Last post by RAV
Yesterday 12:16 PM
27 Replies, 1,371 Views

Old 06-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Altered Beast is an awful game, I know facts are tough for you, you've shown that time and time again, but this is a great example of actual journalism where tough questions are asked rather than collusion like we have today in politics and the majority of the game industry.
How old are you? Did you play it when it was out? I did and it was a cool ass game. Of course it doesnt hold up to something like Mario, but what does?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #22
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Altered Beast was a SYSTEM SELLING GAME.

THAT is the fact. That's why it was the pack-in.

This is, once again, you showing that you don't accept or understand facts that you don't write yourself.
Altered Beast was in no way, shape or form a "system selling game"; it was the initial pack-in because Sega didn't have anything else to bundle with the Sega Genesis when it initially launched. It was immediately replaced with Sonic the Hedgehog once it was completed; when Tom Kalinski took over as CEO of Sega of American in 1990, part of his "four-point plan" to help drive the Genesis was to replace Altered Beast with Sonic.

It's ranked amongst the worst Genesis games of all time. It's not a good game at all.

No one bought a Genesis because of Altered Beast. They owned Altered Beast because they bought a Genesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
How old are you? Did you play it when it was out? I did and it was a cool ass game. Of course it doesnt hold up to something like Mario, but what does?
The game it was replaced with: Sonic the Hedgehog.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 PM   #23
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Altered Beast was a SYSTEM SELLING GAME.

THAT is the fact. That's why it was the pack-in.

This is, once again, you showing that you don't accept or understand facts that you don't write yourself.
If you really look back at what Sega had in arcades at the time, there was likely a half dozen or more titles that would have been better packs ins. Altered Beast with it's shitty voice overs and terrible animations was not that great a game even for back then. Take off the rose colored glasses. What sold Genesis systems was the fact that they had far better sports titles than Nintendo, they also didn't make a habit of outright censoring games like the original Mortal Kombat the way Nintendo did, never mind their arcade exclusive games like Golden Axe and the like that you couldn't get on Nintendo. Claiming people were clamoring for Altered Beasts is a pretty insane position to take, but given the source is you it's not all that surprising. You're an idiot.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:18 AM   #24
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Altered Beast was in no way, shape or form a "system selling game"; it was the initial pack-in because Sega didn't have anything else to bundle with the Sega Genesis when it initially launched. It was immediately replaced with Sonic the Hedgehog once it was completed; when Tom Kalinski took over as CEO of Sega of American in 1990, part of his "four-point plan" to help drive the Genesis was to replace Altered Beast with Sonic.

It's ranked amongst the worst Genesis games of all time. It's not a good game at all.

No one bought a Genesis because of Altered Beast. They owned Altered Beast because they bought a Genesis.

The game it was replaced with: Sonic the Hedgehog.
Right. Altered Beast was "immediately" replaced by Sonic The Hedgehog. OVER TWO YEARS LATER.

You're choosing to make things up. Sega didn't just HAPPEN to pack in Altered Beast. Altered a Beast was an incredibly popular arcade game and a technical showpiece at the time.

https://youtu.be/8sPoMcyPHSY (Boy, they sure are showcasing this "terrible" game a lot to be so embarrassed by it, aren't they?)

Altered Beast was an entire game built around showing off its graphical prowess. Which, at the time, meant enormous sprites that the NES couldn't do. Kids were used to Mario having one pixel for a mustache and Simon Belmont not having a face. Suddenly in Altered Beast you could actually see the characters individual muscles and the boss was the entire size of the screen. Altered Beast wAs basically the Uncharted of its day.

Yes. It was a system seller. Fact.

Now it's also true that people found it to have the exact same problem as most of Segas hit-arcade-game-to-home-port games. It was short, repetitive, easy and underwhelming. But that would follow Sega all the way from Shinobi to House Of The Dead.

But how satisfied a customer is has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a game is a system seller. Altered Beast made amazing screenshots that proved emoirically that it could do what Nintendo's NES couldn't.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #25
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Altered Beast was a system seller. Fact.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:25 AM   #26
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:

Altered Beast was a system seller. Fact.
It may have been intended to be a system seller...but the fact the remains that when the Genesis launched in the US in 1989, they only moved 500,000 units in the first year. It did even worse in Japan, when it was released a year prior.

Sonic the Hedgehog was created as a direct response to the console's slow start; it was spearheaded by Sega of America and was intentionally made to replace Altered Beast. After giving it a year, it was quite clear it was never going to be a system seller. After Sonic was bundled, Sega saw an immediate sales increase to the point where the Genesis was outselling the SNES to the tune of a 2:1 ratio the year the SNES was launched.

The failure of Altered Beast is why we have Sonic the Hedgehog. Fact.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:38 AM   #27
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I bought a Sega Genesis day one. Hell the box had English and French on the box. At the time Altered Beast looked great. Nintendo couldn't touch its graphics by a mile. That said, my brother and I beat the game the same day we bought the system, and never played it again.

Altered Beast was a crap game with zero replay value, and could be beaten in 20 minutes.

JazGalaxy, their is no reason I should see these games lagging on my iPhone 6. Hell, I have an emulator for my old Galaxy S3 that plays Genesis, and Sega CD games with zero issues.

Tags
sega, sega forever, sega genesis classics