Today 07:40 AM
11 Replies, 540 Views

Old 11-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Overwatch 2: Zero Hour Announce Trailer

Via Blizzard.com
Quote:
We’re pleased to announce Overwatch 2, a globe-spanning sequel that builds on the original’s battle-honed foundation and carries forward everything players have earned into a new era of epic competition and team play. In addition to clashing against rivals in PvP modes, players will explore the Overwatch universe firsthand in whole new ways in fully cooperative missions that challenge the world’s heroes to team up, power up, and take on an overwhelming outbreak of threats around the globe.
Strap in for a pretty amazing trailer, folks.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The trailer is well done, but tries to pull on heart strings that the series hasn't earned. I don't pine for the days of the original Overwatch, because those days never existed. Blizzard never made an "Overwatch" single player game where you became invested in the characters and their background stories.

They put out a few mini-trailers, but that's hardly enough for the amount of sentimentality that this trailer pretends people have for the characters.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #3
Meeks
Evil Dead

That was fun to watch, but I'm really just here for the gameplay.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I couldn’t bring myself to finish watching this. As Evil said, I never got attached to any of these characters. I tried but I found most of them boring or annoying.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
badclam
Lord

do we get to roll over our current save's and progression? that's the bigger question? Overwatch is a Live Service Game!!!
badclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by badclam View Post
do we get to roll over our current save's and progression? that's the bigger question? Overwatch is a Live Service Game!!!
I believe they already said you do. That and the PvP portion will be free for people who own Overwatch already (I think it's really just an extension of what's going on now?).
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #7
badclam
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
I believe they already said you do. That and the PvP portion will be free for people who own Overwatch already (I think it's really just an extension of what's going on now?).
Cool, I missed that and thank you, I really did miss that.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #8
badclam
Lord

We all know that Actiblizz is in China's pocket, so don lie to yourself, ok, everyone here know's it's the truth!!!
Old 11-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The trailer is well done, but tries to pull on heart strings that the series hasn't earned. I don't pine for the days of the original Overwatch, because those days never existed. Blizzard never made an "Overwatch" single player game where you became invested in the characters and their background stories.

They put out a few mini-trailers, but that's hardly enough for the amount of sentimentality that this trailer pretends people have for the characters.
I don't care much for the characters. This trailer sets up a classic situation and resolution. It is generic and the types of shorts Blizzard has made for this game (and movies of the same ilk) are designed to be uplifting due to the circumstances, not the characters.

Some shorts and movies do both the characters AND the situation well, I'd argue The Magnificent Seven does both well (the new version), but nailing one or the other is good enough.

This is a very well done trailer though in that it does the circumstance well even if you don't care about the characters and it looks amazing. Those looking for the China connection will probably be suspicious of Mei and her part (it's due to the "Made in China" backpack carried by the Chinese character that the badguys can be defeated. Also, Mei is one of the few who loyally stuck with Overwatch while others seemingly abandoned the fight. CHINA NUMBER 1!!

I am very interested in the co-op mode, as long as there are enough dials so I can group with 1, 2, or 3 or whatever of my friends instead of being forced to endure the shitty community of players that is Overwatch. The lack of good co-op is why I didn't really play the first.

Finally, here's a gameplay and feature reveal:

vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I couldn’t bring myself to finish watching this. As Evil said, I never got attached to any of these characters. I tried but I found most of them boring or annoying.
I watched the whole thing, and while it's enjoyable and very well-made...the entire thing is obviously structured around the idea of an Avengers-like crew reforming during a time of need. The catch is, these characters don't have the same amount of history or draw.

They clearly wanted this trailer to feel like this...

or this...

...but the worldbuilding just ain't there. If this series was two or three games deep and had the sort of strong storytelling and character development Blizzard has been capable of in the past, it could definitely work.

Basically, if Overwatch wasn't just an multiplayer-only game with no actual narrative, this could have been so much more effective.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I don't care much for the characters. This trailer sets up a classic situation and resolution. It is generic and the types of shorts Blizzard has made for this game (and movies of the same ilk) are designed to be uplifting due to the circumstances, not the characters.

Some shorts and movies do both the characters AND the situation well, I'd argue The Magnificent Seven does both well (the new version), but nailing one or the other is good enough.

This is a very well done trailer though in that it does the circumstance well even if you don't care about the characters and it looks amazing. Those looking for the China connection will probably be suspicious of Mei and her part (it's due to the "Made in China" backpack carried by the Chinese character that the badguys can be defeated. Also, Mei is one of the few who loyally stuck with Overwatch while others seemingly abandoned the fight. CHINA NUMBER 1!!

I am very interested in the co-op mode, as long as there are enough dials so I can group with 1, 2, or 3 or whatever of my friends instead of being forced to endure the shitty community of players that is Overwatch. The lack of good co-op is why I didn't really play the first.

Finally, here's a gameplay and feature reveal:

I watched the whole new features thing and it does seem like a rather feature-rich update. The graphics are better and characters have more polys (yay?).

Also, was that destructible environments?!?!??!?!

That's kind of awesome considering it was a major miss IMO on the last one.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #12
Juice
Knight

Mean while TF2 is free.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:37 PM   #13
Azzy
Cthulian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Mean while TF2 is free.
So is tossing a rock into the air and catching it.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
So is tossing a rock into the air and catching it.
The difference is I still find tossing a ball in the air and catching it to be fun. The same can’t be said for TF2.

TF2 was heading toward being the biggest game of all time, then they just decided to sell hats and it totally died. Too bad, the world building they started to do for the characters was amazing. They were on the verge of creating some kind of single player game there it felt like and we would have been all-in for it.

Instead they just focused on selling us hats and selling us Steam and forgot that they were a game company first.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:42 AM   #15
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I could be way off on this but wasn't Overwatch's popularity really dying out for a while there too with the big money audience moving on to battle royals?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
Booda
Beam another Blast

Blizzard Adds President Xi To 'Overwatch' Roster

Quote:
ANAHEIM, CA—In a surprise announcement at BlizzCon over the weekend, Blizzard confirmed they've added President Xi to the Overwatch roster of heroes.

Blizzard has denied that the move was made to appease China.

"Here he is, the hero you've all been waiting for, the great, flawless leader... President! Xi! Jinping!" Blizzard President J. Allen Brack declared in a speech. There were several boos from the crowd, but these quickly disappeared after the sounds of muffled sniper fire.

"We know we've handled this Hong Kong thing poorly, and this is our way to apologize to you, the fans," he added. "You can play as the great hero President Xi, he whom we all love, adore, and cherish."

President Xi will be invulnerable in the game, of course, and will have overpowered abilities, such as the "Secret Police" ability, which lets him immediately arrest all the other players, detain them indefinitely, and execute them if desired. He will also have the "Puppet String" ability where he can make other players do whatever he wants by dangling cash in front of them.

Blizzard will also be banning anyone who doesn't select Xi while playing the game and reporting them to Chinese authorities.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzcon 2019, overwatch 2; blizzard, zero hour