seconds of the story it throws a huge twist at you and then cuts to black. No explanation. No further commentary.

I love that.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
Azrael
Evil Dead

I've played several of Telltales games (The Wolf Among Us - Very good, Walking Dead - Good, Tales from the Borderlands - Great) and while I enjoy them i refuse to play them in a episodic fashion. I wait till the full game is released before i jump onboard, Batman is currently falling into this category.

One of my big concerns is that one of the series that Im interested in get canned half way through... Poor sales or poor reception, whichever. But this makes me hold of till the game is complete.

In the meantime i hope they keep pumping out quality though
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I'm inclined to agree.

But King's Quest, for example, is a game that really was intended to be played episodically. I think that that anyone who plays it in it's full on-disc version will find it to be disjointed and repetitive.

People are reporting the same thing about netflix-fatigue. New series aren't exactly meant to be watched all at once, but people feel like they have to in order to beat spoilers.

Tags
guardians of the galaxy, telltale games