Yesterday 08:27 PM
2,915 Replies, 393,417 Views

Old 11-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
Oddmaker
Developer

Command & Conquer Remasters Announced

Quote:
Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

A month ago, we let the Command & Conquer™ community know we were bringing the franchise back to the PC, starting with a remaster initiative. The reaction from fans has been amazing, with many of you sharing your favorite C&C moments from the past 23 years. We have been reading these comments and listening intently. And now, we are ready to reveal our first PC offering and how your suggestions are already influencing our approach.

Today, I’m thrilled to tell you we are going back to the beginning. We have decided to remaster Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn. And while this is incredibly exciting on its own, we’re also aware of how passionate the community is about the Red Alert universe. So, we will also remaster the original Command & Conquer: Red Alert™. But what about the classic expansion packs you may ask - Covert Ops, Counterstrike, and Aftermath? Well, C&C and Red Alert wouldn’t be the same without them, so all three expansion packs will be bundled with the base games into one remastered collection - without microtransactions.

Now, in addition to the excitement and support of this remaster initiative over the past month, there has also been a healthy skepticism that we can pull this off. How are we possibly going to remaster these titles while maintaining the authenticity of the original experiences? Bottom line, there is no better way to achieve this than to partner with some of the talented developers who brought these original games to life.

So, after years of the fans asking for their involvement, I am humbled to announce that EA is going to partner with Petroglyph Games to develop the C&C remastered collection.

Petroglyph Games includes many of the original developers from Westwood Studios, and some of the most influential members of the original Command & Conquer development team from 1995. Joe Bostic is known as the co-creator of C&C, having also served as the Lead Programmer on Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert. Steve Tall joined Joe as a Lead Programmer on Red Alert, and Ted Morris was the original community manager on the C&C franchise. And Mike Legg contributed to all forms of audio systems at Westwood, having been an employee since 1986! All four members helped start Petroglyph Games in 2003 after the closure of Westwood and are joined by a veteran group of RTS developers from the past 15+ years.

On a personal note, I can tell you the past few weeks have been surreal. During my first visit to Petroglyph, I was able to brainstorm “C&C feel” with Joe, reminisce about the jukebox with Mike, and gab with Steve about whether we should fix the Tib Dawn Harvester AI. Getting to chat C&C with the original developers has been one of the highlights of my gamer journey, and I can’t wait for all the incredible conversations to come.

In addition to the fantastic team at Petroglyph, we will also be partnering with Lemon Sky Studios to help bring these original games to 4k glory. Lemon Sky is one of the premier art studios around the world, with a unique specialty in remastering classic RTS titles. After meeting their team and hearing their passion for C&C, we are incredibly lucky to have them team up with Petroglyph to develop the highest quality C&C possible.

The exciting part is that we haven’t started development yet. The community is literally getting in on the ground floor of this project and have every opportunity to help influence how we build this remastered experience. Please continue to engage on Reddit and community channels and help us create the best possible remasters of C&C and Red Alert!

To kick things off, be sure to read the message below from Joe Bostic, and then watch the video at the bottom for one more surprise…

Welcome Back, Commander!

Jim Vessella

Jimtern
More on this announcement here.
Oddmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Skunk
Evil Dead

Wow, must suck to drop this a week after the War3 remaster announcement. Just look like a bunch of dweebs now.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

I remain pessimistic, but also optimistic, as these were the two games that defined strategy gaming for me. I was definitely in the Command & Conquer corner while my friends were in the WarCraft corner.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
Wow, must suck to drop this a week after the War3 remaster announcement. Just look like a bunch of dweebs now.
HaHa. I will play both. Good times.

Bring on the Dune 2 remaster!!!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
Drake_NS
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
HaHa. I will play both. Good times.

Bring on the Dune 2 remaster!!!
You know, I have a Dune 2000 disc around here somewhere...
Drake_NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake_NS View Post
You know, I have a Dune 2000 disc around here somewhere...
The first real time strategy game. Man, I was obsessed with that game when it came out. I played it pretty much to the exclusion of all other activities except work and sleep (and I mostly gave up on sleep until I beat it).
Old 11-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #7
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
The first real time strategy game. Man, I was obsessed with that game when it came out. I played it pretty much to the exclusion of all other activities except work and sleep (and I mostly gave up on sleep until I beat it).
You and me both, but I played RA2 even more upon it's release. On Westwood Online I was consistently top 500 and even hit top 50 one month. RA2 was my game. Yes, everyone else was playing Warcraft 3, but I just found Westwood's interpretations of RTS better.

I recently bought RA2 YR from GOG and while looking up a 16x9 fix on WSGF I found out that the community LIVES with this game.

In fact, you can go dowload and play the game for FREE at CnCnet.org. They include a ton of patches, HD fixes and the ability to choose between vanilla and Yuri's Revenge. I installed it about a few months ago and have played it several time. It actually got me back into RTS that I picked up Supreme Commander for awhile and have now dove back into Planetary Annihilation.

Will this remaster be worth it? Anything is worth it to feel young again, but if you wanna instant Tiberian Sun, Dune 2000, RA2 or even the original C&C, go here NOW: https://cncnet.org
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
C&C was always a better franchise anyway. While I wish it were a remaster of C&C Generals, or better yet Generals 2, this could be solid if done right.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:32 AM   #9
paragondk1
Dread Lord

Quote:
Dune 2... That was my experience too. SO addictive. I completed the campaign as all three houses. One of my fondest gaming memories. Dune 2000 didn't catch me at all even though I enjoyed the sand worm graphics at the time.
paragondk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #10
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Best soundtracks ever.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Best soundtracks ever.
Agreed also best use of cheesy FMV cutscenes ever as well imo.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
I remain pessimistic, but also optimistic
Bipolar is a bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #13
Exodus
Evil Dead

Oh man red 3 remaster please of eva mckenna that was my teenage game mistress crush
Old 11-16-2018, 12:19 AM   #14
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Remastered Tanya? Let's Rock!
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:22 AM   #15
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

We'll see how it turns out. It is EA, after all, and not Evil Avatar.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #16
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Oh man red 3 remaster please of eva mckenna that was my teenage game mistress crush
I never played this back in the day so I had to look her up. I like the whole military briefing combined with nice cleavage thing that she does.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Total Annihilation remaster?

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote