See Rockstar's Wild West...
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 02:10 PM
32 Replies, 1,563 Views

Old 09-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

METAL JESUS ROCKS!: Awesome Grafx

If there's one thing we learned from 80s glam rock power house Cinderella, it's that investing in Aqua Net futures would never again be as profitable as it was in the late 80s. But if there was a second life lesson given to us by Keifer and Co., it's that you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Such was certainly the case with the short-lived (state-side, at least) TurboGrafx-16 console. Looking at the retrogame collecting scene today, you'd think that the TG-16 was the halcyon console of our collective childhood, and not a largely unloved also-ran. Indeed, it's hard to imagine precisely why NEC's 16-bit entry into the US console race didn't take off the way the Genesis and Super Nintendo did. It had excellent graphics, incredible sound, an amazing portable, and some truly impressive and fun games. Such the power of marketing.

The Metal Jesus has nothing but love for this fourth generation fan favorite. In this week's episode of MJR!, he teams up for a second time with PCE super fan Carlos to share 10 more of the greatest games ever crammed onto a credit-card sized cartridge.

A friend of mine just dropped $300 for a Turbo Duo R. Oh, the possibilities with that one...
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Cinderella was my favorite glam rock band when I was 11. And again when they released Heartbreak Station.

When I was a young boy.... I used Aqua Net hairspray on my hair!! YEAH!!! Those were the days. Somebody saaaaave me!

OK enough with the Cinderalla lyrics...

The TGX used those super cool CARDS for games that the Sega Master System introduced. Loved those.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

A reference to Cinderella? Somebody save me!

Old 09-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Always considered the TG16 as a superior system despite never having one. I'm also curious, why wasn't it successful?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #5
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Always considered the TG16 as a superior system despite never having one. I'm also curious, why wasn't it successful?
Nearly zero third-party support and poor retail in-roads.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:29 AM   #6
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Marketing and mindshare killed it off in the US I think. People were already fully entrenched in the Sega vs Nintendo war at the time. Most didn't even know that the TG16 was coming out until it was already launched. As for power, it was vastly superior to the NES and Sega Master System but once the SNES and Genesis launched, they outclassed the TG in this department. Still it was a fun system that put out some nice visuals and great music for the time and a lot of the games were pretty unique. I even thought that it was a nice looking system in terms of hardware.

I do remember that once they launched, they made a big deal about it at our local mall. They had stacks of big screen TVs, strobe lights, blaring music, and tons of kiosks set up with different games for contests etc. My buddy won a system by getting a high score at Blazing Lazers at that event. I ended up getting one for Christmas (the biggest ticket item I had ever gotten for Christmas up until then) and loved it ever since. In fact it's still in my game room now (and not because I'm a collector. The only other systems there are the Wii U and 360.) I recently unboxed it for the kids and showed them what I used to play. Surprisingly they were impressed. Unfortunately, I only had Keith Courage and Legendary Axe to show them as all of my other games had gone missing or were sold over the years.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

MJ, The TurboGrfx is the PC Engine. Ys started on the PC-8801. For the record, I am convinced NEC made more machines and consoles than every other company put together.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I remember the kid who sat in front of me in 7th grade debating the pros and cons of the Genesis vs the Turbo Grafix. He had both!

I was jealous. Until I got an Amiga that is. Then I just laughed.

Then there was this redneck moron in high school who laughed and said I didn't know what 16-bit was when I told him my Amiga was 16-bit and he thought his Genesis was better. Ugh.

I could never get him to come to my house and see Shadow of the Beast. I can just imagine his eyes and ears popping out of his head.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I remember the kid who sat in front of me in 7th grade debating the pros and cons of the Genesis vs the Turbo Grafix. He had both!

I was jealous. Until I got an Amiga that is. Then I just laughed.

Then there was this redneck moron in high school who laughed and said I didn't know what 16-bit was when I told him my Amiga was 16-bit and he thought his Genesis was better. Ugh.

I could never get him to come to my house and see Shadow of the Beast. I can just imagine his eyes and ears popping out of his head.
You had an Amiga? ... are you British?

Tags
metal jesus, metal jesus rocks, nec, pc engine, pce, turbografx, video