13 Replies, 1,341 Views
Call of Duty Modern...
Last post by RAV
Yesterday 12:16 PM
27 Replies, 1,380 Views

Old 03-31-2006, 08:13 AM   #41
TheBrainKills
Evil Dead

I had a funny moment the other day. I was waiting in a guards barracks to steal something, they had this table set up where they were eating their meals in between shifts. One guy sits down and half the table's plates cups and food explodes off the table. I was looking at it, getting a good chuckle, then a guy comes in picks up some food off the floor and eats it.

.... mmm guess you had to be there.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:18 AM   #42
Kelegacy
Poor Impulse Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrainKills
I had a funny moment the other day. I was waiting in a guards barracks to steal something, they had this table set up where they were eating their meals in between shifts. One guy sits down and half the table's plates cups and food explodes off the table. I was looking at it, getting a good chuckle, then a guy comes in picks up some food off the floor and eats it.

.... mmm guess you had to be there.
This is how I steal most of my stuff. I run into a table or counter at a store and stuff gets blown all over the place. I then try to boot stuff into a corner where I can pilfer them without the store owner seeing me.

It's stupid and unrealistic, but I get away with so much.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:27 AM   #43
Intruder
Retired

Ok this is a shameless plug for a review of Oblivion that I did a week ago, but it seemed to get very few reads. In it it covers much of what this review covers and then more. Intruder's Review of Oblivion for the 360

Last edited by Intruder; 03-31-2006 at 08:40 AM..
Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #44
Evil_SPanKY
It aint easy being cheezy

I love this game so far. The randon NPC conversations are funny to listen to somtimes. Especially when one of them (the NPC's) has attitude issues (like Mages Guild Master mentioned previously).

Runs great for me too now, once I fixed a flakey codec issue with CL SB cards. Currently running at Ultra, 1600x1200, all distanced maxed and HDR enabled. Looks gorgoius this way!
Evil_SPanKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:15 AM   #45
Zurik
Evil Dead

Here's some fun knowledge: Poison apples pretty much kill any NPC instantly. People like to eat at random times of the day. When pickpocketing, you can plant stuff on a person instead of taking it off them. Have fun.
Zurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:01 AM   #46
Kefkataran
Die trying

Quote:
This is how I steal most of my stuff. I run into a table or counter at a store and stuff gets blown all over the place. I then try to boot stuff into a corner where I can pilfer them without the store owner seeing me.

It's stupid and unrealistic, but I get away with so much.
Unrealistic? Be honest: that's how you steal shit from Wal-Mart too.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:02 AM   #47
Kelegacy
Poor Impulse Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefkataran
Unrealistic? Be honest: that's how you steal shit from Wal-Mart too.
I'll Fucking Kill You!
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:21 AM   #48
Rarely Operable Brain
Evil Dead

Very good review. Oblivion is easily my favorite Elder Scrolls game, and one of my personal Top 5 RPG's ever.
Rarely Operable Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:21 AM   #49
51|RandoM
Banned

I've been trying to do everything on one character. My savegame is a little over 100 hours(275+ days in game time), and he is lvl 36 with 149 completed quests and 6 active.

I still have to find a couple shrines for the artifact quests, but other than that, everything is done.
51|RandoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:56 AM   #50
Magnanimous Gnome
Pickles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlost_MI
I think that comment may offend Nichols.

This Nichols is not that Nichols.

But thanks for playing, Gnome.

No, I'm pretty sure they are one and the same, you troll.

I can't believe how far some people are in this game. I haven't played it myself, but I have been playing Morrowind during the last week and a half or so (since Oblivion came out) and I'm level 6. Then again I have a life (ie I read Evil Avatar all day.)

Rini's official EvAv GBF
Forbidden Fruit

If you're not spanking during sex, you're not doing it right. ~~Lord_Don
Magnanimous Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:01 AM   #51
Dabombpizza
Evil Dead

My question is, how does the 360 version run without a Hard Drive?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:08 AM   #52
Zanzibar
Threads Killed: 105

There is one, and only one, thing I am not enjoying about Oblivion - the character models. It's fine and all to have a single unified technique so that you can make any number of faces out of a single morph-target head, but NOBODY IN THE ENTIRE FRIGGIN' COUNTRY has cheekbones, for God's sake. They all look like some kind of DS9 Odo-spawn.

No wonder nobody has children; they're all too fucking ugly to inspire sex.

