Valve announces...
Last post by karaliusbronius
Today 07:40 AM
11 Replies, 540 Views

Old 11-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The King - Now on Netflix

The King is now playing on Netflix. I watched it over the weekend. Fantastic film, I loved the realism of people fighting in armor down and dirty in the mud. Just a great film. I wish it had been a whole series.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

I watched it. It was decent but fairly forgettable. It seemed to lack heart. Somehow I just didn't really care what happened.

Plus it had the Twilight dude in there. He's irritating as hell, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Good film. There was a LOT of meh, but by the end I was glad that I continued watching. War is ridiculous and so are people of power.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
War is ridiculous and so are people of power.
Because those that seek power are the same who are not fit to wield it.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:54 AM   #5
BadIronTree
Subscriber

I think this is the King that broke off from the Catholic church because they did not gave him a Divorce ... So he can make a Son :P
Old 11-06-2019, 04:59 AM   #6
Eats
Developer

I thought Agincourt was entirely won by the invention of the English Longbow. That is not what was depicted in the movie at all.

Henry fighting hand to hand and challenging people to 1 on 1 combat was very real though, which is crazy.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Quote:
I thought Agincourt was entirely won by the invention of the English Longbow. That is not what was depicted in the movie at all.

Henry fighting hand to hand and challenging people to 1 on 1 combat was very real though, which is crazy.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but nah, the longbow just gets romanticized a lot, but in a lot of battles there simply weren't enough arrows to solely determine the course of the battle and it ended up as a melee anyway. Agincourt for example had around 5000 archers (estimates vary), say they shot 12 arrows a minute, that's 60.000 arrows a minute and 600.000 arrows in 10 minutes. The battle lasted 3 to 4 hours, although not constant fighting. It's most likely that the archers ran out of arrows long before the end, certainly before the second french division arrived. There's also the issue of how effective they actually were vs contemporary plate armour, although there's no doubt that they were effective against the more lightly armoured horses. Agincourt was won by a combination of the stupidity of the french leaders, the mud caused by rain on a recently ploughed field that the french tried to charge over, and lastly by the rain of arrows that Longbows were able to output.
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree View Post
I think this is the King that broke off from the Catholic church because they did not gave him a Divorce ... So he can make a Son :P
No, that's Henry VIII in the 16th century. This is Henry V (r 1413-1422).

Henry VIII is the fat one with the medieval understanding of reproductive biology.
Quote:
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredWeasel View Post
I haven't seen the movie yet, but nah, the longbow just gets romanticized a lot, but in a lot of battles there simply weren't enough arrows to solely determine the course of the battle and it ended up as a melee anyway. Agincourt for example had around 5000 archers (estimates vary), say they shot 12 arrows a minute, that's 60.000 arrows a minute and 600.000 arrows in 10 minutes. The battle lasted 3 to 4 hours, although not constant fighting. It's most likely that the archers ran out of arrows long before the end, certainly before the second french division arrived. There's also the issue of how effective they actually were vs contemporary plate armour, although there's no doubt that they were effective against the more lightly armoured horses. Agincourt was won by a combination of the stupidity of the french leaders, the mud caused by rain on a recently ploughed field that the french tried to charge over, and lastly by the rain of arrows that Longbows were able to output.
I thought like 80% of the English Army consisted of archers in that battle. I could see them running out of arrows I guess, but they only fired two volleys of arrows in the movie total.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
I thought like 80% of the English Army consisted of archers in that battle. I could see them running out of arrows I guess, but they only fired two volleys of arrows in the movie total.
It did look like they kinda downplayed how much damage the long bow did at the start of the battle in favor of the down-and-dirty mud fighting stuff.

Still, great battle scenes either way.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #11
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Quote:
Estimates run from about 50% to 90% archers, generally speaking English armies at the time were around 50/50, but I do seem to recall Agincourt having more like 2/3 archers. Anyway just because they were archers doesn't mean they couldn't fight in melee. They were mostly professional soldiers, trained to fight in melee, often equipped with some form of light armour and heavy weapons (poleaxes and mallets were popular) and used to drawing a 100-180 pound bow. The French troops were tired, slowed and in disarray from charging across the field and were relatively easy pickings in the sticky mud vs the lighter archers.
There's no question that they would have run out of arrows, there is simply only so much an army can carry with it on a march across France, from what I remember they ran out before the second french division made it into melee. 2 Volleys though, nope, far too few, 12 shots a minute is the usual number for battle conditions, and once in range there's no reason to stop shooting until they are too close to the archers or other friendly troops.
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the king