Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Blair Witch Coming to...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 07:52 PM
2 Replies, 121 Views
Brad McQuaid has passed...
Last post by Skunk
Today 07:31 PM
19 Replies, 656 Views
Ford vs Ferrari Races to...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Today 06:47 PM
16 Replies, 774 Views
Borderlands 3 Campaign...
Last post by Dag-Sabot
Today 03:34 PM
3 Replies, 172 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 03:32 PM
5,079 Replies, 1,121,021 Views
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen...
Last post by Kreigmstr
Today 01:08 PM
38 Replies, 1,597 Views
Arkane Veterans Announce...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 09:34 AM
0 Replies, 126 Views
Valve announces...
Last post by karaliusbronius
Today 07:40 AM
11 Replies, 540 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,531
Blog Entries: 20
The King - Now on Netflix


The King is now playing on Netflix. I watched it over the weekend. Fantastic film, I loved the realism of people fighting in armor down and dirty in the mud. Just a great film. I wish it had been a whole series.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,236
I watched it. It was decent but fairly forgettable. It seemed to lack heart. Somehow I just didn't really care what happened.

Plus it had the Twilight dude in there. He's irritating as hell, lol.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
excalibur1814
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.K
Posts: 1,012
Blog Entries: 1
Good film. There was a LOT of meh, but by the end I was glad that I continued watching. War is ridiculous and so are people of power.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead
 
MadMurdock_0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mom's basement
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
War is ridiculous and so are people of power.
Because those that seek power are the same who are not fit to wield it.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:54 AM   #5
BadIronTree
Subscriber
 
BadIronTree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 643
I think this is the King that broke off from the Catholic church because they did not gave him a Divorce ... So he can make a Son :P
__________________
Join Star Citizen and get 5,000 UEC Free
http://robertsspaceindustries.com/en...STAR-K6CZ-XQPD
BadIronTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:59 AM   #6
Eats
Developer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,033
I thought Agincourt was entirely won by the invention of the English Longbow. That is not what was depicted in the movie at all.

Henry fighting hand to hand and challenging people to 1 on 1 combat was very real though, which is crazy.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I thought Agincourt was entirely won by the invention of the English Longbow. That is not what was depicted in the movie at all.

Henry fighting hand to hand and challenging people to 1 on 1 combat was very real though, which is crazy.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but nah, the longbow just gets romanticized a lot, but in a lot of battles there simply weren't enough arrows to solely determine the course of the battle and it ended up as a melee anyway. Agincourt for example had around 5000 archers (estimates vary), say they shot 12 arrows a minute, that's 60.000 arrows a minute and 600.000 arrows in 10 minutes. The battle lasted 3 to 4 hours, although not constant fighting. It's most likely that the archers ran out of arrows long before the end, certainly before the second french division arrived. There's also the issue of how effective they actually were vs contemporary plate armour, although there's no doubt that they were effective against the more lightly armoured horses. Agincourt was won by a combination of the stupidity of the french leaders, the mud caused by rain on a recently ploughed field that the french tried to charge over, and lastly by the rain of arrows that Longbows were able to output.
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree View Post
I think this is the King that broke off from the Catholic church because they did not gave him a Divorce ... So he can make a Son :P
No, that's Henry VIII in the 16th century. This is Henry V (r 1413-1422).

Henry VIII is the fat one with the medieval understanding of reproductive biology.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
Eats
Developer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredWeasel View Post
I haven't seen the movie yet, but nah, the longbow just gets romanticized a lot, but in a lot of battles there simply weren't enough arrows to solely determine the course of the battle and it ended up as a melee anyway. Agincourt for example had around 5000 archers (estimates vary), say they shot 12 arrows a minute, that's 60.000 arrows a minute and 600.000 arrows in 10 minutes. The battle lasted 3 to 4 hours, although not constant fighting. It's most likely that the archers ran out of arrows long before the end, certainly before the second french division arrived. There's also the issue of how effective they actually were vs contemporary plate armour, although there's no doubt that they were effective against the more lightly armoured horses. Agincourt was won by a combination of the stupidity of the french leaders, the mud caused by rain on a recently ploughed field that the french tried to charge over, and lastly by the rain of arrows that Longbows were able to output.
I thought like 80% of the English Army consisted of archers in that battle. I could see them running out of arrows I guess, but they only fired two volleys of arrows in the movie total.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,531
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I thought like 80% of the English Army consisted of archers in that battle. I could see them running out of arrows I guess, but they only fired two volleys of arrows in the movie total.
It did look like they kinda downplayed how much damage the long bow did at the start of the battle in favor of the down-and-dirty mud fighting stuff.

Still, great battle scenes either way.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #11
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I thought like 80% of the English Army consisted of archers in that battle. I could see them running out of arrows I guess, but they only fired two volleys of arrows in the movie total.
Estimates run from about 50% to 90% archers, generally speaking English armies at the time were around 50/50, but I do seem to recall Agincourt having more like 2/3 archers. Anyway just because they were archers doesn't mean they couldn't fight in melee. They were mostly professional soldiers, trained to fight in melee, often equipped with some form of light armour and heavy weapons (poleaxes and mallets were popular) and used to drawing a 100-180 pound bow. The French troops were tired, slowed and in disarray from charging across the field and were relatively easy pickings in the sticky mud vs the lighter archers.
There's no question that they would have run out of arrows, there is simply only so much an army can carry with it on a march across France, from what I remember they ran out before the second french division made it into melee. 2 Volleys though, nope, far too few, 12 shots a minute is the usual number for battle conditions, and once in range there's no reason to stop shooting until they are too close to the archers or other friendly troops.
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
the king

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:54 PM.