That's it. Flame me if you feel like it. Apart from that, the game is just amazing.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:25 AM   #53
Taco
Cynic

Heh, Morrowind faces were pretty atrocious, some facepacks came out that made it better. So by comparison, it looks good .
Old 03-31-2006, 11:30 AM   #54
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar
There is one, and only one, thing I am not enjoying about Oblivion - the character models. It's fine and all to have a single unified technique so that you can make any number of faces out of a single morph-target head, but NOBODY IN THE ENTIRE FRIGGIN' COUNTRY has cheekbones, for God's sake. They all look like some kind of DS9 Odo-spawn.

No wonder nobody has children; they're all too fucking ugly to inspire sex.

That's it. Flame me if you feel like it. Apart from that, the game is just amazing.
I actually have to agree with you. A lot of the characters (esp. the elves) just look strange to me. I'm used to it, but they made me wonder if something was wrong with my computer for the first couple times I saw it.

I also concur with Maggie's comments about how far people are in this game. I wish I had no life. I'm only level 2 and am about 4-5 hours into the game. Sigh. I'm too busy picking every possible mushroom and plant. I've gone from the lone mushroom harvester of Vvardenfell to being the crazy flower plucker of Cyrodill.

PSN: Spigotsan
Gamertag: Guboo
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:32 AM   #55
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabombpizza
My question is, how does the 360 version run without a Hard Drive?
Unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't.

PSN: Spigotsan
Gamertag: Guboo
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:41 AM   #56
Zanzibar
Threads Killed: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot
Unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't.
No, it'll run, the load times get a tad longer and there's a load screen after every time you re-visit an area (if you have a HDD and you leave and re-enter an area, the area has already been cached on the HDD so there's no load screen), but overall it's not an impossible difference.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:43 AM   #57
thecrazyd

My major problem with this game is that it suffers a little from jack of all trades, master of none. It is fun, but nothing really stands out. I am playing as a thief, and having fun I may add, but the stealth gameplay is quite weak. If I get caught, I have no chance to fight my way out of the situation, as guards come flooding in, and I cannot hide and wait it out. Pick-pocketing is a completely random event, and darkness hinders me, but not the people I am stealing from. Maybe I am just expecting too much.

Last edited by thecrazyd; 03-31-2006 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Jack off all trades? What was I thinking?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:04 PM   #58
Mason
Philosophical Zombie

Hmm, even my warrior can make it away from the guards, and aggro anyone who follows onto a local ogre. Try some invisibility?
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #59
thecrazyd

Oh, I can make it away from the guards, just not by hiding or fighting. I just have to run like a little bitch away from town.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #60
VoodooKarma
Dread Lord

I took the last week off of work to immerse myself in Oblivion and my expectations were so high that I didn't think the game could possibly live up to what I was expecting but, incredibly, it does. I have done like 15 quests so far (not including the little bit of the main quests I have done) and ALL of them have been unique and a lot of fun. There have been a ton of those 'WOW' moments while playing (the whole Kvatch sequence comes to mind) but a recent one stands out. I was doing a quest in Anvil where you have to go into a haunted ship and retrieve a crystal ball. The ghosts on board the ship kept slaughtering my thief/mage so I decided to try another tactic. I drank an invisibility potion, ran through the ship into the hold and grabbed the crystal ball and then proceeded to hightail it out of the ship. Right as I am getting to the exit of the ship, my invisibility wears off and the ghosts spot me and follow me out of the ship. As soon I am on the docks I notice 2 of the ghosts had followed me out and were now causing havoc on the Anvil docks. I ran off and hid behind some rocks and watched as 2 guards and 6 townspeople fought with the 2 ghosts. When it was all over, the 2 guards were dead and 3 townspeople were floating dead in the water after being killed by the ghost pirates. Once the ghosts were dead, I ran down and looted all the dead bodies like the bastard thief that I am. Another memorable quest had me following 1000 year old clues to find an ancient fort hidden in the wilderness to retrieve an artifact for a Countess. I have yet to do a lame 'postal' quest or any other boring filler quest that usually shows up in RPGs. Hats off to Bethesda, Oblivion is the best RPG I have ever played and I have played too many RPG's in my day to count. As a matter of fact,I am spending too much time typing this post, I need to get back to the game.

P.S.
As far as comments about the stealth gameplay, once I levelled up my stealth skills to journeyman I became much more effective. Nothing like sneaking up on some bandit with poison on your arrow and then dropping him in one hit from a arrow sneak attack or sneak attacking a mage with a silence and magicka drain poison on your arrow. And pickpocketing successfully is all about knowing your surroundings and your target, there is an art to it but it takes practice. I also don't level my character until all of my skills are where I think they need to be for the next level. Everyone in the world is leveling when you do so if your skills aren't where they should be when you level you could be in trouble (especially with sneak).
VoodooKarma is offline   Reply With Quote